Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 07:26 AM   #1

Frustrated with Forest River

Hoping to get some advice here. I bought a 2019 FR Forester last September, through Lazy Days at the villages. The rv had some AC issues, water leaks, especially after raining, and some minor flaws. The rv was taken in for repairs in January, and “everything was fixed and or corrected”. There was mold in the ac ceiling area, that was painted over with “kilz”. A few months later, there was leaking again from the ac ceiling vent, again after a rain storm. When I removed the cover, there was much more mold than previously noted. The rv was taken back to lazy days on July 26, where it has been since then. I have had several email communications with the service department and due to the amount of mold involved in the RV, I contacted the warranty division of FR, but they never answered my email. I was then referred to someone else at FR, who has authorized this repair and it was decided that it needs to be taken to the manufacturer. My concern is that the rv may be extensively damaged with mold, extending through the ceiling, styrofoam and wood supports seen in the ac vent area. They have stated that the water intrusion was found and supposedly repaired. What needs to get fixed now, is the mold infiltration. What else should I be concerned with? Should I be doing anything else? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
Nobo200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobo200 View Post
Hoping to get some advice here. I bought a 2019 FR Forester last September, through Lazy Days at the villages. The rv had some AC issues, water leaks, especially after raining, and some minor flaws. The rv was taken in for repairs in January, and “everything was fixed and or corrected”. There was mold in the ac ceiling area, that was painted over with “kilz”. A few months later, there was leaking again from the ac ceiling vent, again after a rain storm. When I removed the cover, there was much more mold than previously noted. The rv was taken back to lazy days on July 26, where it has been since then. I have had several email communications with the service department and due to the amount of mold involved in the RV, I contacted the warranty division of FR, but they never answered my email. I was then referred to someone else at FR, who has authorized this repair and it was decided that it needs to be taken to the manufacturer. My concern is that the rv may be extensively damaged with mold, extending through the ceiling, styrofoam and wood supports seen in the ac vent area. They have stated that the water intrusion was found and supposedly repaired. What needs to get fixed now, is the mold infiltration. What else should I be concerned with? Should I be doing anything else? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
The best thing is that they are willing to fix it at the factory. Everyone that has posted about their experiences with this type of situation, has been very pleased with the outcome. Most actually get free upgrades also.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #3

X2.. Not yet read about anyone being disappointed by the factory doing repairs. Most rave about the service. You will get better work from factory than at dealer. Good luck.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #4

X3 on most of the post I've read over the years.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:23 PM   #5

I believe you could request that a mold survey be done... that is using pressurized air directed into a sampling device that there could be a determination made as to how much if any mold is in the "system".

I'm sure with a google search such testing experts can be found to suit your needs. Mold is taken care of in homes and after testing and remediation those homes are livable again.

I would bet the factory repair will take care of all the issues you have with mold.

good luck

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #6

Dealers VS Factory

I Had DSI issues with our 2019 Chaparral. Took it to a dealer for warranty work and they let it sit for over a month in May. Finally I contacted FR in Indiana and they were very good, even sent ME the circuit board to replace myself. I agree, best to deal with FR directly.
ross0547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #7

look up john jones at forest river . he go my repairs in question on tract
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
Site Team

As others have mentioned. If it goes back to the factory the roof will likely be replaced vs just repaired. I have never seen anyone post that they were unhappy about a factory repair.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #9

Follow up

Thank you for all of your responses. As an update, the unit is now in Indiana and is scheduled to have the roof replaced. I was told it would be placed in a rain bay and thoroughly checked for water intrusion. Will keep you posted
Old 09-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #10

Good luck with the repairs. After 18 months of trying to get my dealer to properly repair a slide issue I had on my 2018 3011 DS I finally got in touch with the warranty manager at FR and agreed to send mine back to the factory to have corrected. Not only did they arrange for the MH to be picked up and brought back to my house but also had me list any other concerns I had on the MH. Only took a month to drive it out, repair, and bring back. My MH had spent 26 weeks on the dealer lot trying to be repaired the previous year so this timeframe was very quick in my opinion, plus it was there in Feb 2020 so not during camping season where I live. They repaired all of the 5 items I listed before sending it and another 12 Items they found on their inspection. So I was extremely satisfied with the factory work. I would never hesitate to return a unit to the factory again. Hope you get equal treatment from FR.
1000 sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:09 PM   #11

Thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully mine goes as well as yours.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #12

Your issue is the mirror issue I have had with my 18 Forester 3250 slide leaking, three different dealers trying to fix with no luck, sent back to the manufacturer who installed toppers, not sure they did anything else to repair. First indications the issue was repaired, covered and sat for the summer. (Covid) Opened to winterized and found after a night of steady slow rain the leak is still present. Contacted FR last week, no reply yet. I am reading through the forums to see if others had the issue and where to go from here. Glad to hear it worked out for you.
Kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #13

Kevin21, I will tell you my RV is still in Indiana, and they have not even started any repairs as of yet. I send emails every 1-2 weeks for an update, and the usual response is that there are still some units in front of mine. Between the dealer and FR manufacturer, My RV has been in their possession since July 26. I will keep everyone posted on this issue, as I know it is very frustrating.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:37 PM   #14

Still waiting

So I wanted to give an update and share my frustrations. My RV is still in Indiana, going on maybe 3 months. I had taken my RV initially to the dealership on July 26, and it was decided to send it to Indiana for repairs. So, in total, my unit has been out of my possession since July 26, 2020. I have been in contact with the person in charge, via email and the usual answer is that there are units in front of mine. Five, four, three, etc.

