Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 01:38 PM   #1

RV Industry Grinds To A Halt

The boom is over. High gas prices and rising itrest rates to blame.

2 plant closures and over 300 layoffs coming in September.

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/...-industry?s=01
nvs4602 is offline   Reply
Old 07-23-2022, 03:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
The boom is over. High gas prices and rising itrest rates to blame.

2 plant closures and over 300 layoffs coming in September.

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/...-industry?s=01
Two comments I picked up from the article. One was that "dealers aren't buying what we're producing" and sales and "fluctuations in interest rates, gas prices, inflation, and consumer sentiment"

Could it be that the "crap" the industry has been producing over the last couple of years be actually catching up with the manufacturers?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply
Old 07-23-2022, 05:07 PM   #3

Along with the above points, there is also the fact of many people are required to return to the office. Those that have returned are taking on multiple responsibilities/positions due to the economic downturn, so there isn't any more time travel while working from an RV.

If any RV manufacturer is aware enough to gain a "take-away" from this situation it would be to differentiate themselves by increasing outgoing quality and/or warranty claims.
Old 07-23-2022, 06:01 PM   #4

Personally Im happy to see the slow down and downsizing. Wed love to buy a second trailer, a smaller one for shorter trips. Fortunately, we have the luxury to wait a year or more for the bottom to fall out.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply
Old 07-23-2022, 06:12 PM   #5

One thing missing from those reports is the class of rv manufactured in those plants. Are people not buying large vs small trailers or class A or B's? Also, lack of parts makes manufacturing difficult. Dealers may not be ordering because of the lack of and cost of shipping.
They also don't mention lack of affordable campgrounds.

Too many variables and this may be a more 'return to normal' situation. That doesn't make a good headline though.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
One thing missing from those reports is the class of rv manufactured in those plants. Are people not buying large vs small trailers or class A or B's? Also, lack of parts makes manufacturing difficult. Dealers may not be ordering because of the lack of and cost of shipping.
They also don't mention lack of affordable campgrounds.

Too many variables and this may be a more 'return to normal' situation. That doesn't make a good headline though.
They did say Keystone , so that tells me for that plant it's the lower tier . When I hear Keystone I think , worse than average .
Ken-m is offline   Reply
Old 07-23-2022, 07:04 PM   #7

Just got back from a trip to Branson MO. and all the RV dealers I passed are NOT hurting on Inventory now. Haven't seem as many RV's on the lots these past few years.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply
Old 07-23-2022, 07:16 PM   #8

Gas prices and interest at the beginning of summer had to hurt. Now that gas might be going down, not much more summer left. We were looking last year and there was hardly anything on the lot. Bought early this year. Lucky to buy the truck three years ago. Hardly anything on the dealer lots to pull with in our area.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:35 PM   #9

Of the two Keystone plants closing, one of them is/was for their Laredo 5th wheel trailers, of which the Laredo line was apparently already ceased production earlier this year. The other plant probably was also associated with the same trailer.

While rv sales are probably slowing, becoming stagnant, and there might be consolidation/closures, this particular closure is probably more of consolidating models. No different than auto manufacturers stopping production of certain vehicle models.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply
Old 07-23-2022, 08:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipntdot View Post
Lucky to buy the truck three years ago. Hardly anything on the dealer lots to pull with in our area.
Now that's something to consider. If you can't buy a truck to pull a trailer, that would shut down sales. Trucks are almost impossible to find around Houston.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:55 PM   #11
Open Space Wanted

Probably can merge. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ff-254285.html

The graphic from the article was for shipments since they started cranking them out last year due to the lock down of 2020.

..."Came back from the NC coast and again noticed the sea of RVs on the lots still sitting there like back in April. Wasn't a camping trip and enjoying home comforts.

The current economic disaster will get worse as inflation continues to rise leaving people to ride out the recession through next year. Don't think people will be willing to borrow with increasing interest rates either.

