Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #1

Thumbs up FR's Prime Time LaCrosse Update

Just an update on the LaCrosse trailers.

I have mentioned some about the eternabond construction of these trailers, the 25 year rubber roof warranty, the Oetiker water line fitting upgrade with a 25 year warranty, so I thought I might mention some of the features.

My wife and I went to the dealer today to look at the Lacrosse’s they had on the lot. We looked at the 272 RBS, 296 BHS, 305 RES & 318 BHS. Unfortunately it will be 2 to 3 weeks before they have a 303 RKS, the one we are interested in. I looked at one that they had a couple of weeks ago, but it was sold and now gone. The 301 RLS does not begin production until September.

All trailers seemed to be built very well. The super slides are supposedly the largest in their class, 40 cubic feet and over 13’ of floor space. All have an air mattress in the couch. All have holding tank capacities of 48 gal fresh, 30 gal waste and 60 gal gray. No stabilizers were down but very little or no movement, even when climbing the entrance steps. I couldn’t feel any soft spots on any of the floors. Fit and finish looked really good in all the trailers. I saw no evidence of left over sawdust or anything like that. All cabinets and drawers worked well on extended ball bearing metal glides. All had the keyless entry, slam shut baggage doors (ones like MH‘s have), one touch electric awning and stabilizers, AC vents in the bathroom, lcd tv's and Jensen cd/dvd/am/fm radios with surround sound (yea, no concertones), bedroom & outside tv mount and hook ups, universal docking center, EZ tow wide track suspension and more. Really, there’s more.

The 272 had a front bedroom, mid living area with a large 87" U shape dinette and couch slide, mid kitchen and rear bathroom with large shower. The bedroom was small with very little room at the foot of the bed. It also has an outdoor kitchen, frig, sink and 2 burner stove with plenty of storage. Dry weight 6,550 - hitch weight 540, 31‘5“.

The bunkhouse models, 296 & 318, had plenty of room for the kids in the rear of the trailers.

The 296 had a door to the outside for loading bikes. The fold up booth bench seats and table (which also makes into a bed) and a top bunk folded up out of the way. It also had two fold up bunks on the opposite wall, total of four bunks, storage and tv shelf. Mid bathroom (small tub & shower) & kitchen, mid living area with a large 87" U shape dinette and couch slide, front bedroom. The bedroom was small with very little room at the foot of the bed. Dry weight 6536 - hitch weight 652, 33‘5“.

The 318 had a “Sleep & Play” which had three bunks and storage for toys with a slideout. Very nice room for the kids in this one. Mid bathroom (small tub & shower) & kitchen, mid living area with a large 87" U shape dinette and couch slide, front bedroom. The bedroom was small with very little room at the foot of the bed. This model also has the outdoor kitchen, frig, sink and 2 burner stove with plenty of storage. Dry weight 7726 - hitch weight 737, 35‘6“.

The 305 is a rear entertainment model that has the tv on a lift. Two slides opposite of each other, one with two barrel rockers and one with 4 chairs and table (plenty of room to pull the chairs out from the table) and couch. Very roomy in the living area. Mid kitchen and bathroom with large shower, front bedroom with adequate room at the foot of the bed. Dry weight approx 7550 - hitch weight ? (sorry, don‘t remember), 34‘8“.

The 303 that we are interested in has a rear kitchen with lots of counter space, mid living area with 2 barrel rockers and a large 87" U shape dinette and couch slide. Next is the bathroom with large shower and then the bedroom in the front with adequate room at the foot of the bed. The bathroom and bedroom share a small wardrobe/linen storage slideout which adds to the size of each. Dry weight 7,098, hitch weight 953, 34‘10“.

They will hold the deal (a little over 28% off MSRP & about 2.4k over what I paid for my ‘09 8315ss) until the 303 arrives. They will put our name on it and hold it for a few days until we have a chance to look at it. We can decide then whether we want the deal or not, no hard feelings if we decline. Really laid back people. They let us look through the trailers by ourselves and allowed us to take all the time we wanted. I think something bad will have to happen for us not to take the deal.

Hopefully this info will help if anyone is interested in these new trailers.

Almost forgot. The dinning table is free standing and can be put in a lower position, then placed in front of the couch as a coffee table!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #2

Thanks for the update.

I'd love to tour one. There's a dealer, not far from here(in Lafayette,LA.), that has a 303RKS in stock. "Road trip" !!

There's a dealer a bit closer, but I've had dealings with them in the past that left a bad taste in my mouth; and no amount of adult beveage will get rid of.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:50 AM   #3

Update to post above:

Actually, Souther RV in Lafayette, LA. has two of the 303RKS model in stock.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #4

Thanks for the info on your local dealer, but you go on ahead without me. Knowing me, the dealer I'm working with will have the trailer in long before I made it back from Louisiana. The shortest route coming back would take me through Kentucky in order to get back from Louisiana to Oklahoma, right?

If you noticed the dry weight listed on the 303 in your link is 7,759. I posted 7,098. The one I looked at a couple of weeks ago had the same dry weight as the one you linked to. The brochure listed the 7,098 lbs dry weight so I asked the salesman about the difference. He called the factory and was given this info, the one on the lot was a 2010 model. They were building the first ones using wood framing in the floors and roofs. They are using aluminum framing throughout the trailers that are being built now, no wood framing at all, resulting in approx 700 lbs lighter weight.

I also noticed that the one in you link has the optional table and chairs. Notice the room, because of the larger slide, which enables you to pull the chairs out from the table allowing those of us with "large mid section consumable investments" more room to maneuver!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #5

I wasn't suggesting you travel down this way. I was stating I may take a Road Trip to look at the build quality you were posting about earlier.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #6

Oh, okay. The only real reason I was even entertaining the thought of going down there was to get a good look in that cooler you're so proud of!

Tags
prime time