Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I forgot about them. I guess I'll see if I can buy some stuff online before my Goodsams expires- that is unless ebay is cheaper!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!

eBay is probably cheaper, but it was nice to walk into a brick and motor and buy all the stuff for the initial stocking of a new TT.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #22
Oklahoma Proud

I'm the same way on stuff sometimes. There is a dealer on my way home from work I stop at sometimes. Unfortunately Camping world is about 50 miles out of my way, and dw didn't like the manager & sales staff there when we looked at a Seirra.
done highjackin

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #23

I agree that CW you pay a little more then ebay, but they have never argued with me about when I bought it or anything. They gave me a new product no questions asked. For me paying a few bucks extra is worth it. You can stop at any CW anywhere and take care of your problem. Now I wouldn't ever have them service my unit, they charge double of what a dealer would. But there products are in stock, and if you use your GS card you get a discount which makes it work for me. If I'm looking for some simple cheap thing then I will use Amazon free shipping in 2 days for $79.00 bucks got that back and then some. I used to have Passport America, never again. The parks we went to where dumps and they always have black out dates. Just my opinion which means nothing.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
eBay is probably cheaper, but it was nice to walk into a brick and motor and buy all the stuff for the initial stocking of a new TT.
I renew my GS membership whenever I need to make a major purchase at CW. That pays the renewal fee. And last time CW sent me a $10 and a $25 coupon for renewing.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #25

Quote:
And honestly, probably fewer people see a need to join one of these programs . Besides the spam and junk mail from anything you sign up for these days. The cost may outway the benefits.
We bought in and learned a lot. If you are full timer it's a bargain and half and then some.
Live in your RV and camp every night - for $459 a year. All in "resorts" as they call themselves..not sure i'd apply that title but they are better than most CGs we've stayed in.

so $50 or $60 a night times 365...$18,000 a year? No comparison.

From the CG side...don't know. I think our CG has has 1200 members, at $300/year each guaranteed, plus more from cabin rentals and some $10/night programs.
They also offer seasonal sites to members for $1500...look like a good 40 took them up on that.
And to buy in is $5-10k...figure 7k avg and 1200 members...that can make for a nice nest egg.
I"m sure there's a member fee for ROD/AOR and such.

Marketing is minimal - you have members that pay - it's in the contract they HAVE to pay. so guaranteed income.

If you do some RV shows and incentives to members to sell new memberships and call sell, what 30 a year? 50? 100? More? At 7k a pop...

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #26
Tinkerer and Putterer

Pymatuning joined Travel Resorts of America. We drank the kool aid and joined this network. 10.00 a night for multiple campgrounds per state includng one out on the outer banks that's become one of our favorites. Folks can buy a spot per night for 100.00 but for me 10.00 a night is much nicer especially when I go 5 times a year.

Travel Resorts of America, Pymatuning Adventure Resort

The aw shucks part of these memberships is that in the fine print you are in essence signing a time share contract with a ninety year expiration date and an open ended ability to jack maintenance costs on a yearly basis. Also in the fine print, is that this contract can only be sold once and thereafter the buyer is stuck and cannot sell. I don't know about giving it away but if I was going to drop 7K on something I wouldn't sign that contract with that kind of verbage in it. I "upgraded" the terms to an open ended membership with no expiration or limitations on the number of times it can be sold but there is still a maintenance fee just like a time share so unless you're like us, planning to full time in the future or are already full timers and willing to prepay those fees in advance then it can be a deal. However, IMO it's a bum deal for an occassional camper. Thankfully, folks can also pay that nightly rate referenced earlier and still go to those campsites.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #27

Live and learn...and don't be 'sold' LOL
For full timers I think it's pretty sweet deal...for us casual campers..not so much. BUT since it's all prepaid we can camp and not think about 'well, we need $400 for camping this week'.
Public CGs near our resort are $80-100 a night, often a requiring a 2 weekend night stay, plus you pay for every amenity (like mini golf, etc). With kids that adds up.

Our cost for 10 years of our contract, mtce, one assessment so far, annual fee for ROD/AOR./ACN works out to about 10k.
If we camp 14 days a year on avg..that's $71 a night.

More than a state park..but you get more too.
And we can camp a lot more.

And a dedicated seasonal spot around here is $1500-2k, around our resort more like $3k - plus at some you have to maintain your site (cut grass, etc).

We might be able to camp more this year now that my wife changed jobs. Our resort lets us leave our TT there for free (so we were told) or a minimal fee (less than the turnpike fees for a round trip plus the extra gas spent towing).