Guess those of you complaining about crowded sites may get your wish after all."
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply
Old 07-23-2022, 10:34 PM   #12

Angry

It is inflation at it's best!
Those of us that have lived long enough to have experienced the inflation of the 70's and 80's, we know what it is like. Buckle down and ride it out.

There was a time then that you couldn't get a price on a John Deere tractor until it arrived at the dealer, if that wasn't fun.

This time we are seeing high insurance costs here in Washington state, thanks to our insurance commissioner. He decided it was a covid emergency so he changed the way they calculate your premiums. That's only worsened by the great fuel prices which our dictator plans to raise by the end of the year.

I'm getting off subject, sorry. Just got our ins bill

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply
Old 07-24-2022, 06:41 AM   #13
Steve & Linda M.

Walking a fine line while the emperor has no clothes, but no one cares to see. I'll just have to buy a pair of rose colored glasses, so that what I see appears normal.
Started back in '82 and cheap beer was good enough. "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" Round trip to Alaska '87 ~ 10kMi - hope 2 repeat. Since 1994 Tioga Montara (new), 2006 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel (new), 2015 Thor Siesta (new - Workmanship sucked) & 2017 Tiffin Breeze (Used -Workmanship decline cont.)
Force 34KD On Way to Dealer.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply
Old 07-24-2022, 07:10 AM   #14

Meanwhile I am sad for people being layed off, I feel this downturn may help us in the long run. RV manufacturers may be able to reconsider their quality assurance practices. Most likely not right away, as they will respond not by upping their quality but by looking for even cheaper products.

But that's so typical for shortsighted industries. Unnatural upswings will cause natural downswings. Selling more is not always good.
HelG is offline   Reply
Old 07-24-2022, 08:57 AM   #15

I've noticed exceedingly full lots and dealers using offsite lots for storage. Boom is always followed by bust. With the insane prices on trailers and motorhomes, high interest rates, crowded campgrounds and the increase in site rental costs, it's no surprise that the luster has begun to fade. I expect there will be some good deals to be had by the people with cash to buy something used.
00buck is offline   Reply
Old 07-24-2022, 09:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
I've noticed exceedingly full lots and dealers using offsite lots for storage. Boom is always followed by bust. With the insane prices on trailers and motorhomes, high interest rates, crowded campgrounds and the increase in site rental costs, it's no surprise that the luster has begun to fade. I expect there will be some good deals to be had by the people with cash to buy something used.
Sad thing is so many people will be upside down on their loans, that they won't be able to sell without a huge loss. They won't be able to afford to keep or sell it.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply
Old 07-24-2022, 09:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Sad thing is so many people will be upside down on their loans, that they won't be able to sell without a huge loss. They won't be able to afford to keep or sell it.

Good point. I think it will extend to vehicles as well. When the market returns to normal, the people who paid crazy prices for used vehicles will have to hold on to them until the wheels fall off. The same this happens during housing booms. The people who bought my last house paid $25K more than the asking price. A year and a half later, the bottom fell out.
00buck is offline   Reply
Old 07-24-2022, 09:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Sad? Predictable. Folks who ignore history will repeat it.
I have a couple of friends who bought RVs at the heigth of the market. They were warned by many sources, but chose to do so anyway. I don't feel sorry for them.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply
Old 07-24-2022, 10:33 AM   #19

Just come back from Amish Family RV and did tours of Cedar Creek and Riverstone plants. Both said one of the biggest problems is getting transport drivers and dealers not buying inventory. The delivery lots and factory lots were full and most of them are ordered units with names on them. Delivery to Canada is a problem also due to the mandates from COVID a lot of the transport drivers will not or cannot go into Canada.
Jrb06 is offline   Reply
Old 07-24-2022, 10:39 AM   #20

So the manufacturer is having problems getting transport drivers to deliver, but in next sentence you state the dealers aren't buying ?

I just got back from a trip in Michigan , every dealer I passed had a unbelievable amount of inventory. I swear 1 had 50 acres of rigs .
Ken-m is offline   Reply
Closed Thread