Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
Chicago & Rosemont RV Shows

Hello,

Just wanted to comment on the recent RV Shows here in the Chicago area. The Chicago Boat, Sports and RV Show held @ McCormick Place Jan 12 through the 16th and the 44th Annual Chicago RV & Camping Show which Runs Feb 15 through the 20th in Rosemont at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center.

The Chicago Boat, Sports and RV Show held @ McCormick was lighter on the Camping and RV portion as the Boat portion dominated the show in size and focus. The RV portion was tucked away in the back and you had to walk past the boats in order to get to the camping, not a big deal, but it was intentional. Stoney had a massive display of boats, scuba and fishing that would have been nice to stop and check out, but not this round.

I had no intentions on stopping to see any of the boats as that would certainly lengthen the visit, causing moods to shift and risking the whole trip falling apart. I had the wife and our four kids in tow, so I wasn't going to risk it. We weren't on a mission to purchase, but we did make a great deal through General RV. We ended up buying Prime Time's Tracer Touring Edition 3150BHD. That purchase sucked up the last bit of patience from all of us, but still managed to shoot through the remaining dealers skimming over only TT's that had outside kitchens, second door bathroom access and the kid bunk house. It wasn't the type of search I would have had if it were just the wife and I but we were spent.

As for the 44th Annual Chicago RV & Camping Show, it was much larger and the fact that it was dedicated to camping and RV, they had a much greater display. I went on opening day and Friday to thoroughly check out if we made the right choice in a TT. I did see some really nice 5th wheels that had nicer stock features like the battery kill switch and enclosed propane/battery compartments. However, that's a complete different category, but it made me see the value in modding.

They had a few rows of vendors promoting camp sites, I also found a vendor who makes covers, fives sizes one price. $179 and they are based out of IL. They specialize in corvette car covers and swear they're cover is better than the Tyvek covers by DuPont. Unfortunately they do not have a web site, and I cannot find the flyer.

Anyway, if your in the area, I recommend stopping by the Rosemont show as its still on today and Sunday. 43 days till camping season!!
2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2018 Highland Ridge 275 Light
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #2

Thanks for info. I was disappointed at the McCormick place show. Gonna visit rosemont show tomorrow.

Let you know if I find the cover guy your referring too there.
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNewbees
Thanks for info. I was disappointed at the McCormick place show. Gonna visit rosemont show tomorrow.

Let you know if I find the cover guy your referring too there.
The Mccormic place boat and RV show was the boat show with a few rvs it has grown to a section given to rvs
the RV show in rosemont is all rvs. We went Friday and it was so much better than going on the weekend a lot less kids running around and less people to dealer with

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #4

Was there on Sat. it`s a good show. but this year there just wasn`t anything that made you go OOOOH. unless you wanted an outside kitchen that you couldn`t reach the cabinets. or a Class C with the power cord right next to the fuel filler neck, maybe a swing out grille with a 6 foot arc! don`t park up against a tree you couldn`t use it. lots of what the heck are they thinking ideas. the other good one was a small storage door below the floor line that you couldn`t even fit a case of drinks in unless you took them out and laid them down!

Makes me glad I have what I have!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Was there on Sat. it`s a good show. but this year there just wasn`t anything that made you go OOOOH. unless you wanted an outside kitchen that you couldn`t reach the cabinets. or a Class C with the power cord right next to the fuel filler neck, maybe a swing out grille with a 6 foot arc! don`t park up against a tree you couldn`t use it. lots of what the heck are they thinking ideas. the other good one was a small storage door below the floor line that you couldn`t even fit a case of drinks in unless you took them out and laid them down!

Makes me glad I have what I have!
I can reach the cabinets on our outside kitchen except for the back of the top cabinet. That's what I have a taller DH for - or the collapsable step stool. It's part of my life, since i'm only 5' tall. I'm used to having to stand on a step stool for just about everything.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to grasseater
sunny island rv was suppose to be there from rockford ill.I just bought a 2006 georgetown se 350ds from them here in rockford.nice people
grasseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
I can reach the cabinets on our outside kitchen except for the back of the top cabinet. That's what I have a taller DH for - or the collapsable step stool. It's part of my life, since i'm only 5' tall. I'm used to having to stand on a step stool for just about everything.
No disagreement from me on the outside kitchen. My buddy is 6'2" and he still could not reach the inside of the cabinets. This was the only trailer i have seen with this issue! Hate to be parked with the kitchen on the leveled side of the trailer!!!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote