Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #1

Thumbs up LaCrosse -vs- Tracer

While looking at Prime Time's LaCrosse 303 RKS, I have also looked at their other product lines. The Tracer is their ultra lite tt and the Crusader is their mid-level 5er.
Since the Tracer is cheaper and lighter, but has the same basic floorplans as the LaCrosse I contacted Prime Time and asked, 'What is the difference, construction methods, materials?" Here is their response....

Hi Gary,
Thanks for your interest in Prime Time Mfg and our Lacrosse and Tracer
brands. Construction of the two products is exactly the same....The
biggest difference is in terms of floorplans..Some Tracer floorplans are
shorter than the Lacrosse models (Ex: 3150 Tracer and 318 Lacrosse).
Different slide mechanisms are used on the Tracer to keep the weight
down. Fewer features, cabinets and a little smaller windows are used to
keep the weight down...Every pound adds up....

Hope that helps!

Chris

They have a great contact link. I have gotten an answer in less than 15 minutes, but I always hear from them by the next day.

Here are some links for those who are interested.

Eternabond Construction;
Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels

LaCrosse Floorplans;

Tracer Floorplans:

Crusader Floorplans;

Touring Edition - Free (up to) $3,800 Upgrades - Good Through October 31st;
http://primetimerv.com/download/Prim...son-To-Buy.pdf
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:12 AM   #2

we were also pleasantly surprised to see our Tracer was built just as good as the regular and more expensive models, with the only differences being in things like you said, few cabinets and other options to save weight. We know someone who has a similar floor plan to ours in the LaCrosse and he said he prefers many things we have on the Tracer, and would have bought the Tracer instead if one was available. Our dinette table is mounted to the two upright posts, his LaCrosse has folding table legs, he hates the fact how it moves around when the kids push on it. The door on our outdoor kitchen slopes downwards, away from the trailer, his slopes towards the trailer and causes problems if it is open and raining. We also have a swivel mount on the rear bumper for the outdoor grille, this is not available on the LaCrosse. I believe the LaCrosse does have a better warranty on the roof and plumbing pipes, but I was told by PrimeTime they use the same on both, you just pay more for the LaCrosse. There are other differences, but overall we are very very happy with our Tracer and the build quality.

Best Wishes,
Chuck
flumpydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:27 AM   #3

In comparing the Lacrosse to the Tracer.
The Lacrosse is always little bit longer
The lacrosse will have a slightly larger awning
The lacrosse has more cabinet space.
The lacrosse has larger holding tanks
That being said I believe the Tracer would also be a good TT as it would still be very usable and the weight would be comparable to my current 821QBSS with a bonus the hitch weight is far less than my current 1200lbs Flagstaff.
I also really like the axles being further apart for the stability. This could only enhance the towing. After I have 8-10 thousand dollars worth of repair made to my TT this winter I plan on selling it and going to the Tracer or possibly the Lacrosse for my seasonal site TT.
macbwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flumpydog View Post
We also have a swivel mount on the rear bumper for the outdoor grille, this is not available on the LaCrosse.
The swivel mount grill is available on the LaCrosse. It's included in the free upgrades they're offering, good through Oct 31st. The LaCrosse 303 RKS should be in any day now and it does include the free upgrades. I confirmed this with my salesman the other day and the deal on the table stays unchanged.

If for some reason it doesn't work out, we're looking at the LaCrosse 296 BHS since we usually have GK's camping with us. Also considering the Tracer 3000 or 3150. The dealer has the 2011 Tracer 3000 BHD on sale at $21,753. I'm sure he'll deal on the other models as well.

I am partial to the LaCrosse models for the reasons macbwt mentioned, but my main interest in these tt's is the Eternabond Construction. So either the LaCrosse or the Tracer will work as far as construction is concerend.

I guess the options in the free upgrade offer will become available in the future if you order a "Touring Edition" in the LaCrosse and Tracer models.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
Infractee

I dont know about tracer and lacrosse but in FR's other premium/standard lines, ex Rockwood signature ultra lite vs rockwood ultra lite and Flagstaff classic ultralite vs Flagstaff ultra lite, the big external differences, type of laminate material, 14" inch wheels with two steps vs 15" wheels and three steps, several small items, prolly black tank flush port, power awnings etc.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #6

they are both really good I think, each having their pluses.
now if I can only figure out how to get those aluminum rims hahaha
3 Energetic Wee Boys

Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
Infractee

Oh yeah, forgot about that! Usually the 14" wheels will be painted white steel type and the 15" will be aluminium...
Tho with the other FR units you can usually upgrade the 14" to alum.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Oh yeah, forgot about that! Usually the 14" wheels will be painted white steel type and the 15" will be aluminium...
Tho with the other FR units you can usually upgrade the 14" to alum.
Both the LaCrosse and Tracer models come with grey steel 15" wheels with a chome center cap. The aluminum wheels are an upgrade available on both models.

Both models also have 3 steps, black tank flush, elec awnings and elec stabilizer jacks. Also, the laminate material is the same since the construction is exactly the same on both models.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
Infractee

Nice!! Sounds like even the more affordable one is nicely equipped!
Old 09-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #10

You cannot get 3 steps on the Tracer, you have to do this as an aftermarket option, unless they have changed this very recently. The LaCrosse has 27" wide steps, and the Tracer are 24". We put 3 steps on our Tracer and had to have a welding/fabrication shop make up the brackets for this, as we called Forest River and there were no options from them for this, our dealer was good enough to include this for us. The first step on our 3150BHD Tracer was 18" off the ground, a bit too much for the kids and even myself.

Aluminum Rims were not an option as well when we purchased ours, but sure would be nice looking on the trailer. They do have 15 inch steel rims on them and to me the metal appears to be a bit soft, or else we have had a bad batch. Torquing them down to 100 ft. lbs caused some damage to the rims, which have already been replaced. The dealer thought perhaps as well that they might have been torqued too much at the factory. PrimeTime recommends between 90 - 120 ft. lbs of torque for them.

Best Wishes,
Chuck
Old 09-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flumpydog View Post
You cannot get 3 steps on the Tracer, you have to do this as an aftermarket option, unless they have changed this very recently. The LaCrosse has 27" wide steps, and the Tracer are 24". We put 3 steps on our Tracer and had to have a welding/fabrication shop make up the brackets for this, as we called Forest River and there were no options from them for this, our dealer was good enough to include this for us. The first step on our 3150BHD Tracer was 18" off the ground, a bit too much for the kids and even myself.
Best Wishes,
Chuck
My bad. I didn't mean to pass on bad info. When we checked out the tt's on the dealer's lot I thought the Tracers had 3 steps. I was mainly checking out the LaCrosses, so I guess I wasn't paying very close attention to the Tracers. Won't be the first time I was wrong and I'm sure it won't be the last. Just ask my wife!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #12

looks like I was wrong, as I see the newer revisions of the Tracer 3150BHD's now have 3 steps instead of 2. Great to see that as the 2 steps were a bit high off the ground.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #13

I went by the dealers today. Bad News. Last month when my salesman asked when the tt was due off line they told him the 26th. That's why he told me it should be in the first week of this month. He found out this morning the off line date is the 26th of this month. It will be the first week in Nov before it arrives at the dealers.

Good news is they finally have my tt repaired. It only took 5 weeks! I'm going back in the morning and I'll probably set it up on consignment to see if it might sell before the 303 comes in. If it does it will probably save me $2,000-$2,500. I would wait to sell it before I buy but the upgrades are worth $3,800 and are only good through the end of this month.

I checked out the Tracers on the lot. They only had 2 steps. I guess the upgrade to 3 is fairly new.

Both trailers are nice, but I'm still leaning towards the LaCrosse. I jumped up and down in one today (I'm 6', 232 lbs.) and it hardly moved at all. These tt's do have a solid feel to 'em.