Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2022, 10:38 AM   #1

Hyundai Palisade Factory Tow Wiring Recall

Hyundai has issued a recall for the 2020-2022 Palisade factory-installed tow wiring module. The factory installed tow wiring was 4 pin only, and only a small percentage of Palisades had the factory installed wiring. Most people on this forum would have modified the wiring for a 7 pin, which may/may not have resulted in replacing the module.

Problem is dirt and water entering the improperly sealed module, causing an electrical short and possible fire. Hyundai wants you to park outside, away from any structures, until your vehicle is fixed. Hyundai is performing an interim repair, which is disconnecting your tow wiring, until a final fix can be made (date still unknown).

On my 2022 Palisade, the wiring was altered for 7 pin and my Tekonsha brake controller installed by a dealer-recommended trailer shop, so I'm not sure whether the module in question is still there. I will post back when I find out. In the meantime, I am NOT disabling my tow wiring or stopping camping. The wiring and brake controller are working fine.

Across the board, installation of unsealed computer modules in locations vulnerable to road spray and rain by all vehicle manufacturers is causing problems. On SIL's 2013 Honda Civic, a shorted module took out the power steering while daughter was driving in Austin, TX traffic. Luckily, she was strong enough to manhandle the steering enough to get to the shoulder. I researched the incident and found out Honda quietly replaced shorted modules on some 2013 Civics, but never issued a recall, despite a few deaths from drivers unable to handle loss of power steering.

I have had similar recalls for other improperly sealed computer modules on recent Kia and Toyota vehicles.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Hyundai Palisade
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory, recall, tow, wiring