Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #1

FR3 and Georgetown slideout recall

A new recall was just announced for 2019 and 2020 FR3 and Georgetowns due to a slideout issue.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...es-071219.html

Everyone please be careful.
RTW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I was just reading about this in a Dynamax thread.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

Hmmm.... and DW and I have been looking at the FR3. This might change things.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #4
DW's 401(k) Plan

Actually, just looked at a Georgetown last weekend! [emoji102]

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 08-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Don’t let it discourage you. LCI has a fix for the problem, and it’s simply a change of a control board. It seems humidity and/or moisture has corrupted the circuitry and caused the mishaps. They have supposedly corrected the problem on current builds. I’m not entirely sure of the build date but I’m thinking it was as of May of this year.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Don’t let it discourage you. LCI has a fix for the problem, and it’s simply a change of a control board. It seems humidity and/or moisture has corrupted the circuitry and caused the mishaps. They have supposedly corrected the problem on current builds. I’m not entirely sure of the build date but I’m thinking it was as of May of this year.
Yeah, I've been reading about the issue on the Dynamax threads, also. You just have to wonder what is happening where humidity and/or moisture is getting at these controllers and not any other controllers, like say in my Sunseeker. Is it the position/location of the boards?
Believe me, if DW wants something even IF it has had problems, as long as she thinks I can fix it or make it work, it won't keep her from not wanting to purchase one.
Larry

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 08-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #7

This is SPECULATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Yeah, I've been reading about the issue on the Dynamax threads, also. You just have to wonder what is happening where humidity and/or moisture is getting at these controllers and not any other controllers, like say in my Sunseeker. Is it the position/location of the boards?
Believe me, if DW wants something even IF it has had problems, as long as she thinks I can fix it or make it work, it won't keep her from not wanting to purchase one.
Larry
The following is speculation. I have never been near a Dynamax and know only that a digital circuit is affected by moisture, either in proximity or at a remote switch. I'm speaking as a professional electronics engineer with a few college degrees and a half-century of experience.

A dozen years ago everything was controlled by relays and solenoids or by direct application of voltage. The impedance of those motors, relays, solenoids, and latches was so low that it was acceptable practice to apply voltage to actuate a system, and open (float) the circuit when it wasn't actuated.

Now CMOS microcontrollers are widely used. It's easy to operate them from a touchscreen, remote, wireless device, or switch. But their inputs are extremely high impedance. The input actually terminates on a very thin layer of glass inside the chip. A transistor "channel" on the other side of the glass either allows current to flow or inhibits it, based on the voltage on the input (gate).

It's easy to induce a voltage on this high impedance. On a dry day you could wave your hands or scuff your leather-sole shoes across a carpet. And on a damp day the input could be influenced by voltage at a nearby point. This could happen in the vicinity of the CMOS chip or remotely at a switch.

Best practice is to never let an input float. An option would be to use a switch which applies voltage to the input lead when on, and grounds it when off. A better option is simply to use a moderately high resistance "pulldown" resistor to ground on the input. That's preferred over the first option because there's never a gap in time where the lead floats when the switching occurs.

I'm wondering if a pulldown (sometimes pullup) resistor was omitted. This is purely speculation.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #8
DaLexusGuy

What the last poster means is...

...electricity and water don't mix.

But seriously, it's probably just plain-ole moisture. Most experienced RV owners know that moisture can and does routinely enter the cabin in or around the area of the slides. And, of course, the manufacturers tend to place the slide controller in that same area.

Since LCI has never seen the RV they are making parts for, they probably didn't think about how moisture-proof the controller housing and switch needed to be.

As an example, LCI designed the electric tongue jack on my last trailer and never considered that the unsealed jack and light switches could possibly ever be sitting outside, exposed to rain. Hence, the work light would come on by itself whenever it rained, draining the 12v battery.

Stay safe and happy camping!
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3, georgetown, recall, slide