Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2019, 09:33 PM   #1

Honda has issued stop -sell order for eu2200i generators

The notice recalls its EU2200i and EB2200i generators for risk of fire or explosion. Loosening fuel valve screws are blamed for the problem. If they come undone, it may permit gasoline or vapors to leak.

By Kevin Carlin

ALPHARETTA, GA — Honda Power Equipment Manufacturing has issued a stop-sell order and recall pertaining to some of its 2200i family of portable generators.

The maker of low- and medium-powered generators frequently recommended in the RV Industry, Honda Power issued a safety and emission recall with a stop sale/rental notice Feb. 12.

The notice recalls its EU2200i and EB2200i generators for risk of fire or explosion. Loose fuel valve screws are blamed for the problem. If they come undone, it may permit gasoline or vapors to leak.

There are no known reports of injuries, death or property damage from fires or explosions in the affected generators.

The 2200i series was released amid wide publicity about “power from the generator you can trust” and “raising the bar when it comes to dependable, durable and easy-to-use generators.”

Honda offers a full three-year warranty on its generators. For the full specs on the 2200i family of generators, click here.

The total number of 2200i generators impacted by the problem is unknown. In a 2017 recall of Honda 2800i generators, 34,000 units were recalled for a carburetor fuel leak.

RV Daily Report obtained a copy of the Feb. 12 stop sale/rental notice.

Honda would not even acknowledge the existence of a stop-sell or recall notice for the EU2200i generators. Repeated calls to the company via phone, email and Facebook were not returned, nor is there mention of the problem on its website.

One vendor confirmed, “I’ve got one sitting right here on the floor next to me. But I can’t sell it due to the Honda stop-sale notice. Wouldn’t want it to blow up on somebody.”

The products continue to appear for sale in the webstores of online vendors. Honda still offers the generators for sale on Amazon. It is unclear whether the existing stop sale notice would prevent the conclusion of an online purchase.

Neither Georgia’s Consumer Protection Department nor the federal Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) have any records relating to this recall.

Investigation with CPSC reveals earlier recalls of other generators sold by Honda Power.

A manufacturer’s duty to report recalls is specified in the CPSC’s website, “A company must report to the CPSC within 24 hours of obtaining reportable information. The Commission encourages companies to report potential substantial product hazards even while their own investigations are continuing. However, if a company is truly uncertain whether information is reportable, the firm may spend a reasonable time investigating the matter.”

The recall affects:

American Honda warehouse inventory
Dealer inventory
Registered units retailed to customers
An East Coast dealer for Honda Power acknowledged that a few consumer-owned units had already been returned to its store.

The stop-sell notice indicated the company plans to issue a service bulletin sometime in early March with detailed repair instructions and replacement parts designed to remedy the potential problem.

A specific list of Honda’s affected generator models and serial numbers is contained in the notice published to dealers.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #2

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Here is the link to the EU2200i, EU2200i Companion and EB2200i generator recall. It has the serial number ranges recalled. Of course my new one is affected.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2019/Am...d-Burn-Hazards

2019 Hemisphere GLX 314BUD with Goodyear Endurance tires
2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins SRW
Husky Centerline WDH/Anti-sway
TST 507 TPMS
Dual Honda EU2200i w/extended run tank
Mad_River is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator