Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2021, 09:46 PM   #21

Darned space heaters.

I wonder how big a space heater that was. They discovered it when they reviewed camera footage.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I would guess just opposite....... Saying that I have never been in a Forest River Plant or a plant in Indiana. But..... I have been in nearly every factory in SW Virginia including a Fleetwood Mobile home plant. Most plants do have fire sprinkler systems. Insurance companies and OSHA require an annual inspection of the system.

Before the furniture factories moved to China we had weekly fires in the plants so it is not too surprising to me with the nature of contents of Forest Rivers plants. (Not often did they get out of hand though.)

I agree but the statement the building was fully involved before the fire was noticed was curious. If sprinkled an alarm should have been sent the moment water began to flow. Fire spread should also have been slowed by sprinkler. At thats how I understand.

In our tire warehouses we had to not only have sprinklers but huge booster pumps as well. Only way to keep a tire fire from getting out of hand is to drown it asap.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I agree but the statement the building was fully involved before the fire was noticed was curious. If sprinkled an alarm should have been sent the moment water began to flow. Fire spread should also have been slowed by sprinkler. At thats how I understand.

In our tire warehouses we had to not only have sprinklers but huge booster pumps as well. Only way to keep a tire fire from getting out of hand is to drown it asap.
It is hard to tell if they had a system, how it was set up and how well it was maintained. I agree a system should have slowed the spread, but not knowing the building age, continents and any chemicals involved we can only guess. I still bet they had a system. I have seen a lot of plant fires over the years this one from what little I have seen does not surprise me esp. if no one was there. Also a huge factor is if the fire dept. is volunteer or not.

Also I believe everything the media says................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:42 AM   #24
Site Team

There is a LOT of plastic in an RV. Any brand- it doesn't matter.
Plastic burns like the petroleum it's made from. It spreads rapidly and does not respond to sprinklers as well as say wood or cardboard. An entire huge like the size of a shopping mall building burned to the ground at GE Appliance park where I worked for most of my adult life. Sprinklers were ineffective as the building was stacked to the ceiling with plastic parts. Even the huge main steel columns which were 2 inches thick and 24 x 24 on the sides collapsed and looked like pretzels afterwards.
Thankfully no one was hurt. They think it was lightening as there was a severe storm in the area just before the alarm.
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #25
NXR

Quote:

I used to work on a fire department and also in a Safety, Health and Environment capacity at a different job. One case study for the ages is about a fire at a paint storage warehouse in Dayton, OH in May 1987. That warehouse held something like eight months of production of paints and related chemicals for Sherwin-Williams, automotive paints, I believe.

The talk I attended was from one of the Sherwin-Williams safety people about what went right and what went wrong. That building had full fire walls, four-hour rating as I recall, and was fully sprinkled. The fire started on a forklift and spread rapidly. The building was on the ground in like a half-hour.

The rep said the one thing that saved them was that Sherwin-Williams mandated that all plant managers have a disaster kit in their cars, a kit that contained the full set of emergency response plans. In the trunk of his car was everything they needed to "work the plan". Nowadays it's probably all electronic but good old printouts still have a lot of value.

From the FEMA report:
OVERVIEW
The Dayton, Ohio Fire Department avoided a double disaster by not attempting to extinguish a massive fire in a paint warehouse. The fire started on May 27, 1987, and completely destroyed the Sherwin-Williams Paint Warehouse. The dollar loss was $32 million, but only one employee was seriously injured and one firefighter sprained his leg. The noncombustible, sprinklered warehouse contained over 1.5 million gallons of paints and other products and was located over the aquifer from which wells provided the water supply for about one-third of the area’s 400,000 people. Uncontained water and chemical run-off from firefighting could have contaminated this water supply and caused a greater loss than the fire itself, as occurred in Switzerland after the Sandoz Chemical Warehouse fire in 1986 contaminated the Rhine.

The FEMA case study: https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/...ons/tr-009.pdf

Bottom line: When there are a large amount of combustibles involved, the only thing a suppression system and alarm system are going to do is help prevent loss of life.