In December he notified me that the windshield had a crack, and was I “aware of that”? I answered him that obviously the unit was given to them in July, etc. and that I was not aware of that. He said they would fix it, because, “it was the right thing to do”. He did mention at this time, that they were getting the parts list, etc for my unit.

With the holidays, I haven’t e mailed him recently and decided to call a few lawyers, due to pressure from friends and family.

First rv lawyer office, asked me to send documents, purchase order, etc. 28 pages later, and a few emails, they told me they could not help me because the warranty had expired in September. I told them the unit has been there since July, etc, and she basically repeated herself, and firmly told me again they could not help me, because the warranty had expired.

So I contacted another rv law firm, and an intake person, asked me a few questions, took some information down, and called me back, saying they would take my case and help me. He sent me a 7 page contract, that opened immediately upon clicking, to the “sign here” spot.

So today, I called the attorney generals office, and a very nice lawyer listened to this story, and basically told me that the rv lemon laws, only pertain the “engine” part of an rv, not the living area. Basically there was not much she can help me with.

So here I am. No RV in 6 months, making monthly bank and insurance payments. Am I missing something? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Should I just wait a little longer? Should I escalate this? What should I ask for (if possible) in return? For example, should I have a warranty extension on this repair? The unit has been in Indiana, during freezing temperatures. How do I know if it was winterized? How do I check for possible damage to pipes or tubings? I imagine my batteries are probably dead. Should they be replaced ? What else do you suggest?

Thanks for reading this post. I hope to get some advice from the forum.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:43 PM   #15

Still Waiting

Start with the BBB.
Ohinaz1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #16
Defender of America

I Feel Your Pain!

Bought a brand new Coachman Freedom Express 192RBS in July. The front window leaks and the sill holds water. We took it back on Halloween and they kept it for 3 weeks and supposedly fixed it. Got it back on November 21st. It rained that night and guess what - the widow leaks and the sill holds water. Took it back the Saturday after Thanksgiving and they've had it ever since. Oh and by the way, 6 weeks in to the 2nd opportunity to repair a simple windshield leak the technician broke the glass. I had to call the dealer back 6 times before they would take my call for them to tell me that tidbit.
Have written emails to the Coachman rep to which I get no reply. It does appear that the service department at the dealer does get sporadic replies when it is convenient for the rep. So here we are in week #9 of the 2nd opportunity to fix the same issue with no relief in site.
Reached out to the States Attorney General to see if they can look into this issue. We'll see what happens.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:27 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobo200 View Post
So I wanted to give an update and share my frustrations. My RV is still in Indiana, going on maybe 3 months. I had taken my RV initially to the dealership on July 26, and it was decided to send it to Indiana for repairs. So, in total, my unit has been out of my possession since July 26, 2020. I have been in contact with the person in charge, via email and the usual answer is that there are units in front of mine. Five, four, three, etc.

In December he notified me that the windshield had a crack, and was I “aware of that”? I answered him that obviously the unit was given to them in July, etc. and that I was not aware of that. He said they would fix it, because, “it was the right thing to do”. He did mention at this time, that they were getting the parts list, etc for my unit.

With the holidays, I haven’t e mailed him recently and decided to call a few lawyers, due to pressure from friends and family.

First rv lawyer office, asked me to send documents, purchase order, etc. 28 pages later, and a few emails, they told me they could not help me because the warranty had expired in September. I told them the unit has been there since July, etc, and she basically repeated herself, and firmly told me again they could not help me, because the warranty had expired.

So I contacted another rv law firm, and an intake person, asked me a few questions, took some information down, and called me back, saying they would take my case and help me. He sent me a 7 page contract, that opened immediately upon clicking, to the “sign here” spot.

So today, I called the attorney generals office, and a very nice lawyer listened to this story, and basically told me that the rv lemon laws, only pertain the “engine” part of an rv, not the living area. Basically there was not much she can help me with.

So here I am. No RV in 6 months, making monthly bank and insurance payments. Am I missing something? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Should I just wait a little longer? Should I escalate this? What should I ask for (if possible) in return? For example, should I have a warranty extension on this repair? The unit has been in Indiana, during freezing temperatures. How do I know if it was winterized? How do I check for possible damage to pipes or tubings? I imagine my batteries are probably dead. Should they be replaced ? What else do you suggest?

Thanks for reading this post. I hope to get some advice from the forum.
Just an FYI... You may want to read this post before you go down the legal route.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...tml#post665355
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:00 PM   #18

New to this site. I've owned many RV's, all were Pilgrims, i believe open roads build them. but i can honestly say, i haven't found too many good things written about FR. I hope im not the next one writing a horror story.
billcrews81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:26 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcrews81 View Post
New to this site. I've owned many RV's, all were Pilgrims, i believe open roads build them. but i can honestly say, i haven't found too many good things written about FR. I hope im not the next one writing a horror story.
Pilgrim International RV went out of business 12 years ago, in 2009. Evergreen RV acquired some of their assets but they also went out of business.
I see that you recently bought a 3 year old used Motorhome. How many previous owners were there? Did they do proper maintenance on it? Were there any maintenance records?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:41 PM   #20
Site Team

Unfortunately, the RV industry in general is a victim of the current economic situation. If you do your homework, have patience and set realistic expectations you should be OK.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river