Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2020, 07:06 PM   #1

Angry Dometic Moving Awning work to Mexico

Dometic has announced the intention to close its LaGrange, Ind., manufacturing site.

“This is a tough day for our employees in LaGrange,” said Scott Nelson, president of Dometic North America.

Dometic will work closely with state and local government officials to coordinate services that will help the affected workers with job search assistance, education and training opportunities, and to minimize the difficult impacts of the layoff.

“We fully understand the consequences for affected employees and their families, and this is a difficult message to deliver, but this activity is necessary at this time,” said Nelson. “As part of our continuous strive to become more efficient, transferring our awnings production to our existing facility in Mexico will ensure that our manufacturing meets our customer’s requirements for lead time, quality and cost.”

The company had a meeting with the union representatives and employees this afternoon to discuss the plans.
boomer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #2

Cost cutting....Period.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:27 PM   #3

The RV industry has been hit hard by tariffs and is in the midst of a downturn. No doubt it's cheaper to make them south of the border.

https://www.kpcnews.com/newssun/arti...cc4471fb9.html
Old 01-26-2020, 11:19 PM   #4
Green Horn

Shame on them....not much we can do as consumers..
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #5

We all read a lot of complaints about quality on this forum. Maybe this is part of a solution. Mexico products seem to be pretty good nowadays.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:38 AM   #6

It may be an improvement as to quality. On our 3rd dometic power awning since Dec 2018.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:43 PM   #7

Dometic Moving

No problem for me. Dometic awnings on my last 2 trailers were terrible and had to be replaced in less than 3 years. I will only by CAREFREE equipment from now on. That's a Colorado business.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #8
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
At what point will it make sense to the manufacturers? Save a few $$, put a lot of people out of work. Those same people will no longer be able to afford to buy the products! Since the manufacturer cannot sell the products to those they unemployed....the cycle repeats! Wake up, corporate America!! Yes it may cost more to keep those here employed, but those paychecks are what keep you, and everybody else in business!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #9

There r more jobs available than people! U must put out a quality product! The Mexican people don’t have a job unless they work hard, sometimes American workers just want to get paid and obviously in this case the company had enough! I am pro USA as long as it’s quality is equal or better!
Jdhudkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #10

Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
We all read a lot of complaints about quality on this forum. Maybe this is part of a solution. Mexico products seem to be pretty good nowadays.
Any thing but china.
almcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #11

Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin211 View Post
Shame on them....not much we can do as consumers..
Is it a union shop? Just asking.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #12

Work

Money has to go around, we will not have any if jobs keep leaving the USA. Our standard of living will have to go down if we don't have enough to circulate at a certain level!
Ronald B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post

Moving to the AC plant in Mexico and never, ever hear of a Dometic AC unit having problems or anyone having 2 or 3 replaced under warranty ~~~~ RIGHT? Just greed is all I see!

I wonder how many AC units and awnings they sell in Mexico
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:50 PM   #14
Jayhawker

Dometic awnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
At what point will it make sense to the manufacturers? Save a few $$, put a lot of people out of work. Those same people will no longer be able to afford to buy the products! Since the manufacturer cannot sell the products to those they unemployed....the cycle repeats! Wake up, corporate America!! Yes it may cost more to keep those here employed, but those paychecks are what keep you, and everybody else in business!
Well said! I totally agree.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcguire View Post
Any thing but china.
Have a close friend who had a manufacturing facility in Seattle. Small operation but reasonably profitable. When he started having quality control issues he moved the line to China. Funny thing was he was getting a much better built product but at a higher cost. Sorta opposite to normal thinking, huh?

Next funny thing...because of the better quality he was able to increase sales to the point that the bottom line profits were higher than when he was operating in Seattle even thought the per unit cost was higher.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:56 PM   #16

Bye Bye,Dometic! Simply Put,I Have A Choice,It's My Money,And I Speak With It! There Will Be No New Nor Replacement Dometic Products Purchased By Me!
cedarcreekbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, dometic