Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
Site Team

Camping World Reports a Gross Profit Decrease of 9.3%

More news about CW's on going finical issues. See Here

I also saw they are selling and or closing several locations. Maybe the Evil Empire is beginning to crack.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #2

RV sales are down @ 20% year over year, but...............................

You can only rip people off for so long in a small market and 400,000 to 500,000 units sold in an industry yearly is a small market nationwide overall.

When you play shell games and use deceptive practices along with high prices, then try to add $1500 for not using your in house financing, $900 for a PDI, $200 for a battery, and $100 for full propane bottles, people eventually start realizing what a rip off you are.

They thrive on first time buyers, after the original screwing most folks learn something.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #3

"add $1500 for not using your in house financing, $900 for a PDI, $200 for a battery, and $100 for full propane bottles"
Don't forget the $1100 delivery/prep charge. When I ran, the door didn't have a chance to hit me in the azz. I was half a mile down the road before the salesperson knew I left.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel Swift View Post
RV sales are down @ 20% year over year, but...............................

They thrive on first time buyers, after the original screwing most folks learn something.
I once had a supplier tell me that he could screw everyone once and still be a millionaire. His business did not survive for long but he retired very rich. This appears to be the CW business plan.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:00 AM   #5

I've read numerous articles saying that declining RV sales are often a recession indicator. Additionally, after the last recession, the RV market went all out trying to recover. Buyers were once again able to purchase RV's and the manufacturers were all too happy to make sales. So, basically, they flooded the market and reached all of the potential buyers. Fewer people are looking to buy now. Plus, there are a lot of other signs of a softening economy. I'm hoping that those reading the tea leaves are wrong, but this while RV sales thing is a bad sign.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/one-cou...nd-11566207001
Old 11-09-2019, 04:32 AM   #6

Camping World ... I would not shop there only because of my experience when shopping for a hitch, 2 phone calls and the clear lack of knowledge from there parts told me never do business there .... I guess the economy depends on who's backyard you are standing in and the view from there .... the graph in the article shows many plus years and a few down years ... 2008 shows the big down turn when the bubble broke and yet I was turning down work and had my best year ever again whose backyard are you standing in .... I sold in 2010 after my best year in sales ... Getting employees was difficult at best so I got out ... a good friend with a successful lawn business kept going after years of short staffing and frustration he closed up let 7 workers go and kept 40 of his best accounts and works alone and happy to this day ... economy numbers are like any stat they have to be looked at closely if you are a manufacture and going up against your best year in sales ever and you are down 2% does that mean you are in trouble .... here is Florida a least I make my own economy in my backyard and RV sales never meant anything from my view .... I hope the view is good from where you are standing
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
Old 11-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
I've read numerous articles saying that declining RV sales are often a recession indicator. Additionally, after the last recession, the RV market went all out trying to recover. Buyers were once again able to purchase RV's and the manufacturers were all too happy to make sales. So, basically, they flooded the market and reached all of the potential buyers. Fewer people are looking to buy now. Plus, there are a lot of other signs of a softening economy. I'm hoping that those reading the tea leaves are wrong, but this while RV sales thing is a bad sign.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/one-cou...nd-11566207001

Not saying CW doesn’t have their issues but read something similar.

Elkhart is one of the cities used to monitor the economy by some indicators. Overall units sold, employment, etc.

It has softened but who knows. Will hit a lot more than just CW if it tanks.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #8

CW grew very fast even taking over Gander. Not surprising profits are down, waiting to see if they have losses in the future.

The CW I go by several times a year is presently quadrupling in size. It is now huge..............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 11-09-2019, 09:10 AM   #9

I always find these CW conversations interesting. Most folks seem to have a much different attitude/experience with them than I do. Makes me wonder if the negativity is based on something other than personal experience.
I enjoy CW. Great place to see a wide range of products. I buy there when the price is right. The employees have always been very friendly there. I would not take my RV there for service, but then I won't go to any large dealer for that.
You can't tell that RV sales are down in my area. Most of our local group either has new RVs or at least new to them. We are currently at NASCAR Phoenix and out of the 5500 RVs here, a fairly large percentage are brand new rigs.
So either hate or like CW, but overall it's no better or worse than any other RV dealer.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 11-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I always find these CW conversations interesting. Most folks seem to have a much different attitude/experience with them than I do. Makes me wonder if the negativity is based on something other than personal experience.
I enjoy CW. Great place to see a wide range of products. I buy there when the price is right. The employees have always been very friendly there. I would not take my RV there for service, but then I won't go to any large dealer for that.
You can't tell that RV sales are down in my area. Most of our local group either has new RVs or at least new to them. We are currently at NASCAR Phoenix and out of the 5500 RVs here, a fairly large percentage are brand new rigs.
So either hate or like CW, but overall it's no better or worse than any other RV dealer.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. I don't know if every location is a bunch of snakes but the one in Harrisburg PA sure is.

