Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #1

RV comeback drives hiring boom in Indiana town

RV comeback drives hiring boom in Indiana town - The Daily Nightly

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #2

There was a video report on NBC news last night about the recovery of the RV industry. It’s good to hear the booming industry has brought back jobs to Elkhart County, IN. According to the report, unemployment has dropped from 20.2% in Mar 2009 down to 8.2% in Apr 2013.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
DDC

Nice to see some good news in this crazy world we exist in.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #4

Nice to see more people enjoying RV'ing.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #5

Great news for the workers, bad news for the consumer... Supply and demand, more demand and the price will go up another 10-20%.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #6

Hopefully it's one sign of the overall economy and jobs coming back. This was the roughest recession I can recall in my 48 years on planet earth.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
Hopefully it's one sign of the overall economy and jobs coming back. This was the roughest recession I can recall in my 48 years on planet earth.
We had our own personal recession, I recall when we got married in 1960 and going to college, lived in an 8x32 trailer ($8/mo lot rent) and spent $7/wk at the grocery store and that had to buy everything. Got so sick of pot pies, 5/$1. Haven't eaten any since.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We had our own personal recession, I recall when we got married in 1960 and going to college, lived in an 8x32 trailer ($8/mo lot rent) and spent $7/wk at the grocery store and that had to buy everything. Got so sick of pot pies, 5/$1. Haven't eaten any since.
I love those little cheap pot pies but I know what you mean. When I was a kid we didn't have a lot of money and my dad liked to fish. Seemed we had fish every other night. It was years before I could eat fish again. funny. I am going to my parents house after work tonight for supper and I hope they are having fish
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
When starting out as a manufacturers' rep in the early 70s, I was trying to cover 6 states and repping lines with products new to the market, so very little commissions at first. I was exhausting my savings for first several months. Fortunately I found Days' Inns and Motel 6's, and a bunch of mom/pop motels. I'd carry canned beans, viennas, etc., and heat them in the lavatory under hot water. I'd carry a jerry can with me to fill if I found gas at a great price! And of course, to make matters more interesting - had two little ones born during the 70s. Wife worked when she could, but times were tough. And camping was in a popop, usually poaching on someones private property! Those were the "good ole days"
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
When starting out as a manufacturers' rep in the early 70s, I was trying to cover 6 states and repping lines with products new to the market, so very little commissions at first. I was exhausting my savings for first several months. Fortunately I found Days' Inns and Motel 6's, and a bunch of mom/pop motels. I'd carry canned beans, viennas, etc., and heat them in the lavatory under hot water. I'd carry a jerry can with me to fill if I found gas at a great price! And of course, to make matters more interesting - had two little ones born during the 70s. Wife worked when she could, but times were tough. And camping was in a popop, usually poaching on someones private property! Those were the "good ole days"
We camped in a WWII pup tent on our 'honeymoon trip' to Branson that we took when we got to college that fall.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Me too Coot. DW was buying them for $0.12 ea when I was in college. Haven't had one since...

2013 Coachmen Encounter 36KS, 2020 Chevrolet Equinox toad, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Brake Buddy Vantage Select, Protect-a-Tow, 5 Star Tune, M4 LED lights, BIRD, ATS, Xantrex PROwatt 1000 SW Inverter and many other accessories & mods.
LLVanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #12

Camped across Canada and all the way up to the Yukon on my first honeymoon in an 8' x 8' canvas tent when I was 20. We ran out of money and had to stay and work for a year to afford to come back east,lol. Jobs were plentiful back in 1970!
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:58 AM   #13
MI Camperz

Man....Love the roughing it stories. Had a $10/week food budget away at college in my day. Can't eat hot dogs or mac n cheese.

Anyway...I believe the recovery for RVs. At our seasonal site, they sell very fast this spring, as opposed to last year and the year before where units and all the goodies like decks, sheds, golf carts hung around mostly all season.
One somewhat older 5th wheel with a lake view across from marina sold 2 years ago with golf cart, deck, motorized fishing boat for $3k. Heck, it was like buy the golf cart, deck and fishing boat cheap and get the camper free with a lake view lot.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #14

Smile FROG Elkhart Co. Fairgrounds in August 2013

can anyone please send me info on this Rally :-) I would like to participate :-) thanks my email is bjlofty@earthlink.net :-) again, thank you :-) Beverly Lofty
bjlofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
There was a video report on NBC news last night about the recovery of the RV industry. It’s good to hear the booming industry has brought back jobs to Elkhart County, IN. According to the report, unemployment has dropped from 20.2% in Mar 2009 down to 8.2% in Apr 2013.
Good maybe some QUALITY - PRIDE IN WORKMANSHIP will too!
something missing in the U.S. rv market

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by platokidd View Post
Good maybe some QUALITY - PRIDE IN WORKMANSHIP will too!
something missing in the U.S. rv market
I agree

Man, reading all of these stories almost makes me think I had it good with my Ramen Noodles..........................but it never got so bad I had to mix them with water from the back of the toilet.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #17
NELA

Well I never had to walk to school barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways, but...here comes confession time...

First Not-so-DH (now EX) abandoned me with a toddler...had a job making minimum wage, getting paid every two weeks....

Ever collected and turned in deposit soda bottles to feed your young'un? Walk to the store, turn in the soda bottles and buy a can of soup for him.

I have, and that's embarrassing to admit. But I did what I had to do to take care of *my* baby...never signed up for food stamps and wouldn't accept help from my parents...to darned proud for either one.

We made it just fine, btw.

Good googly gosh I'm thankful for what we have now! DH and I both have had more than our share of rough times, it just made us tougher, more grateful, and a helluvalot more determined.

I keep a small bowl of blown glass cherries in our RV. It's a play on irony, as life has been anything *but* a bowl of cherries for us.

Yep, WMTire, DH and I have both eaten our share of Ramen Noodles. When I added those to our prepper stash we both got a laugh out of it.

He still enjoys a mini chicken pot pie now and then (eyeroll), but much prefers and *loves* my "chicken pot pie soup"!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLVanB View Post
Me too Coot. DW was buying them for $0.12 ea when I was in college. Haven't had one since...
In Chapel Hill in the early 70's, $1.25 would buy a six-pack of Red, White and Blue beer, which we later discovered was Pabst Blue Ribbon's economy brand. Worked for us. Another place had a lunch special selling draft beer and hot dogs for 10 cents each. You could take a roll of dimes and have a big time.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #19

Recently purchased a camper and while in the process of narrowing the field we ran across a sign that said, " the camper you looked at today and are gonna think about till tomorrow is the camper someone looked at yesterday and are coming back to buy today.". My wife and I laughed and said. REALLY
Turns out they were right. They sold eleven that week, including all of the ones we were interested in. And when we got back the next weekend were shocked at the volume they were moving. We went many places and this was the norm. The industry seems to be doing well from where I sit.
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #20
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
Recently purchased a camper and while in the process of narrowing the field we ran across a sign that said, " the camper you're looked at today and are gonna think about till tomorrow is the camper someone looked at yesterday and are coming back to buy today.". My wife and I laughed and said. REALLY
Turns out they were right. They sold eleven that week, including all of the ones we were interested in. And when we got back the next weekend were shocked at the volume. We went many places and this was the norm. The industry seems to be doing well from where I sit.
LOL...I like that quote!