Ray
Old 03-18-2021, 08:55 AM   #26

Quote:

it may have been an in house only system, meaning no call to the FD, a lot of older sprinkler systems are this way, add to that the resins involved in lamination and the water could actually help spread the fire, if the resins can combust while wet, and allow the fire to flow like a river... sprinklers can only do so much, when chemicals are involved, a dry chemical suppression would likely work far better... but the cost for a whole warehouse to be fitted with dry chem suppression i would think is FAAARRRRRRR more than a water system...
Bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:01 AM   #27

Quote:
I'm guessing there was no sprinkler system or fire/smoke alarms.

Yes, they are initially expensive but do provide for an early response by FD and to tend to suppress the spread. A lot cheaper than a total loss not to mention longer interruption of production.

My insurance company even understands their value and gives out huge discounts for installation of monitored alarm and sprinklers in the home.

Like I said, just a guess but an educated one.

BTW, it's estimated that a residential sprinkler system costs about $1.35 more per sq foot in new construction, adding about 1% to the total construction cost.
Not sure that a sprinkler system would have done any good if chemicals catch on fire. Kind of like when gasoline catches fire... That being said I could not imagine any facility like that not having sprinkler systems in place.
Rgpigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgpigeon View Post
Not sure that a sprinkler system would have done any good if chemicals catch on fire. Kind of like when gasoline catches fire... That being said I could not imagine any facility like that not having sprinkler systems in place.
From my understanding sprinkler's main function is both rapid response to the start of a fire and provide cooling. If fuel is too cool to ignite, fire won't spread.

I just read through this this morning and it reminded me of all the hoops we had to jump through when building our tire stores.

https://www.nfpa.org/news-and-resear...stible-liquids

Tire storage was regulated by NFC and NFPA rules as well as storage of gasoline cans, and tire repair materials (solvents and cement). Even the tanks that stored oil, new and used.

It would seem that if a space heater was able to start a fire that spread so rapidly the fire wasn't noticed until the building was fully involved a lot of code requirements were probably ignored.

I'm sure the investigation will determine the cause and reason it progressed so quickly but doubtful the news media will ever report it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:48 AM   #29
Citrus County, Fl.

One of the articles I read stated the laminating plant was for the RPods which are built next door. It could also have been production for other models.

Approximately 50% of commercial manufacturing facilities are sprinklered and is usually up to the authority having jurisdiction if they are required in an existing building. They are designed to keep a fire in check during the incipient stage of a fire. A lot depends on the human factor such as items stored within 18" of a sprinkler head which would hinder the effectiveness. Being a closed structure may have allowed the fire to progress before it was reported.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:38 PM   #30

Before and after along with the location...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plant1.PNG
Views:	50
Size:	882.1 KB
ID:	250011   Click image for larger version

Name:	plant2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	250012   Click image for larger version

Name:	plant3.PNG
Views:	55
Size:	757.9 KB
ID:	250013  
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:50 AM   #31

Has anyone heard how long orders will be delayed due to the fire?
Llccpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:00 PM   #32

I just got word today that my order placed in mid February isnít scheduled for the production line until June 2nd now...so a full month later then what we were told the day after the fire
tatosian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:04 PM   #33

Fire at FR plant March 15th

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatosian24 View Post
...Thankful nobody was hurt...

Thank you, and kudos for being the first to mention the most important fact of all. That much said, nothing else matters. Not a thing.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:23 PM   #34

I have an E-Pro 15TB on order since first week in Feb. I'm told by the dealer that everything has gone sideways as the factory has shut down again for Covid-19, there are delays with glue due to the Texas winter storm, fiberglass deliveries delayed. He says he has been requesting schedules for deliveries and not getting answers to be able to tell me how long the delays will be. He never mentioned a FIRE.

Anyone else (who placed an order) hearing stories like this?
jdjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:49 AM   #35

I do know my son works for an upholstered furniture factory and COVID and the Texas storms have affected the upholstered furniture industry. It has slowed foam production to a crawl. He company is not meeting order schedules as foam is slow at coming.

Try ordering a sofa the deliveries are months out unless they happen to have the stock.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgpigeon View Post
There was a fire in a printing plant I worked at. The sprinkler system kept it to the area the fire started. Plant was back in operation the next day. Sadly a employee died from burns suffered in the fire.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #37

Good information source here on this forum; I have been concerned about the fire at the FR plant.....I have on order an I-pod 180. Just this a.m. I emailed my dealer here in Amarillo and inquired about update on delivery.....no change, mid May. My cat and I are getting restless.
Jayhawk62 is offline   Reply With Quote