Personal experience? How about making a deal over the phone, working out the total with them including tax and tags, putting $2500.00 down via CC, going to my credit union and withdrawing $20000.00 in the form of a bank check made out to CW, and then driving 180 miles the following Saturday to be told the deal will not be honored, we need another $6400.00? Is that a good enough example?

I talked with those folks 5 different times including the sales manager before I drove across the state a week later to be told that BS. They had even sent me the VIN and a sales order sheet. I had already put the unit on the insurance the day before we went there. When I brought up the fact we had an agreement and pulled out the written order, the response from the GM was "you can always sue us if you want".

I happened to get a glance through the door of the sales office while heading for the door. On the big white board just so happened to be someone else's name on the unit we made the deal on. I guess they found a sucker in the meantime.

The kicker? They tried to keep the $2500 deposit, glad I had used a CC. Said they would gladly apply it towards another in stock unit. I gladly had my bank cancel the charge.

Camping World is the greatest.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #11

I appreciate your experience and that fact you acknowledge that it could be just the CW you were at. Sorry you had that experience.
We all have horror stories on deals with dealers. But what chaps me is when folks say all CWs are corrupt. It's like saying all the Ford dealers across the nation are terrible because your local dealer did you wrong on one transaction.
Just trying to show the other side of the coin on these threads whose main purpose is to bash a product or organization for whatever reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel Swift View Post
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. I don't know if every location is a bunch of snakes but the one in Harrisburg PA sure is.

Personal experience? How about making a deal over the phone, working out the total with them including tax and tags, putting $2500.00 down via CC, going to my credit union and withdrawing $20000.00 in the form of a bank check made out to CW, and then driving 180 miles the following Saturday to be told the deal will not be honored, we need another $6400.00? Is that a good enough example?

I talked with those folks 5 different times including the sales manager before I drove across the state a week later to be told that BS. They had even sent me the VIN and a sales order sheet. I had already put the unit on the insurance the day before we went there. When I brought up the fact we had an agreement and pulled out the written order, the response from the GM was "you can always sue us if you want".

I happened to get a glance through the door of the sales office while heading for the door. On the big white board just so happened to be someone else's name on the unit we made the deal on. I guess they found a sucker in the meantime.

The kicker? They tried to keep the $2500 deposit, glad I had used a CC. Said they would gladly apply it towards another in stock unit. I gladly had my bank cancel the charge.

Camping World is the greatest.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #12

CW was around when I was an RV'r in the 80's. In those days, CW was essential because there was no internet and no Amazon.
There is no longer a need for analog shopping at their stores when you can order the same stuff online.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #13

I LOVE OUR 2014 FOREST RIVER ULTRA LITE 2608WS

We Bought there at Camping World of Kingston Ny BUT !!!!!

we were so excited we for got to ask for key's...
we got home called Camping World of Kingston Ny No Key's
went back and forth for 2 month's Still No Key's !!!!
WHATE ... IF YOUR NOT HAPPY IM NOT HAPPY What A Joke !!!!!!

The Propane tanks were all most empty
they never cleaned off the slide
there was bark twigs crap & the slide leaks now
the worst part.
No Shank to get my reece hitch at the proper hight...
sent us home with a 8" drop no sway bar's nothing
that 8" drop is good for 5,000 lbs and we were praying on it the hole way home
i will never buy any thing there again sound people bull Craping on every step of the sail
playing with the cell phone
Still No Key's
Old 11-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #14

Sounds like a lack of preparedness and inspection on your part also played a role
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO-BOO-IS-IN-CAMP View Post
I LOVE OUR 2014 FOREST RIVER ULTRA LITE 2608WS

We Bought there at Camping World of Kingston Ny BUT !!!!!

we were so excited we for got to ask for key's...
we got home called Camping World of Kingston Ny No Key's
went back and forth for 2 month's Still No Key's !!!!
WHATE ... IF YOUR NOT HAPPY IM NOT HAPPY What A Joke !!!!!!

The Propane tanks were all most empty
they never cleaned off the slide
there was bark twigs crap & the slide leaks now
the worst part.
No Shank to get my reece hitch at the proper hight...
sent us home with a 8" drop no sway bar's nothing
that 8" drop is good for 5,000 lbs and we were praying on it the hole way home
i will never buy any thing there again sound people bull Craping on every step of the sail
playing with the cell phone
Still No Key's
Old 11-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #15
waybeck2018

Quote:
I appreciate your experience and that fact you acknowledge that it could be just the CW you were at. Sorry you had that experience.
We all have horror stories on deals with dealers. But what chaps me is when folks say all CWs are corrupt. It's like saying all the Ford dealers across the nation are terrible because your local dealer did you wrong on one transaction.
Just trying to show the other side of the coin on these threads whose main purpose is to bash a product or organization for whatever reason.

