Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #21

Getting a new FR3. Thinking of adding to an invertor in order to have a 120 volt source with out turning on the generator and boon docking. Don't need much amperage. Looking for an alarm clock, small electric heater in the cold season, charge a phone. Figure just one outlet in the center of the unit.
Now just starting to look at any options of what might be possible, of if it is even worth the money and time to do?
Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #22

You will need a pretty substantial inverter to power any kind of heater. One large enough for that is likely to be fairly expensive.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #23

The other loads can be 12V (phone) and a wind up clock. Inverters are inherently very energy wasteful and you'd end up adding batteries. Better off with small solar system and use your gas heater, sparingly.....
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #24
MI Camperz

I saw the picture from the link. I don't get how it has Class C attributes at all...It just looks like a Class A motor home to me. Even says, "Class A Motorhome"
Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
I saw the picture from the link. I don't get how it has Class C attributes at all...It just looks like a Class A motor home to me. Even says, "Class A Motorhome"
Drop down overhead bunk is the primary reason for the class C "attribute"
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #26
MI Camperz

Oh, I see. Nice model either way. Coming in around 30' vs. 40' is a little more flexible for a lot of people, I imagine. Very Kewl.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #27

Just got, and hooked up my new FR3. They seem to have a problem remembering which water input is for 'fresh water tank' and the 'city water hookup'. Hooked water up, then went inside to make sure water turned on. Found no pressure! Went outside and noticed water flowing onto the ground from the overflow hose. Killed the city water, swapped connections, and all worked!! Luckily I had read of this happening before on a different model.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Chamber View Post
Just got, and hooked up my new FR3. They seem to have a problem remembering which water input is for 'fresh water tank' and the 'city water hookup'. Hooked water up, then went inside to make sure water turned on. Found no pressure! Went outside and noticed water flowing onto the ground from the overflow hose. Killed the city water, swapped connections, and all worked!! Luckily I had read of this happening before on a different model.
Which one was the correct connection?
Pick mine up next week.
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #29

Left = fresh water tank. Right = city water line. At least on my unit.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #30
Retired US Army CW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Chamber View Post
The first time out in my 2014 Georgetown 329DS the same thing happened to me. The dealer thought I had a bad pressure valve in the water pump until they got a look at it. All of the labels for my fresh, city and black flush were labeled incorrectly. Called Forest River and they said this has come up a couple of times and they are addressing it. In the meantime the dealer has ordered me a new set of labels that have the correct markings.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #31

Had same problem, remove decal "fill" next to "City" and you'll be set. City is a pressure connection, not fill.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #32

Day 1 of he new FR 3 was not the best.

Picked up Monday. Dealer delivered it to me with 1/4 tank of gas and no propane. Was not pleased but onward.
Took it to a hitch place to have the motorcycle carrier installed and they put in on the hoist. No radio on the way home. Realized they broke my radio antenna off.
Half way home, back up and side view cameras stopped working.
Got it home and the entertainment centre would not power on.
The generator would not keep running for more than a few secs.
Can't figure out how to shut off battery connect so that the steps will stay closed.
Dealer is 2.5 hours away.left message today, and sales guy said tech would call. None did.
So all fixable stuff but no fun.

On a positive note, the rig drove exceptionally well. Way better than the Ace we tried. No rattles and very tight when turning at higher speeds. Did not wander in the wind. The cockpit is very user friendly? All switches and knobs were very easy to use. The seats are very comfortable . Did not shift in my seat once for the 2.5 hrs drive home.

Aiming for 1st trip, May long weekend. Will provide feedback.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #33
Retired US Army CW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
Day 1 of he new FR 3 was not the best.

Picked up Monday. Dealer delivered it to me with 1/4 tank of gas and no propane. Was not pleased but onward.
Took it to a hitch place to have the motorcycle carrier installed and they put in on the hoist. No radio on the way home. Realized they broke my radio antenna off.
Half way home, back up and side view cameras stopped working.
Got it home and the entertainment centre would not power on.
The generator would not keep running for more than a few secs.
Can't figure out how to shut off battery connect so that the steps will stay closed.
Dealer is 2.5 hours away.left message today, and sales guy said tech would call. None did.
So all fixable stuff but no fun.

On a positive note, the rig drove exceptionally well. Way better than the Ace we tried. No rattles and very tight when turning at higher speeds. Did not wander in the wind. The cockpit is very user friendly? All switches and knobs were very easy to use. The seats are very comfortable . Did not shift in my seat once for the 2.5 hrs drive home.

Aiming for 1st trip, May long weekend. Will provide feedback.
WOW! Hope it gets better for you! We pretty much told the dealer if he didn't fill the gas and propane we would walk. He filled both. I played with the "keeping the steps closed" thing for at least an hour. What I came up with is close the screen door and let the steps retract and then reach through the screen door opening and turn the switch off and then close the door.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #34
Director, FROG

Regarding the generator, typically it draws fuel from the main tank and won't run if the tank is below 1/4 tank so that it won't accidentally run you out of fuel. It sounds as if the generator is trying to run and literally running out of fuel because the tube in the fuel can't draw. Fill the fuel tank, prime the generator for about 30 seconds, and I suspect that it will run just fine.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Kat View Post

WOW! Hope it gets better for you! We pretty much told the dealer if he didn't fill the gas and propane we would walk. He filled both. I played with the "keeping the steps closed" thing for at least an hour. What I came up with is close the screen door and let the steps retract and then reach through the screen door opening and turn the switch off and then close the door.
Ahhhh.... I never thought of that, thanks! Obviously an over-sight by Forest River. I would have expected more.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Regarding the generator, typically it draws fuel from the main tank and won't run if the tank is below 1/4 tank so that it won't accidentally run you out of fuel. It sounds as if the generator is trying to run and literally running out of fuel because the tube in the fuel can't draw. Fill the fuel tank, prime the generator for about 30 seconds, and I suspect that it will run just fine.
Yeah, the first thing I thought of but have a half tank of gas. I am however parked a bit uneven, I may try to level it up later and try again.

Errr , frustrating....

Thanks for your response!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #37

Update:

Started up the truck today, all cameras working. Weird but happy.

Levelled truck and generator working fine. Must have just been enough slant to starve the fuel. Happy!

Only outstanding issue is the Jensen Entertainment Centre is not powering on. Checked all fuses, checked for loose wires , nutta . Frustrating because it worked fine when I picked it up.

Now for bad luck, I have to pay the sales tax again because I live in Ontario and purchased in Quebec. I have to apply for refund from Quebec. Wouldn't be a big deal but apparently it takes several months to receive. Man I hate govt idiots. Why collect it, if you know you will have to give it back? Errrrr,!

Need a beer....fun.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #38

Doing further inspection on moving in to my FR3. Seems the city water lines, or something just above the tank area is leaking. Have not checked yet on exactly where the water is coming from. Will have to get into the unit with water turned on, in order to see if it is coming from some part of the line or from above it. (bathroom is just above the tanks and input area.) Hope weather here in Iowa gets better next week so I can do that.

As to the water labels, once I got looking at the panel, realized that the inputs go to two tubes that are hooked to the panel and can be easily changed, so not sure if the labels are wrong, or if the lines were swapped.

Turned on the generator today for the first time in the week I have had it. Took about 30 seconds of turning over before it caught. Ran it for 5 minutes to pull the slides in. (wind is picking up here today) A half hour later, needed to turn it on again to finish up some other work on the slides. The generator started up in the first couple of seconds. So figure it just needed to get primed up again.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #39

Question to all on unit slides?

How much can they take in wind or bad weather, before you take them in? Or would it make any difference, in or out for safety?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #40

The FR3 has stereo output from the sound center control. speaker A goes to the internal cabin speaker, the B speakers that go to the outside speakers below the outside TV. Speakers C seem to go nowhere. I am thinking of taking those speaker wires into a surround sound system I am adding with the internal TV and radio outputs. Then turn down the cabin speakers to listen to a better sound set.
Just trying to get back to the wires, or see where they may have been placed.