Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 12:18 PM   #1

Huge propane regulator recall

Multiple RV manufactures have issued recalls for Winntec model 6020 propane regulators. So far it looks like date codes N17 xx, N18 xx, N19 xx, N20 xx and N21 xx are affected. These regulators have a white plastic cover on the bottom half that can be easily removed, it just snaps on, no screws. I suggest you check your regulators and if it has a date code that starts with N17-N21 that you contact your manufacturer and see if it is recalled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Regulator1.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	262864

Click image for larger version

Name:	Regulator 2.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	262865
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:08 AM   #2

Thank you for sharing.

Tow vehicle: 2020 Ford F-250 4WD Super Duty 7.3 XLT FX4 Crew

TT: 2021 Grey Wolf 26 DBH
Germanrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:19 AM   #3

Will ForestRiver replace with a new regulator? Do we contact ForestRiver or go to our local RV dealer--please advise.
S.Edington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Edington View Post
Will ForestRiver replace with a new regulator? Do we contact ForestRiver or go to our local RV dealer--please advise.
I would start by calling ForestRiver Customer service: 1 (866) 837-6044. They should be able to direct you to a local dealer that does warranty service for them. My trailer is a Venture RV Sonic, and my warranty dealer of choice is 350 miles away. They had me send them photos of the regulator with the date code, and photos of the labels on the pigtails. Venture RV then authorized them to do the work and they are going to replace my propane regulator the same time they are doing the warranty repair on my Schwintek slide system first week of October.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I would start by calling ForestRiver Customer service: 1 (866) 837-6044. They should be able to direct you to a local dealer that does warranty service for them. My trailer is a Venture RV Sonic, and my warranty dealer of choice is 350 miles away. They had me send them photos of the regulator with the date code, and photos of the labels on the pigtails. Venture RV then authorized them to do the work and they are going to replace my propane regulator the same time they are doing the warranty repair on my Schwintek slide system first week of October.
Isn't Venture RV Sonic a Thor brand?

From what I've been reading the recall seems to be for regulators installed on their sub brand products like Jayco, Heartland, Airstream, etc.

My Forest River product had a much different regulator that I replaced on my TT a few years ago because I didn't like the auto changeover design.

I thought you had a Forest River built trailer and that's what brought you to this forum.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

From what I've been reading the recall seems to be for regulators installed on their sub brand products like Jayco, Heartland, Airstream, etc.

My Forest River product had a much different regulator that I replaced on my TT a few years ago because I didn't like the auto changeover design.

I thought you had a Forest River built trailer and that's what brought you to this forum.
Actually, it does look like Forest River may not use the Winntec Propane Regulators. My mistake. Multiple other manufacturers were involved.

I had a GeoPro G17RK from 2019 to 2021. Earlier this year I sold it and now have a Venture RV 231VRL. So, if that makes me ineligible to contribute to this forum, then that is sad.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:08 PM   #7

Quote:

May I ask what didn't you like about the changeover feature on the regulator?
I've a curious thing in that the streetside lp tank gets about half empty and then the Norcold fridge won't light.
Manually switching to the full curbside tank and it fires right up.
Other lp appliances function either way.
This is a bit off-topic and I'll develop the fridge thing in another post.
But, still interested in your reasoning behind the regulator change?
Thanks
JRHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHERE View Post
May I ask what didn't you like about the changeover feature on the regulator?
I've a curious thing in that the streetside lp tank gets about half empty and then the Norcold fridge won't light.
Manually switching to the full curbside tank and it fires right up.
Other lp appliances function either way.
This is a bit off-topic and I'll develop the fridge thing in another post.
But, still interested in your reasoning behind the regulator change?
Thanks

OE Regulator had a difficult to read and change tank function unless I pulled the tank cover. Also refused to change over from time to time.

Replaced with a Marshal regulator that has enough flow capacity to run furnace, all stovetop burners, oven, outside kitchen double burner "stove", refrigerator, and water heater ------at the same time with no pressure drop.

If furnace runs a lot at night and one tank goes flat I don't have to get out of bed and go out to switch tanks.

Replacing the regulator myself without having to take to Dealer for warranty replacement (with the same brand of lousy regulator) was cheaper than the fuel I'd burn and the antacid necessary to treat the heartburn.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:57 AM   #9

Interesting. I have a Cavagna pretty sure. And what you describe is sort've what I'm experiencing . Tries to change tanks at inappropriate times. Once manually selected to the stbd tank, all good. Still, the half empty port tank is a bother. The regulator sees it as empty...I think? Weighing port at 28 lbs (20 lb tank). Stbd 37 lbs. About 17 lbs empty.
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:48 PM   #10

Just had one of these fail on me this weekend, pretty scary. The refrigerator sounded like a weed burner I shut the fridge off and then proceeding to walk outside to hear the regulator hissing and dumping LP out of the vent. Luckily I caught it somewhat quickly but not a real fun experience. I would take this recall seriously.
Ben Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:33 PM   #11

Update on mine, trailer was at the dealer this week Monday - Friday for unrelated warranty repairs. They were going to replace the propane regulator too. Thursday afternoon, all the warranty work except regulator was done. Story I got was the regulator was scheduled to arrive Friday. Friday rolls around, and about 10 am I call them. They called the manufacturer (Venture RV) and no regulators were in stock with the manufacturer and they had no idea when they would be getting them. I'm not sure if I am going to just hope mine does not fail, or if I am going to get a replacement from Amazon and replace it myself. I suppose I should decide very soon before Amazon sources run out of regulators in stock.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Update on mine, trailer was at the dealer this week Monday - Friday for unrelated warranty repairs. They were going to replace the propane regulator too. Thursday afternoon, all the warranty work except regulator was done. Story I got was the regulator was scheduled to arrive Friday. Friday rolls around, and about 10 am I call them. They called the manufacturer (Venture RV) and no regulators were in stock with the manufacturer and they had no idea when they would be getting them. I'm not sure if I am going to just hope mine does not fail, or if I am going to get a replacement from Amazon and replace it myself. I suppose I should decide very soon before Amazon sources run out of regulators in stock.
If you're planning on buying same brand/model from Amazon there's a good chance you'll end up with the same as the recall.

Amazon has these in stock (now anyway) and in my opinion the Marshall regulators are hard to beat. All my previous trailers had them and my new one got one about a year after I brought it home.

https://smile.amazon.com/Marshall-Ex...16VAKZU2&psc=1

This is one of those items I prefer to replace with a better unit than the brand that was recalled and the out of pocket expense is in the end less than going back and forth to the Dealer for a "free warranty replacement" and no real assurance the new is any better than the failed.

Old 10-11-2021, 10:34 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
If you're planning on buying same brand/model from Amazon there's a good chance you'll end up with the same as the recall.

Amazon has these in stock (now anyway) and in my opinion the Marshall regulators are hard to beat. All my previous trailers had them and my new one got one about a year after I brought it home.

https://smile.amazon.com/Marshall-Ex...16VAKZU2&psc=1

This is one of those items I prefer to replace with a better unit than the brand that was recalled and the out of pocket expense is in the end less than going back and forth to the Dealer for a "free warranty replacement" and no real assurance the new is any better than the failed.
I agree with Mike on all accounts.

I'll add that the Fairview GR-9984 High BTU regulator is a superior unit to look at as well.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:48 AM   #14

Thanks guys, that's probably the route I'll go. I thought if anything I'll have a spare from the recall. However, I'm not keen on the dealer touching my trailer. This weed burner regulator from the farm store did get me through the weekend so maybe that can just ride in the tool bag if I have any more issues in the future. I was also looking at an enerco unit but the marshall seems to be a favorite.
Ben Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:30 PM   #15

I was looking for a Marshall MEGR-253H and none anywhere for less than $100 bucks. AMZ was out.
Fortunately, my Cavagna works. Not sure it's changing over correctly, but no leaks.
Couldn't even find a common NGK spark plug for a trimmer. Did eventually locate a couple on AMZ. No interchange locally.
Interesting times eh?

Tags
propane, recall