Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
Site Team

Forest River Vision

Thought this was interesting. Found it on a dealers website.

In 1996, Forest River founder Peter Liegl had a vision. He foresaw an RV company dedicated to helping people experience the joy of the outdoors by building better recreational products. Today that vision is a reality.

Continually growing, Forest River operates multiple manufacturing facilities throughout the midwest and west coast.Our large production capacity enables us to fill our customers' orders promptly without cutting corners or rushing through production procedures. This ensures that each Forest River product is conscientiously built and undergoes thorough, detailed inspection before it's shipped to the customer.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
Retired

Vision Observation

If anyone reads the 1000's of FRF post regarding minor/major problems with their new FR TT then there seems to be an apparent loss of FR's first love, not rushing through production procedures....and all FR TTs.... "undergoes thorough, detailed inspection before it's shipped to the customer". FR needs to do some serious soul searching if they still believe in their "VISION". And then there are the other 1000's of post regrading the lack of commitment to this "Vision" from many of the FR dealers. Maybe FR needs to have a more "hands-on" approach with their dealers to insure FR's vision is carried to the customer.
Maybe FR just needs to be reminded of the vision...a bit of feedback from their consumers.

With this said I still love our Windjammer.

Happy Trails
Old 08-05-2015, 02:53 PM   #3

Maybe Peter Liegl should get out more often, perhaps to some of his plants AND dealers. Perhaps he should monitor a few forums like this one.
Way too many simple mistakes that should not have slipped by any inspectors. I'm sure they don't put water in their tanks to check pumps and for leaks. No way!!
My PDI was presented to me with two long vertical pen strokes and nothing was ever checked. PDI said the tires were "just checked" for 65psi, when they only had 35psi all around. There is no way my unit lost 30psi in each tire between the FR factory and the dealer. NO WAY.
No water at the sinks or toilet as the pex line was totally crimped. That didn't happen at the dealer either.
Water poured out of the fresh water tank as soon as the unit moved 10 ft. The tank fill hose and vent hose clamps were never tightened, just hanging there.
Furnace distribution vent hoses were just laying beside the box and the "plugs" to cover the unused ports, were just laying beside them. They had never been connected FROM THE FACTORY.
Two of the four outside utility doors would not close and new latches had to be built to close the doors before I could drive off the lot.
Etc, etc, etc. Several other items that "slipped by the inspectors" were repaired out of my pocket as they just kept popping up along the way.
IMHO, Mr. Peter Liegl either isn't paying attention or just doesn't give a damn. I think that "VISION" was caused by Scotch.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #4

Do a Google search on Peter Liegl. You will find a plethora of legal and ethical issues that more than lend themselves to his character. It all starts at the top.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

Wow! Makes me wanna run out and buy another one... maybe two!!! I've been pretty vocal about the poor quality of all RV manufacturers... but we keep buying these things and spending our leisure time and dollars keeping them fixed. What's wrong with this picture?
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #6

Ha ha ha, "...building better recreational products. Today that vision is a reality..." Wait, I have to stop and laugh, again. Building better recreational products? Sorry, have to stop and laugh, again. I'm laughing so I don't cry because my experience is the opposite of FR's vision.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #7

Is Peter still the head of the company. I thought Warren Buffet owned FR. Clue me in please.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #8

Peter was all set to retire at a time when things weren’t going all the well. He essentially had already named a successor who later sued him. About that time, Buffet stepped and bought the company, infusing it with cash, allowing them not only to stick around during the recession, but also acquire other struggling companies. The money was great for Peter so he put off his retirement plans to ride the gravy train.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #9
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
If anyone reads the 1000's of FRF post regarding minor/major problems with their new FR TT then there seems to be an apparent loss of FR's first love, not rushing through production procedures....and all FR TTs.... "undergoes thorough, detailed inspection before it's shipped to the customer". FR needs to do some serious soul searching if they still believe in their "VISION". And then there are the other 1000's of post regrading the lack of commitment to this "Vision" from many of the FR dealers. Maybe FR needs to have a more "hands-on" approach with their dealers to insure FR's vision is carried to the customer.
Maybe FR just needs to be reminded of the vision...a bit of feedback from their consumers.

With this said I still love our Windjammer.

Happy Trails
We have a Cedar Creek 5er and have toured that factory twice. On each occasion, we saw workers physically running fron ponit to point in the assembly line trying to meet the production goals I'd bet. Not once have we had the pleasure of seeing or meeting a quality control or assurance inspector during at time at the factory. Peter leigel's statement about "each unit being consciencously built" sure seems disingenous to me. Since Petersoldout to Warren Buffet nothing seems to have changed. . . Nor will it; so long as there are customers to buy the crappy products produced. It remains, a "Quality vs Quantity problem", for the consumer!
Old 08-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #10

One thing that keeps the prices of these units down is that workers are generally paid by the piece... and not hourly. The more units they can get out in a day, the more money they make.This is, in my opinion, where most of the build-quality suffers. This needs 2 screws... Nah... one will hold it! On to the next one! That's the mentality we're dealing with at any RV factory. That's why they run and sling things, and don't take their time. They're factory workers and by hurrying along they make more money.

As to the "Vision" of FR... I wonder if anyone from FR has bothered t read what many think of their "Vision". All companies have vision statements. It's the leading edge of their marketing smoke screen. The more colored up, the better. The first time buyer will read this and be rapt while waiting for his/her new Class A-D, TT, pop-up, or 5er... only to find that they can't use it for months at a time because the dealer's inept and uncaring "techs" are trying to add those missing screws... in now-inaccessible places... Akin to leadership models in Corporate America, that if actually followed, will get you shown the door... and all the while it's actually still the same old management-by-intimidation model that's being practiced, and has been practiced since there was a Corporate America. But... the false model keeps the government and the lawyers satisfied... and the vision statement keeps the first-timers coming...

Maybe one day the RV industry will settle out... Yeah... RRIIIIIGGHHTT!!
Old 08-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #11

"In 1996, Forest River founder Peter Liegl had a vision. He foresaw an RV company dedicated to helping people experience the joy of the outdoors by building better recreational products. Today that vision is a reality.

Continually growing, Forest River operates multiple manufacturing facilities throughout the midwest and west coast.Our large production capacity enables us to fill our customers' orders promptly without cutting corners or rushing through production procedures. This ensures that each Forest River product is conscientiously built and undergoes thorough, detailed inspection before it's shipped to the customer."[/QUOTE]

What a joke this is. Another owner here with a list of issues on a new unit. Another 4 days and it will be 2 months at the dealer, and still waiting for warranty work. The summer is coming to an end and we only had 2 nights use so far. Not a happy camper.

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Peter was all set to retire at a time when things weren’t going all the well. He essentially had already named a successor who later sued him. About that time, Buffet stepped and bought the company, infusing it with cash, allowing them not only to stick around during the recession, but also acquire other struggling companies. The money was great for Peter so he put off his retirement plans to ride the gravy train.

You sir have a jaded and very much a slanderous comment here. If you just wish to be a troll you should go somewhere else to do it. Comments like this have absolutely no place on this forum and I find it and you very offensive. You seem to inject ever post with negative remarks. Why not try to be positive and helpful? It's so much better to help fix an issue with good advice and share your knowledge than to trash FR and its management. I will say I have met Peter and he is a outstanding individual with a passion for the business.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #13

You've met the man and you could tell all that about him instantly? It's unfortunate that some on these threads have had such terrible service from their units. They've paid their money and spent their time and effort trying to enjoy their time off. If these folks have had serious problems, vacations ruined, and so forth, should they not vent their frustrations? Perhaps there's a reason that some are jaded. If you've not had to suffer through these problems, then you are fortunate, indeed. If the statements quoted are true, then there is no slander involved.

As I see it, if this gentleman has a beef with FR that has taken his money in exchange for what should be a good, working product, but is none of that, he has every right to vent. I nor anyone else has the right to tell him otherwise. As for me, I have never felt I got a good value for the money I paid for my unit. It's solid, now, but I made it that way. I fixed the problems. I replaced the cheap parts that broke at their first use. During the warranty period, I spent about 50% as much time fixing this trailer as I camped in it.

Perhaps his passion for the business is equal to the amount of money he's made from it.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
You sir have a jaded and very much a slanderous comment here. If you just wish to be a troll you should go somewhere else to do it. Comments like this have absolutely no place on this forum and I find it and you very offensive. You seem to inject ever post with negative remarks. Why not try to be positive and helpful? It's so much better to help fix an issue with good advice and share your knowledge than to trash FR and its management. I will say I have met Peter and he is a outstanding individual with a passion for the business.
I've read Igray's post and fail to see where he slandered anyone. Care to elaborate?
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #15

I never said that venting wasn't welcome. I only say that this is the same people on every thread that have nothing positive to say. It's all complaining all the time. The complainers start to take on other people's issues like it was their own. I have had more than my fair Share of issues and I did vent. I also was looking for answers and the great folks on this forum helped me to work through the issues. That is a positive way to fix things.
Complaining is one thing but personal attacks are another and should not be tolerated. I for one will not ignore it anymore.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #16

Quote:
I never said that venting wasn't welcome. I only say that this is the same people on every thread that have nothing positive to say. It's all complaining all the time. The complainers start to take on other people's issues like it was their own. I have had more than my fair Share of issues and I did vent. I also was looking for answers and the great folks on this forum helped me to work through the issues. That is a positive way to fix things.
Complaining is one thing but personal attacks are another and should not be tolerated. I for one will not ignore it anymore.
Who is being attacked?
stairs, and counting...
Old 09-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Do a Google search on Peter Liegl. You will find a plethora of legal and ethical issues that more than lend themselves to his character. It all starts at the top.

This is a personal attack and most likely slander. Slander or not it has no place on the forum.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #18

"The money was great for Peter so he put off his retirement plans to ride the gravy train." Is this the "slanderous" comment you accuse Igray of making? That he put off retirement to make a lot of money? If so, you need to look up the meaning of the word slander.
stairs, and counting...
Old 09-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #19

Quote:
This is a personal attack and most likely slander. Slander or not it has no place on the forum.
In your opinion... that is... However, had I found this information beforehand, I might have made a different, and better, purchasing decision. With that, I'll say it definitely HAS a place on this forum. As with most forums, I believe the personal attack rules apply to prevent personal attacks aimed at actual forum members. Statements about non-members are usually allowed, so long as they are true.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #20

Wow, I seem to have created an issue. My information all came from public documents and industry periodicals. Google him and you will see. No slander or personal attacks, just fact.

I would suggest the real focus return to the original topic of the thread, “Forest River Vision”. The information available as well as the numerous threads, suggests the vision is maximize profit at all costs.

Tags
forest river