They are in breach of the contract...if I pushed the issue we'd maybe get something back from it...not sure the legal costs would be worth it though. It says nobody gets 'assigned' sites and 2 years ago they added the option to get a seasonal (same) spot all season...for $1500-2k on TOP of the membership buy in.

for $3k we can convert at any time to a lifetime...and get rights to sell or will our membership. BUT as we found out you also agree to the maintenance fee for life too! there is no option to 'sell back' or give up your membership!

Don't pay and they'll turn you into the credit bureaus and you lose all your benefits, membership in the rod/aor/acn network, etc. A lot like blackmail IMO.

And I don't know...when you die if you kids inherit what you own they then get saddles with a $300 annual maintenace fee...cheap for unlimited camping if they camp of course.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
Pymatuning joined Travel Resorts of America. We drank the kool aid and joined this network. 10.00 a night for multiple campgrounds per state includng one out on the outer banks that's become one of our favorites. Folks can buy a spot per night for 100.00 but for me 10.00 a night is much nicer especially when I go 5 times a year.

Travel Resorts of America, Pymatuning Adventure Resort

The aw shucks part of these memberships is that in the fine print you are in essence signing a time share contract with a ninety year expiration date and an open ended ability to jack maintenance costs on a yearly basis. Also in the fine print, is that this contract can only be sold once and thereafter the buyer is stuck and cannot sell. I don't know about giving it away but if I was going to drop 7K on something I wouldn't sign that contract with that kind of verbage in it. I "upgraded" the terms to an open ended membership with no expiration or limitations on the number of times it can be sold but there is still a maintenance fee just like a time share so unless you're like us, planning to full time in the future or are already full timers and willing to prepay those fees in advance then it can be a deal. However, IMO it's a bum deal for an occassional camper. Thankfully, folks can also pay that nightly rate referenced earlier and still go to those campsites.

We joined Travel Resorts in 2008 when they only had 2 properties (Gettysburg Battlefield Resort & Sycamore Lodge Resort). Our contract is open ended to a point. We can sell it or it is willable for 4 generations. However, we are restricted to just the 2 original resorts and 60 day advance reservations. I have heard that some of the older contracts (1990's) sold had no restrictive language and included "all future properties". We had the opportunity to "upgrade" to all owned resorts and 90 day advance reservations but, hoping to be fulltimers soon, we declined. However, that being said, we certainly have taken advantage of our membership and have used Battlefield Resort extensively for the past 5 years. If you're fortunate to live close enough for extended stays then it is worth it in the long run. For example, we use our membership for stays of 12 - 14 days at a time 4 or 5 times a season. At say, $50 a night for those extended stays over that past 5 years, the cost would be around $18,750. So, in my case, I've saved more than twice our initial investment.

Another perk is being part of Coast to Coast which allows is to stay at reciprocal resorts for the equivalent of $10-$15 per/nite. We've used that extensively also for our annual trips to Myrtle Beach. At $145 annual membership plus our 11 day stay =$255. Compared to our first trip to Myrtle Beach at Apache, that stay cost us $455. So, for us, its' been worth it and worked out for us.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #29
Oklahoma Proud

Man...I need to open one of these kind of cg's! Sounds like a no loose business from the cg's side.

Then maybe I can retire and camp all the time and vacation at my house!

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #30
Tinkerer and Putterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
We had the opportunity to "upgrade" to all owned resorts and 90 day advance reservations but, hoping to be fulltimers soon, we declined.
That would be the one we opted for and we're based out of Sycamore Lodge. The CG is 90 minutes from our door so yeah it works out well for us. There's also a state CG called Jordan Lake that we really like too. The sites are well spaced and tree covered. 25.00 a night for the feeling of being with nature is awesome. While I would like to say the Sycamore is the best thing since sliced bread as far as CGs go IMO Jordan beats the pants off of it. The only amenities are running water and a power hookup. Oh and a communal bathroom if you don't mind the skeeters But for a fisherman like me it's pure heaven. Now the kiddos, they prefer the mini golf, pool, golf carts, hoops, music and movies at Sycamore so you can guess where we spend more time
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I renew my GS membership whenever I need to make a major purchase at CW. That pays the renewal fee. And last time CW sent me a $10 and a $25 coupon for renewing.
I ama Charter GS Lifetime...still, I have found the absolute best prices can be had on Amazon
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #32

It's an interesting business model - but with 'members' (no voting or say in anything BTW) you have long term obligations. No clue what the repurcussions of going bankrupt would be. Or trying to retire.

Roaring Run tried to sell 2 years ago to new owners and eventually the deal went bust. We have no sewage at our CG and they (new owners) did a survey to try and see what it would take...since the deal fell through I assume too much cost.

