Old 02-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #1

Beware Of Break-In's

I think a new thread should be started on this due to the economy. While at the RV CLEARANCE SALE in Hanover PA, I notics approx 6 campers had plactic covering some of the windows and when we went in the campers to have a look the screens were on the floor, this was on all makes but mainly the 5th wheels. We were in one of the Big Horn models and the factory rep came to see if we needed help, we talked a little about is rig then the question was ask "why the plastic on the windows, what happen to the class" well... they were broken in to and most of the electronics like the LCD tv's dvd players and so on were stolen. So everyone keep and eye on your rigs, as we all know the economy is bad with the lack of jobs and money more of this is going to happen. be carefull.

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #2

Thanks for the heads up I only live a couple miles from there, guess it's time to load the pistol and get the dogs on alert.

cma659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #3

I think for now the biggest problems with break ins are going to be in storage lots due to the lack of security and then dealers.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #4

The last couple of years I have been taking the LP tanks and the spare tire off while storing for the winter. I check on the camper several times during the season and hope there isn't any damage. So far we have been lucky.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #5

remember also that most storage locks for your rv are the same on everyone else's the key will have 751 on it.
maverick54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #6

A friend was telling me he read on a forum discussions of people returning to their campsites from a days outing to find someone has made off with their power line -- for the copper. I haven't come across this topic, anyone else?

Days camped in 2009: 6
Days camped in 2010: 4
cwarren78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #7

You can go to Lowe's and buy replacement locks, they have two different types one is a short cylinder and the other is a long cylinder, you want the long cylinder and you may have to enlarge the hole just a little on your storage compartment door so that the cylinder will fit. If you buy a replacement lock pay attention to the keys as to how they are cut, do not buy a lock to where the key cuts 0n the blade are close to the same depth, it makes it easyer to pic, the second thing to look for on the key is the first cut on the key, this at the bow of the key where you hold the key with your fingers you do not want a real deep cut at this point of the key. The deep cut here weakens the blade of the key and if the key is not inserted all the way and you force the cylinder to turn then this is when the blade will twist and over time the key will break. And by the way, the lock that are used are nothing but cheap furniture locks, they are easy to get into. At work one of the office staff lost the key to the file cabinet, I was able to open the lock with two paper clips, it took about two minutes.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick54 View Post
remember also that most storage locks for your rv are the same on everyone else's the key will have 751 on it.
While shopping for travel trailers last summer, I asked to see the pass-thru storage of a unit. The salesman said he would have to back to the office to get the keys......I saved him a trip, as I had the keys for the storage compartment on my Trailmanor in my pocket.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
While shopping for travel trailers last summer, I asked to see the pass-thru storage of a unit. The salesman said he would have to back to the office to get the keys......I saved him a trip, as I had the keys for the storage compartment on my Trailmanor in my pocket.

I see you got a charge out of that