Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2019, 08:34 PM   #1

PI EMS-HW30C Surge Protector

You may want to RE-Think this one ... I just received my PI EMS-HW30C today .. reading the manual i discovered DO NOT USE WITH AN INVERTER..
Well that just sucks ... so I checked some other forums and found this ... was reading about that on another RV forum. The "bypass" on/off switch disables the EMS functions, but it doesn't take the components out of the circuit.

The problem apparently is when an inverter switches between a pure sine-wave output under normal load and modified sine-wave output under peak load (like starting A/C). Even though the EMS functions are disabled with the "bypass" switch, the switching between pure and modified sine-wave damages the components of the EMS.
2013 Honda F6B
530 Watts Solar roof Mt, 2000 watt Sine Wave Inverter Goodyear Endurance
89 days camped 2019, 81 days in 2020, 74 days 2021, 103 days 2022
Bob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:08 PM   #2

"NEVER plug the EMS into an inverter. EMS units can be used with inverter- generators." There is a difference between plugging into an inverter and plugging MH into the SMS that has an inverter. I sent Progressive for clarification.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
"NEVER plug the EMS into an inverter. EMS units can be used with inverter- generators." There is a difference between plugging into an inverter and plugging MH into the SMS that has an inverter. I sent Progressive for clarification.
good to hear this ... I have also sent a request to Progressive for info ... it will be interesting
2013 Honda F6B
Old 07-28-2019, 08:19 AM   #4

Do people use inverters for their a/c? That would be a HUGE draw for power. I’m guessing 6-8 battery bank would be needed.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:12 AM   #5

the EMS is typically installed in the incoming shore power cord. it monitors shore power coming into it. there is also typically a transfer or bypass function in an auto transfer switch (ATS) or inverter bypass switch that keeps generator power or inverter power from connecting to the shore power cord. so the EMS is not going to ever see inverter power or generator power. (some people do install the EMS after the generator ATS so in that location it could see generator power but not inverter power.)

the only way that the EMS would see inverter power would be to install it in the output power line from the inverter. its hard for me to understand why you would ever do that.

basic electrically safety precludes allowing two power sources to be interconnected. shore power, inverter power, and generator power should never interact!
Old 07-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
the EMS is typically installed in the incoming shore power cord. it monitors shore power coming into it. there is also typically a transfer or bypass function in an auto transfer switch (ATS) or inverter bypass switch that keeps generator power or inverter power from connecting to the shore power cord. so the EMS is not going to ever see inverter power or generator power. (some people do install the EMS after the generator ATS so in that location it could see generator power but not inverter power.)

the only way that the EMS would see inverter power would be to install it in the output power line from the inverter. its hard for me to understand why you would ever do that.

basic electrically safety precludes allowing two power sources to be interconnected. shore power, inverter power, and generator power should never interact!
Not Everyone has INTERNAL generators and Auto XFR switches ... with a EXternal inverter Gen and a external Inverter (Physically Attached but not wired permanently output Wire attached has 30A female connector available). this setup is not all auto but works great Just have to flip off a few breakers when using the inverter .. with this setup it is impossible to connect two power sources at the same time.. I will most likely have to use the EXTERNAL EMS at the CG power box... ( don't need EMS anyway with gen & inverter)
2013 Honda F6B
Old 07-28-2019, 01:06 PM   #7

My PI EMS-HW30C works fine with my inverter. It's a pure sine wave inverter and as far as I know, would never switch to a MSW. With my generator it won't because of the ground neutral bonding so i just put it in bypass for the rare occasion I ever use a generator.

Personally, if it doesn't work with your inverter, I wouldn't worry that much if its a quality inverter and you just hit the bypass switch. I doubt you are running your AC off of it right?

BTW, I don't use a transfer switch either. I have a plug external to my trailer that is hardwired into my inverter. I plug my shorepower cord into it. I always have my converter turned off both at the circuit breaker and the 12V breaker after the converter.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
My PI EMS-HW30C works fine with my inverter. It's a pure sine wave inverter and as far as I know, would never switch to a MSW. With my generator it won't because of the ground neutral bonding so i just put it in bypass for the rare occasion I ever use a generator.

Personally, if it doesn't work with your inverter, I wouldn't worry that much if its a quality inverter and you just hit the bypass switch. I doubt you are running your AC off of it right?
You are correct only the Inverter gen would be used not the battery/inverter to power the AC .. not near enough battery for that .. But still the directions say DO NOT CONNECT TO AN INVERTER and that is what the gen is. It is a Craftsman (Generac) 2300w Run, 3000w Start.. .. I am not sure what happens if it has to operate a short time in the 3Kw range while the AC starts.. On some of the other Forums folks have burnt up the Control board in the EMS. PI has replaced it but told them not to use a inverter ... the note was just added to the current installation book ... I intend to talk with PI tomorrow maybe they have a fix
2013 Honda F6B
Old 07-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #9

My bad! Sorry! I was not thinking of an inverter that is part of an external generator. Please post what the mfg responds with.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob43 View Post
You are correct only the Inverter gen would be used not the battery/inverter to power the AC .. not near enough battery for that .. But still the directions say DO NOT CONNECT TO AN INVERTER and that is what the gen is. It is a Craftsman (Generac) 2300w Run, 3000w Start.. .. I am not sure what happens if it has to operate a short time in the 3Kw range while the AC starts.. On some of the other Forums folks have burnt up the Control board in the EMS. PI has replaced it but told them not to use a inverter ... the note was just added to the current installation book ... I intend to talk with PI tomorrow maybe they have a fix
It would be interesting to see what they say. Like I said, when I use my generator(inverter type) I just put the EMS in bypass because of the neutral ground bonding issue. Not sure how people burn up their control boards unless the generators are putting a lot of out of frequency components that burn up the MOVs.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #11

Quote:
It would be interesting to see what they say. Like I said, when I use my generator(inverter type) I just put the EMS in bypass because of the neutral ground bonding issue. Not sure how people burn up their control boards unless the generators are putting a lot of out of frequency components that burn up the MOVs.
I am finding Posts that go back as far as 2015 on other forums .. this was a Response from PI about OCT 2015 ... "

"Concerning the use of a generator with an inverter, our EMS are designed to be used in the RV environment using a commercial power source. The hazard to our device when using an aftermarket generator, is that some provide a modified sine output, which can cause damage. Others provide a pure sine wave at all times, and others will switch to a modified sine wave under heavy loads. The portion of our units than can be damaged is the surge protect and is not bypassed using the bypass switch. Since there are many brands of generators on the market and numerous models I can not offer specific guidance on which one to select."

"The important thing to keep in mind is some inverters have a modified sine wave output, this can cause damage to the components of the EMS and is not covered by the warranty. Many of our customer have had success using various models of Honda generators. Our EMS units are engineered to work with commercial power supplied by camp grounds and RV/Trailers, so we cannot be responsible for malfunctions or damage."

Lots of folks on other forums are using the Honda Gen with no problem .. it sounds like the Yamaha EF2000iS was one of those models that has a problem ... It would be nice to know if MY(Craftsman) Generac 3000I is good or bad ..I am not sure that i am willing to test in on a $240 EMS ... And I thought this was gonna be EZ .. Has any one connected up a Generac
3000i
2013 Honda F6B
Old 07-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob43 View Post
Lots of folks on other forums are using the Honda Gen with no problem .. it sounds like the Yamaha EF2000iS was one of those models that has a problem ... It would be nice to know if MY(Craftsman) Generac 3000I is good or bad ..I am not sure that i am willing to test in on a $240 EMS ... And I thought this was gonna be EZ .. Has any one connected up a Generac
3000i
Find someone who owns an oscilloscope and have look at it, especially while under load..
Old 07-28-2019, 03:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Find someone who owns an oscilloscope and have look at it, especially while under load..
Good Idea, I used to have on but it has gone to the happy hunting ground..

I am leaning toward sending it back and getting EMS-PT30X and a lock. I may still know someone with a O scope.
2013 Honda F6B