Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Commercial Member

RV Questions for Blog

As some of you may know, I work for a RV dealership. I'm wanting to start a blog on our website and I need your help! My goal is to help answer common questions (and not so common) that people have about RVing.

These questions could be about lifestyle, mechanical, sales, or anything!

I'd like to ask you guys what questions you would ask? I need to come up with a big list of questions so I can answer them in blog form.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks in advance for your time and input!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #2

What trailer can my tow vehicle safely tow.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Thanks @pwrstoke2012. That is a great questions!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Always Learning

I think the basis "RV101" and "How To" types of questions are paramount and, in fact what I've tried tackling in my blog:
Learn To RV
  • What Can I Tow?
  • How do I hitch up - fifth wheels and bumper pulls?
  • How do I adjust a WDH hitch?
  • I have a short bed and want to tow a fifth wheel... what now? (aka- How do sliders work? Or the Reese Revolution?
  • How do I level my camper?
  • Steps to setting up at a campsite
  • How do I winterize?
  • How do I de-winterize?
  • How do I dump tanks?
  • Common mods...

(Sigh, this sounds rude but isn't meant to be..) The list is easy to come up with *if* you're a RV'er yourself. Just think of the things that you needed to learn to get where you are. If you have friends who are just getting into RV'ing, think of the things you need to tell them as they get started (my sister and my in-laws are my examples more often than not).
Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Commercial Member

@ependydad Lol, actually, I'm not an RVer...that's why I need the "experts" input. I'm the "Internet Guy" at the RV dealership, so while I know a basic knowledge of them, I don't know them at intimately as people on this forum would.

Thanks for your input!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Always Learning

And, I might suggest you talk to your customers. Find out the tips of things that matter to them.

You get input plus you get bonus points for listening and responding.

Otherwise, you could partner with a blogger- link to their blog and just point people in that direction. If you do that, you could likely ask the blogger to blog about specific things (i.e. the things your customers want to know).
Old 07-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #7

discuss routine maintenance that is required for the different types of units and the products that are available to help- great way to reference back to products in the shop store.

2013 Ford F150 Super-Crew
2014 Heritage Glen 312qbud
jjm901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Yeah, I have done some partnering with some bloggers in the past with different subjects. I will probably be looking to get people to write on these topics for me. Hopefully people who are more knowledgeable than me!

There are actually two things I want to accomplish.

1. Provide knowledgeable and useful information to my visitors.
2. Improve my SEO rankings (part of my job)

Thanks for all the input! I'll accept any question, no matter how unusual or weird it might be.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjesparza1988 View Post
I will probably be looking to get people to write on these topics for me. Hopefully people who are more knowledgeable than me!
(grin) I was wondering how you were gonna write these!

Anyway, sounds like good stuff.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Yes, they call me the "Internet Guy"...not the "RV Professional"
Old 07-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #11

Brandon, I believe if you just scroll through all the threads on this site you will come up with a good list of questions just by reading. When I bought my first trailer it was nice the dealer going over all the "features" of the trailer, but none of them went over the safety part of it. For example:

1. What do I do and what do I need if I get a flat on my trailer while traveling.
2. Detectors in the trailer, is it a multi detector, is there more than one and what are they detecting. I know manuals show this, and we should read them, but not all do.
3. Proper tire pressures and max speed you should go on trailer tires or better yet and how often to check pressure, what is the safe maximum speed of a trailer not matter what size tire, trailer or vehicle you have. How often do I need to change my tires. Options like tire pressure monitoring systems.
4. Hazards to watch for: height of trailer and overhead obstacles, needed extra turning space, having a spotter when backing, adding extra stopping distance between you and the vehicle ahead, making sure hitch is properly attached on the ball and coupler LOCKED, not just pinned and check your hitch after every rest stop.
5. Like I mentioned above, what can my vehicle safely tow AFTER I have everything loaded into tow vehicle and trailer. (kids, dogs, wood, food, camping stuff, tools etc.)
6. Proper sway control and weight distribution options. Pros and cons of each product.

These my be some more related to 5th wheels but I have only had TT's. I may come up with more after another cup of coffee but this should keep you busy. You are onto a good thing, thank you.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

A blog like what you want has tons of topics to choose from. Just look at the sheer number of threads on this site.

I would try to ID those topics that seem to tie in with the strongest emotions and mix those with the technical. Some of them don't have short answers and your writers need to walk through a process.

Examples:
I'm looking for my first RV, help me pick a floor plan.
Which RV company is best?
Can I tow this? I want XYZ trailer but am worried about my vehicle.
What do I need to inspect when I pick up my trailer?
What is "boondocking" and what do I need?

Technical:
How do I actually dump my waster water?
How and when do I use a multimeter? Why do I need one?
How big should my battery be?
What is the difference between deep-cycle, marine and car batteries?
How to change a flat on my camper?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #13

How about getting some 1st hand experience free from your dealership? They should have some used travel trailers, maybe even a motorhome on the lot that needs to be sold. Take one out for a weekend with a for sale sign in it with the dealers name & have some camping fun. It is a win win situation for all.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
@ependydad Lol, actually, I'm not an RVer...that's why I need the "experts" input. I'm the "Internet Guy" at the RV dealership, so while I know a basic knowledge of them, I don't know them at intimately as people on this forum would.

Thanks for your input!
Ask your backshop to give you their "A GAME" PDI (not the one they usually give). Tape or take great notes.

It should cover use and maintenance of EVERYTHING on the camper from hitch to bumper and roof to tires. If it does not; find a new dealer; cause yours is the one we all complain about.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Ask your backshop to give you their "A GAME" PDI (not the one they usually give). Tape or take great notes.

It should cover use and maintenance of EVERYTHING on the camper from hitch to bumper and roof to tires. If it does not; find a new dealer; cause yours is the one we all complain about.

Lol! Yes, we actually are going to do something like this. In the future we are planning on video tapping a walk through on the main components of an RV, put on a DVD to hand out to our new customers.

Thanks for the input
Old 07-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
How about getting some 1st hand experience free from your dealership? They should have some used travel trailers, maybe even a motorhome on the lot that needs to be sold. Take one out for a weekend with a for sale sign in it with the dealers name & have some camping fun. It is a win win situation for all.

Now this idea...I like. I"ll keep it in mind.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
A blog like what you want has tons of topics to choose from. Just look at the sheer number of threads on this site.

I would try to ID those topics that seem to tie in with the strongest emotions and mix those with the technical. Some of them don't have short answers and your writers need to walk through a process.

Examples:
I'm looking for my first RV, help me pick a floor plan.
Which RV company is best?
Can I tow this? I want XYZ trailer but am worried about my vehicle.
What do I need to inspect when I pick up my trailer?
What is "boondocking" and what do I need?

Technical:
How do I actually dump my waster water?
How and when do I use a multimeter? Why do I need one?
How big should my battery be?
What is the difference between deep-cycle, marine and car batteries?
How to change a flat on my camper?

This is a great list to start out with! I have maybe 15-20 topics to start out with. I just need to organize them and find some good writers now! I think I can write a couple of them with help from my sales guys (some of them know quite a bit).
Old 07-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #18
Commercial Member

I actually have an idea! Let me know what you guys think of it. Now, I don't want to fill the forum with unnecessary or duplicate information, but here is my idea.

I'm thinking about writing on these topics. In order to do that, I obviously am going to need to learn some things. And I figure what better way than right here.

So I could create a Thread on each topic (in the appropriate section) and the community could respond. Out of these answers, I can answer these questions in blog format.

For the questions where the community feels the answer is already answered elsewhere on the forum, you could just direct me in the right direction.

This could end up being a resource not only for me, but future users. It would kind of be like a "RV User Manual" created by the Forest River Forum.

Just a thought.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

It is such a great idea we already thought of it!

Check out the FAQ Forum (Read Only) and the Tech Support Forum (indexed by system) and the "Library" where we keep PDFs of the appliances.

Herk

Quote:
I actually have an idea! Let me know what you guys think of it. Now, I don't want to fill the forum with unnecessary or duplicate information, but here is my idea.

I'm thinking about writing on these topics. In order to do that, I obviously am going to need to learn some things. And I figure what better way than right here.

So I could create a Thread on each topic (in the appropriate section) and the community could respond. Out of these answers, I can answer these questions in blog format.

For the questions where the community feels the answer is already answered elsewhere on the forum, you could just direct me in the right direction.

This could end up being a resource not only for me, but future users. It would kind of be like a "RV User Manual" created by the Forest River Forum.

Just a thought.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
It is such a great idea we already thought of it!

Check out the FAQ Forum (Read Only) and the Tech Support Forum (indexed by system) and the "Library" where we keep PDFs of the appliances.

Herk
LOL....of course there is.