Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2022, 07:34 PM   #1

Dexter Axle Woes

I follow the Airstream forum. They have a new thread about Dexter recalling axles. Some posts mention Airstream trailers having the wheels fall off. Allegedly, all Airstream shipments have been stopped and dealers have been instructed not to deliver new trailers. No word on what the bottom line issue is.

I'm wondering if the issue could also end up affecting FR trailers.
Think the issue will cause any tarnish to the shiny Airstream reputation?
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I follow the Airstream forum. They have a new thread about Dexter recalling axles. Some posts mention Airstream trailers having the wheels fall off. Allegedly, all Airstream shipments have been stopped and dealers have been instructed not to deliver new trailers. No word on what the bottom line issue is.

Since Thor Industries bought out Airstream, their reputation has gone downhill for some time. All you have to do is visit the Airstream owners forum and you'll find out that they have the same quality issues that the rest of the RV Industry has.
They are no longer as polished and shiny.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post

Dexter may manufacture the axles but do they actually install the brakes, hubs, and wheels?

My trailer came with Dexter axles but brakes and drums were NOT Dexter. They were import design which is what Lippert is selling today.

"Wheels falling off" can be caused by other problems than the axle. Failure to properly secure spindle nut and over-tightening lug nuts are a couple of common ones.

As usual, without the whole story whi knows what's happening.

As for Airstream's reputation, just about every company that's purchased by a larger company suffers as the new company makes changes.

I experienced this in 1996 when the company I was working for sold. Only good thing was that my shares in the company held in our retirement plan tripled in value and we all got cashed out. I stuck around 8 more years and retired with a nice 401k added.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:00 PM   #4

I have a 2016 32' Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 5th wheel 8281WS and wondering if it came with "self adjusting" breaks or "manual" adjusting. I do not see any adjusting wheel when I look with my flash light. My breaks on the trailer are no longer responsive when truck brake peddle is applied. Can a novice trouble shoot the breaks on this unit? Any info would be appreciated.
Wayne Neilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Dexter may manufacture the axles but do they actually install the brakes, hubs, and wheels?

My trailer came with Dexter axles but brakes and drums were NOT Dexter. They were import design which is what Lippert is selling today.
You or a manufacture can order a Dexter axle with brakes and springs, only thing left off is wheels and tires See attached for example.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dexter axle as-built.pdf (51.9 KB, 153 views)
Old 08-17-2022, 10:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Neilson View Post
I have a 2016 32' Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 5th wheel 8281WS and wondering if it came with "self adjusting" breaks or "manual" adjusting. I do not see any adjusting wheel when I look with my flash light. My breaks on the trailer are no longer responsive when truck brake peddle is applied. Can a novice trouble shoot the breaks on this unit? Any info would be appreciated.
I would recommend you jack the trailer, pull off the wheel and hub, and do a real visual inspection to determine what the status of the brake mechanisms are.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, dexter