Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjesparza1988 View Post
We generally encounter a couple different types of RVers. The ones that do a lot of research know more closely what they want, so we would be able to do more "over the phone sales" without a problem as long as we know that's what they want to do. I know we also like to build a relationship with them, as most RVers will be coming in for service and supplies in the years to come.

We also have customers who don't know what they want and I think that's why sales people like to see them. If they are good, then they will know their product and inventory so well they can point them in the right direction. I'm a firm believer in sales people knowing their product and believing in it.
I understand completely. I was in a situation where I knew exactly what I wanted and what I was looking for. I did all my homework and research before I started contacting dealers. I'm with ependydad on responses. If I feel I'm getting a run around, I run away.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Your website matters - make information easy to find. If you're going to have a site, keep it updated. An outdated site makes me run away fast.

Figure out a way to support the buyers who don't want to buy off of the lot and will order a unit. I think RVW has the market cornered on the "build your own" from an ordering perspective.
Thanks for your response!

I know from a dealer perspective that if we order a unit, many time we need a large chunk of it paid for. This is only because sometimes we get stuck with a RV for a long time if it's not a popular model and the buyer decides later they don't want it.

I never thought about putting the manufacturer's website. That's a good idea. My only concern, is that my goal is to keep users on my site, perhaps it's not quite as big a deal as I think it is.

I agree very much about getting back to customers promptly and professionally. This is something I'm going to forward to our sales guys.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Suggestion for your question

I will make this suggestion for your question: Go to the following websites
to view.

I bought from one of these company's with a very positive experience on line.
Cheyenne Camping Center, the lowest priced gas motorhomes, diesel pushers, fifth wheels, travel trailers, toy haulers and fold down tent camper RVs!

The Original RV Wholesalers - RV Sales, RV Parts, RV Dealer, RV Super Store Dealer, 5th Wheel, Forest River

Both of these web-sights will more than answer your questions.

Good luck.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2022 51 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlee453 View Post
I agree with mjones. I want to see at least the 'sticker' price of the unit and a floor plan. The more pictures of the ACTUAL unit you are selling (not just 'stock' photos), the better. A video walkthrough is icing on the cake. Definately need the dry and gross weights of the unit. A count of how many people the unit can sleep is nice as well.

We just upgraded our TT last summer, and the website was THE deciding factor between the several dealers in our area. The dealer we went with had all the things above on their website. The couple that we didn't either didn't list all their inventory on line, or if they did, didn't list the additional details that allowed us to know what was right for us.

I'd consider us the typical family-aged RV buyer - husband and wife in early 40s, 4 kids. We've bought our last several cars as well as our two TT's owned so far by starting online and looking through dealer inventory there, and only showed up at the dealership to narrow down our selection between a couple of choices and then make the final deal.

If I've got to call you to find out the basics of what I need to know about the unit, then I'm moving on to the next dealer, frankly.

I also like getting the newsletters from our dealer through email. Actually, it was their newsletter announcing their end of clearance sale that led to us making the move late last summer to do our trade. I don't want to bombarded every 5 minutes, but an email every month or two letting me know what's going on, what's new and what's on sale, coupon for service, etc I do like.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. If I click on the website and it says "Call for Price", I'm finished with you right there and moving on somewhere else. I hate the high pressure pitch, which is what many dealers are looking to do by having me "Call for Price". If you are a serious dealer looking to sell, advertise it at a reasonable price.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
to view.

Cheyenne Camping Center, the lowest priced gas motorhomes, diesel pushers, fifth wheels, travel trailers, toy haulers and fold down tent camper RVs!

The Original RV Wholesalers - RV Sales, RV Parts, RV Dealer, RV Super Store Dealer, 5th Wheel, Forest River

Good luck.
Thanks! The first one has a TON of pictures. Question...is that what people really want. They are good, but I would say there is at least 100 pictures. If we sell because of that I'm willing to do that!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #26
CampingQueen

The more pictures the better! I want pics of the outside so I can see where all the hookups are, and features like what type of jacks, etc. I want pics of the inside from all angles. I love pictures of the INSIDE of storage spaces.

I literally downloaded all the pictures the dealer had of the two units were were looking at. Watched slideshows of them over and over again, probably 100s of times throughout my workday. Seems every time I'd study a picture, I'd see something I hadn't noticed before. By the time we made our decision and went to the dealer to actually look at the unit and make the deal, I knew more about the layout and options of our specific TT than the sales man did (and he's a really good sales person!)

Really can't over do actual pictures of any in-stock unit, IMO.
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
Always Learning

Quote:
I never thought about putting the manufacturer's website. That's a good idea. My only concern, is that my goal is to keep users on my site, perhaps it's not quite as big a deal as I think it is.
Bluntly, you're wrong.

Wow, ok - let me backpedal if you're still reading. I'm a web developer by day (and sadly, many nights).

The idea of keeping people on your site as long as possible yet providing links away from it seems counter-intuitive, I know. The idea for a site is to provide useful information. If I link away from your site and it was helpful, I'll remember your site and come back to it later.

I didn't so much mean about ordering a unit online. But, being able to see what options are available and how much those things cost (MSRP is fine). Let me build my RV on your site and then submit it for a quote. BUT- that's a lot of work and a fairly intensive DB-driven application.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Bluntly, you're wrong.

Wow, ok - let me backpedal if you're still reading. I'm a web developer by day (and sadly, many nights).

The idea of keeping people on your site as long as possible yet providing links away from it seems counter-intuitive, I know. The idea for a site is to provide useful information. If I link away from your site and it was helpful, I'll remember your site and come back to it later.

I didn't so much mean about ordering a unit online. But, being able to see what options are available and how much those things cost (MSRP is fine). Let me build my RV on your site and then submit it for a quote. BUT- that's a lot of work and a fairly intensive DB-driven application.
Okay, that makes sense and that's pretty true. I want to provide great information. Every other dealer does the same things...I need to stand out.

Unfortunately, my web design is limited to our third party application which for the RV industry is actually pretty good. UVS Junction does great, but they are limited in a couple of areas.

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #29
Camper Less Camping

Quote:

Okay, that makes sense and that's pretty true. I want to provide great information. Every other dealer does the same things...I need to stand out.

Unfortunately, my web design is limited to our third party application which for the RV industry is actually pretty good. UVS Junction does great, but they are limited in a couple of areas.

Thanks for the input!
I commend you for starting this thread as this is probably the best method (RV Forums) for ideas that you can use to create an effective website that will capture most RV'ers eyes.
Best of luck with your final product!

Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
I commend you for starting this thread as this is probably the best method (RV Forums) for ideas that you can use to create an effective website that will capture most RV'ers eyes.
Best of luck with your final product!

Yes, I'm finding that this forum is still very active with the RV community. Way more active than Google + or Facebook.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #31

If you want to stand out as a dealer include your SERVICE POLICY and turn around time

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #32

I start my purchases online as well, the Internet is great to inform prior to making the rounds in person. In agreement with the suggestions provided thus far. I will look for end users testimonials, what others think of the item and their purchasing experience with the store/dealer.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #33

I would not be offended others might but if I was selling
for a dealer i would get personal with people with the equipment that they list on their profile. For example if you looked i have a 2011 FR Berkshire MH. everyone wants to upgrade people in tents ant a popup people in a popup want a trailer ect....I would send a message to them with about what their rig is worth and pick out something a step or to up from what they have and show them how you can get them into it. Don't try it on me though cause I'm broke.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #34
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
to view.

Good luck.
I agree with this post.

If I were you, I would think about my own personal shopping expiriences. It could be anything like perhaps a new television.
What sites I went to and which ones worked better than others.
Simply put, I will return to a site that ADDS VALUE to my shopping expirience.
Most sites are attempting to manipulate the consumer in one way or another. Posting the starting point of your price (you can reference the MSRP as well) would be a must for me. I WILL NOT call for the price, ever! Trying to keep me on your site is a manipulation.
Making me call for the price and working to keep me on your site best serves your adgenda, not mine. Linking me to additional, helpful information adds value for the consumer and makes your site stand out.

Pictures are king when I'm shopping on the internet. Give me actual pictures and the floor plan is a must.

Specs, as mentioned earlier are also a must. At the point where I see a unit advertised on your site and I may be interested in that unit, I need all the information that will actually have an effect on that purchase. Again, value to the consumer.

Both the sites mentioned above were contenders for my last purchase and I did purchase from Cheyenne.

Very important that you notify the consumer of what is an "in stock" unit vs. one that needs to be ordered.

I'll stop now

Bottom line, make sure that your customer (in this case, the shopper) comes away from their expirience on your web site feeling like they got all the information they needed. Those are the ones that will call you

As said before, kudos to you for asking the question
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #35

I agree with esness I did a lot of internet research .Then went the RV show in Chicago with a list of the trailers I wanted to see and dealers which gave the information I wanted.
2013 so far 48 days
geodavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
for a dealer i would get personal with people with the equipment that they list on their profile. For example if you looked i have a 2011 FR Berkshire MH. everyone wants to upgrade people in tents ant a popup people in a popup want a trailer ect....I would send a message to them with about what their rig is worth and pick out something a step or to up from what they have and show them how you can get them into it. Don't try it on me though cause I'm broke.
I applaud your entrepreneurial spirit, Phil

BUT, our user base is not a resource to be "mined".

(Just a gentle reminder - Not that the OP, or any other commercial member, would even think of doing that).

The current request for feedback regarding a preferred web experience is an excellent discussion and is fine, of course.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #37

FR dealers

Make better unitsback your product & warranties. answer customers when they call the factory. I could go on, but I wont.
martin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I want to see prices, the actual price you are asking not the inflated msrp. I want to see a picture of the floor plan and pictures of interior and exterior. This gives me a good idea of what I'm looking at. Post real dry weights fom the yellow weight sticker on the trailer door not the arbitrary dry weight the factory has on the website. A listing of gvwr, cargo capacity, tank sizes etc is helpful but also available at the manufacturers website. A link on your home page or on a links page to the manufacturers you sell is helpful. One dealership whose webpage I visit often even has a picture of each of the managers specials for that month on he home page. They are also listing the upcoming shows they will be at. Here is there link: Country Roads RV Center - Discount North Carolina RV Dealer for Blue Ridge, Puma, Sabre, Surveyor, Sandpiper, r-pod, Coachmen Brookstone, Palomino, Wholesale Pricing, Winston-Salem NC. I really like how their website is laid out.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #39
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Don't do this. It'll turn people off.

And the statement that everyone is looking to upgrade is balogna!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #40

So whatever delete the post. I figured that would get someone in a wad as i hit the send button. I can't delete it myself or I would. I still stand by the fact that most folks upgrade several times in they're camping life. It wouldn't bother me to get personal with my info to sell me something but it may others so like i said delete the post.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customer service, website