We did get 'assessed' $80 for the survey and CG-wide wi-fi...which costs $5/day to use (or did last year..waiting to hear what if any fees for this year). You can get free wifi in the lodge so not a big deal...unless your my kids of course LOL
I avoid 'connecting' when camping so I don't care.

The new owners did install a gate with the idea of issuing cards for in/out (currently there is a guard shack and it's manual).

I can't imagine the legal nightmare of paperwork when the deal fell thru since the improvements had been done, 'remarketing' had been done - trying to upsell and offer lower mantinence fees if you did and if you signed up friends.
Quote:
Man...I need to open one of these kind of cg's! Sounds like a no loose business from the cg's side.

Then maybe I can retire and camp all the time and vacation at my house!

Old 06-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #33

Prof i am a new ROD member with roaring run as my home cg. Spent 10 days there during memorial dah and i must say i was slightly disappointed in the resort. It was not nearly as nice, upgraded, or modern as told during sales pitch. The sewage is my biggest beef with the restrictions on wifi second and pet limitation third. Became members in winter and weather sort of prohibited a drive tour of cg. It is a nice place but thats as high a review i would give it. Since wife and i fulltiming as soon as we tie up loose ends i will not be there fulltime just for a week here and there when coming back to PGH. for doc appts.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forest River Forums mobile app
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #34

We were there over memorial day weekend as well. The pool was cold - but open. It's been a tough early spring here and it showed there - many sites were full of leaves.

They did get the stump out from infront of the door to the teen lodge..the one that was 'soon to open' 4 years ago when we joined..that's been the first progress we've seen.

For us the wifi is a double edged sword - we won't pay for it so our kids can't get it and that's good when camping (also a reason we don't have a tv in the camper). But we were assesed for it...so we paid for the install and if we want to use it have to pay more...something very wrong in that IMO.

On the plus side- the CG is always quiet. when we joined there were no golf carts allowed so it was quieter, more 'special' as I'm not a fan of the CGs where it's like times square with carts always running around.

Turns out Pymatuning Adventure Resort is now an ROD resort (before there AOR I believe). So you can go there for free as well (twice a year at least). And we plan to hit up the gettysburg ROD in July, also free.

Check out the prices for CGs around champion/somerset and you may find RR is a bargain. We stayed 3 nights - at Pioneer Park up the road that would have run $250+.

As for sewage hookup.. we're used to not having it. Can easily stay 3-4 days w/o issue. Pymatuning has sewer and all it really means is we dump before pulling out - often their hookups there are too far apart for water/elec/sewer at the same time anyway.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #35

We are heading to Erie Island resort, an ROD, in 10 days for a week. Never been to port clinton or put in Bay so am excited. Until our house sells we are going to go visit the ROD ' S close, Gettysburg and 2 in new York near niagra. As for the golf carts, that is funny, I told the wife I was more worried about the golf carts than people when driving through site. I love the quiet in the morning and night. Had a nice spot, #67, had a hole to see sky through trees and was close to shower house. I can definitely see why people choose Roaring Run as their summer home every weekend or longer. The staff was very friendly and helpful which in my opinion is a serious PLUS.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Forest River Forums mobile app
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #36

I went to port clinton a couple of times last year for Camp Perry competitions. Expensive to stay in the area though as cedar point and the islands are all summer hot spots.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #37

I dropped our GS after a year. Worthless magazine and junk mail. And our dealer keeps parts in better stock than CW for roughly the same price. And it's the same 2 guys that stock it and run it. They have both been there for over 20 years. I get tired of the clueless dimwits at the one south of Indy. Even with Good Sam discount, they aren't worth the dollar or so less. CW is the Walmart of camping, and I hate Walmart.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #38

does this mean camping industry is improving or dying?

The lady at camping world myrtle beach got completely sh**ty with me after she pushed the membership over and over and I kept declining over and over. She just wouldn't take no for an answer. I ended up getting a little stern and she stopped. Threw my stuff in a bag and wouldnt say a word after that. Told her thanks and have a great day but she shot me a dirty look. Couldn't believe it
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
The lady at camping world myrtle beach got completely sh**ty with me after she pushed the membership over and over and I kept declining over and over. She just wouldn't take no for an answer. I ended up getting a little stern and she stopped. Threw my stuff in a bag and wouldnt say a word after that. Told her thanks and have a great day but she shot me a dirty look. Couldn't believe it

Think I know that lady. Gave me a hard time when I needed to order something and said they would call when it was in..........never got a call and finally just went over and picked it up. No telling how long it would have sat there until they just sent it back.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Think I know that lady. Gave me a hard time when I needed to order something and said they would call when it was in..........never got a call and finally just went over and picked it up. No telling how long it would have sat there until they just sent it back.

Yeah she was a piece of work! That stuff turns me off and I won't be back there again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping