Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
Site Team - Lou

RV Safetynet Post

I saw the below on an RV Safety net and thought it might be of interest to Sigsbee RV Travelers.... Note the comment about an RV with a trailer that had commercial signage on it being stopped by police after it passed up a truck weight station... the owner was forced to pay a fine.

Reid Gantt

"New Highway bill exempts RV from Axle Regulation".

Back in 2012 many read the article about the new exemption for RV's, but we warned to keep in mind there were other facets to this.
Recent changes to the "Federal Highway Bill" signed into law affects the maximum allowable weight (load) on a single drive axle for federally funded highways.

The new ruling allows RV's with a weight (actual load) of up to 24,000 pounds on a single drive axle to operate on federally funded highways and "reasonable access roads" to federally funded highways as long as this weight does not exceed the axle rating on the RV.
This does not supersede any "Road Use Laws" enacted by individual states limiting axle or gross weight allowed on other roads and bridges. Axle ratings must be adhered to as a matter of legal operation of any motor vehicle or towed unit. This law gets very convoluted if you as an RVer are perceived as being commercial.

Over the years we have had calls from RV owners about being stopped in different states for being presumed commercial, I would like to clear something up for most RV owners. If you have your RV register in a company name this can be looked on as being commercial, if you use your RV for commerce and have signage on it, it to can be construed as commercial and at that point your RV no longer falls under this bills exemption because you are no longer considered recreational but commercial and must abide by those rules. A gentleman contacted me recently who had a motorhome pulling a trailer (signage on trailer for a racing team), he went past a weigh station and was immediately pulled over and taken back to the weigh station. Upon weighing him the state found he was running 22000 on is rear axle. Upon further investigation of the officer he found the gentleman had a CDL, the RV was registered to his LLC, he was considered commercial and therefor was force to pay the fine for the overloaded RV (as commercial he did not have the exemption to 24,000) however, in his case it would not have applied to him if he was not considered commercial because he only had a 20,000 rated axle to start with and he weighed 22,000. The question remains, would he have been stopped in the first place if they did not perceive him as commercial as he drove down the highway?

Currently the RV Industry Association (RVIA) is working to obtain individual state clarification on interpretation of "reasonable access" as well as changes in state road use laws pertaining to this ruling.

Now this is an excellent question for motor homes that tow trailers with "RV service/repair" signage and company owned pickups used to tow campers while on vacation...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Camper Less Camping

Thanks for the info...

Old 02-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #3

i always pondered this, as BOTH my truck AND my trailer were purchased under one of my business entities. I opted to not use the LLC and used one that was a sole prop. I do not run any sinage or representation on either, but the truck does have liscense plates of the business name. I have yet to EVER be stopped while towing. i occasionally tow over the gvwr so i guess its just a risk ill have to take and deal with if i get pulled over...is what it is..i wonder what the fine is....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
A Musing

I haven't heard of RV safetynet rule before ... being a motorhome enthusiast, this is very useful and thank you for sharing this wonderful information.
amusingcaravan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety