Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2024, 07:57 PM   #1

Exclamation Magic Chef stove glass backsplash exploded?

When i was given a "how to use my RV" (first timer in-service), I was told that the Magic Chef glass top cover has been known to explode.

Well my wife were using our stove for the 4th time. Dare I say cooking 3 hot dogs on the front burner. thankfully my wife turned to hand me my hotdogs and BOOM! the glass top which was folded as a back splash exploded.

Regrettably, one hot dog did not make it, but after i shared what was left of our lunch, it was time to clean up.

Glass fragments were everywhere. Has this happened to anyone else?

One last thing... the glass top was folded back and we were using the front burner, not even the back ones. We did not use the stove top as a glass top stove top, like i read from someone else on this web forum.

first timer here, not sure how to attach pics

TimD
Trulys Dog House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 09:30 AM   #2

The one in out trailer did the same thing, I am not sure if the glass top cover was Magic Chef.
GREGJENN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 10:10 AM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

I've heard of this before. If the glass was folded all the way back to uncover all burners, this should not have happened, ESPECIALLY if only using the front burner. If this happened to me and I called Magic Chef, I'm guessing they would probably try to weasel out of it and say I put the glass back down over a hot burner, or that I lit a burner with the top still down. 5 years with our Suburban glass cover and still good.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 10:33 AM   #4

The exploding glass top exploded on my rig, as well, but having spoken to a fewvictims it is a result of human error. If the glass top is not folded back completely, it will heat tremendously. I smelled something peculiar one morning while making coffee and noticed the bottom of the folded top glowing red. I turned off the flame, removed the coffee, and prayed it would not crack while cooling. It didn't crack. It exploded.

After sweeping and vacuuming all the glass I could find, I removed the top and proceeded to clean that out as well. After being very confident I had removed it all, I returned every thing to working order. A year later I still find an odd piece in the oven that had escaped my careful inspection. I haven't seen any glass now some two years later.

Side note: After reading a lot, speaking with many RVers and my local repair guy (very good shop), I've decided not to replace the glass. It's expensive and a pain. Although it looked nice, it really detracted from the galley functionally. Like may others, I put a big wood cutting over the burners when stationary. It extends the working space of my counter provides a handy place for cutting.
mrmerced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 09:11 AM   #5

Just curious?

Would using a tempered glass be more ideal? Sounds like the heat from the burners is affecting the glass in a manor where it gets too hot. My guess is tempered glass is too expensive?
JoshB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 09:16 PM   #6

I dont know exactly what glass is used. I suspect pyrex and because it exploded in a thousand pieces i am guessing its also tempered. im guessing a manufactures or installers mishap while handling the building of the unit.
Regardless, my wife is now wearing protective eye glasses (goggles) when cooking. She is that afraid.
I installed the new stove top. It came very quickly. My next trip is July 3rd. lets see what happens.
Trulys Dog House is offline   Reply With Quote