Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 10:19 AM   #1

Forest River faces up to $35 million in penalties for safety violations

This was announced today 7/9/15... no details on actual issues given:

Elkhart-based Forest River, one of Indiana's largest RV manufacturers, is facing up to $35 million in penalties for violating federal safety laws.
ADVERTISEMENT
An investigation started by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration last September found that Forest River failed to report safety defects and other information required by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Forest River has "acknowledged it failed to report early warning data and failed to launch two safety recalls in a timely fashion," according to a statement released by the NHTSA today.

....The manufacturer must retain an independent monitor to conduct periodic audits of safety practices. If Forest River fails to resolve any issues discovered in audits, the remaining penalties would come due — $3 million for a first violation, $7 million for a second, and $20 million for a third. Forest River must also hire a consultant to help meet requirements of the consent order.
more....Forest River faces up to $35 million in penalties for safety violations - South Bend Tribune: Business
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #2

http://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles/...sent-order.pdf

Page 5 and 6

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #3

Thanks for that...quite a burden for failing to follow the proper procedures.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #4

Forest River fined by NHTSA

This article appeared in local paper this morning. Even though it does not directly mention Berkshire it certainly could involve all of us.

Forest River faces up to $35 million in penalties for safety violations - Business - South Bend Tribune
Old 07-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Thanks for posting. Interesting info. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
Retired guy

Warren Buffet/ Forest River fined $5 million over safety issues

SQUAWK BOX -- Pictured: Warren Buffett, chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway in an interview on May 4, 2015 -- (Photo by: Lacy O'Toole/CNBC/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images)
Photograph by Lacy O'Toole – Getty Images
The company could rack up $30 million in fines in the next three years.

Warren Buffett’s RV maker, Forest River, has been fined at least $5 million due to safety issues.

The Associated Press reported that the Indiana-based company is on probation and could see regulators fine it an additional $30 million during the next three years, if any other safety concerns crop up.

The Transportation Department said that Forest River failed to report required data on time and also did not issue a recall quickly when problems were found in 1,000 of its camper trailers, the publication reported.

“Safety is a critical shared responsibility, and when manufacturers fail to meet their responsibility, the Department will enforce the law,” according to Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx.

Forest River, however, is reportedly working with the government to fix the issues and it is working on guidelines for the RV industry to use at large.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Big Dog 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
Site Team

The site team has merged three separate threads about the same subject matter into this one.....and placed them all in the appropriate "RV Industry news" subsection

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #8

at least on of their recalls involves our new 2104 Sabre. Pertains to the electric brake wiring routing.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #9

It would be nice if they addressed all the failed/potentially dangerous 5'er pin box failures!!! Or maybe the inadequate brakes (weak magnets) they are putting in these things!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
It would be nice if they addressed all the failed/potentially dangerous 5'er pin box failures!!! Or maybe the inadequate brakes (weak magnets) they are putting in these things!
i believe these problems are on Lippert. Too bad really. These types of issues are a lose/lose/lose scenario. Bad for companies, consumers, and the economy overall...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #11

I wish this could have addressed the Berkshires they manufactured in 2011 (of which I have one) where the actual carrying capacity is about one half of what was stated on the yellow door sticker.

I guess this comes more under the heading of false advertising, though.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
The article mentions 726 Rockwood models built in 2014 - Since I have one, purchased this year though, how can I find out if my model is effected, and if my model was ever repaired prior to my taking ownership? I could call the dealer but I first want to know if my model is one of the recall ones. Is there a website that lists specific models?

Nights Glamped - 2015 - 24
Nights Glamped - 2016 - 2018 - Seasonal
Nights Glamped - 2019 - on the road again!!
wpgman19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, safety