Three of the four I have tried to use are basically the same. I live within 2 miles of one CW. Five years ago I special ordered a 41ft 5th wheel and when it arrived the interior was no where near what we had ordered. So, had to wait another 9 weeks for the correct one to arrive. Warranty service, forget that. They are not interested in honoring warranty issues. Took me over two months to get a new awning motor, six months to get a new mattress (the original was not functional. When it came to the toilet that broke (flush valve pedal) I walked in and took one from the floor. Told them to call police if they wanted and that I would bring the broken one back tomorrow. DW and I replace the toilet. So, good luck at CW. Yes, we still buy there for parts/supplies, but only becausewe have to drive right by it several times a week, and now and then, actually get a fair non-inflated price.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
Old 11-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #16
Retired Old Fart

Actually it sounds like the market at work. There seems to be a overly large number of unsatisfied CW customers for various reasons. They vote with their pocketbooks and after that first bad experience spend their money elsewhere. I thought this is how it was supposed to work? The poorly managed unresponsive companies wither and died.

I've used CW a few times, mostly when I owned my first TT back in early 2000's and there were no other options for the parts I needed. Prices were basically full retail, but again no other option. That model does not fly as well now with the internet. I'll go to the CW supershow when it's in town (like the Great American RV show in Conyers, GA next week) but it's just to look. Now way I'm even considering buying a unit from them. Even for parts they are the source of last resort IMO. Most of my parts or components for upgrades now come from Amazon, e-Trailer, Tweety's, or other online sources.

As to the overall RV market slowdown. There are only so many people in the age and finance category who are inclined to buy units in the first place. After the recovery from the fall in sales related to the 2008 recession, pretty much everyone who wanted to has likely already bought or upgraded their units by now. Yes, there are some people who like with cars, will upgrade to the newest model every year, but that is not the majority IMO. It would also be a natural cycle for a slowdown to occur after the boom peaked. Also factor in the large number of millennial's who are under employed and still living at home and you are taking a lot out of the younger segment of the market (I still have a 29 year old under my wing so I fully understand this category). So many young people have no real idea of what it takes to live the life like we did when we were that age, much less plan for the future. Plus the idea of a true retirement plan no longer exists for most companies or even government employment. They have pushed everyone into a portable investment account and only make a certain contribution with the lure of it will be so much more money since you can totally manage your own account. That lure depends on certain conditions, and if those conditions are not met, then what? No such thing as a "defined benefit" or traditional retirement plan anymore. 20 to 30 years from now that implication will hit home with the young. The money world has changed, and I'm not sure it's for the better.

Just my thoughts....
Old 11-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #17

Nomad297,
NMWildcat is not alone, I get tired of the CW bashing on this forum, granted there are probably unscrupulous CW locations, but I have had nothing but good experiences with our local CW in Roanoke, VA. I am on my 3rd MH in 3 yrs. 1st foray in camping was a used 98 Winnebago Adventurer, after a couple of trips DW decided if we are going to do this I could buy new, Hello! Purchased a 2017 FR3 32DSin Feb of 19 from RV dealer in Richmond, VA that was purchased by CW. Had alot of issues but none the fault of CW, all FR. Our local CW went over and above making repairs and working with FR on repairs, last straw was a leaky roof, had to go back to factory for a new roof and interior wall boards. Got it back after 4 months at factory, traded for current 34H5. The CW I purchased from was McGeorge in Ashland, VA. I had a few issues took back to them once and was not happy. So now my local CW works on it when needed. had them install Roadmaster rear sway bar, very professional installation and only cost $69.00, installation special. Their warranty clerk is excellent along with the service reps. I shop for supplies there, a' ways a good supply on hand. maybe my CW is the rarity, maybe other CW's could learn something from them.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #18

Oops, wrong date on the FR3 purchase . February of 2018.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #19
Site Team

Agree. My cw in bossier City is great with service. I have no complaints. I believe that if xyz RV center had 100 stores, they'd be bad mouthed too.
Quote:

Old 11-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I believe that if xyz RV center had 100 stores, they'd be bad mouthed too.
What does having a certain number of stores have to do with anything? I don’t hear too many people bad-mouthing Walmart and their customer service, and I do believe they have more stores than Camping World does.

Bruce
Closed Thread

Tags
camping