Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #1

Solitude 5th Wheel

I was at the Milwaukee Rv show last weekend and saw a new entry in the 5th wheel market, I believe it was 36 feet long, very nice finish and a load of amenities such as a 4 door fridge, 42 and. 32 inch flat screens, 6 way levelers. Show price was 58K. Thought it was a decent price for what you got. Salesman from Burlington Rv said their is a 7 week build time at the moment. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this and what your thoughts are. To be honest, I'm kinda leaning towards this as a possible replacement for our aging '96 TT.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Commercial Member

The Solitude is the offering from a new RV company called Grand Design.

The owners of the company are the guys that started Keystone RV.

We have 2 Solitudes on our lot, and they are pretty nice. Nice features, thought out floorplans, etc. I do like the pantry in the kitchen.

Couple things I personally don't like....mixed cabinetry (light, dark, and black) I don't care for vessel sinks, and I don't like Schwintek slides. One thing that confuses me is why they have the theater seating and a reclining sofa, but no option for a sleeper sofa.

They are also pretty heavy, I just hauled one to our local RV Show, and they do have some weight to them for being empty.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Wildcat View Post
The Solitude is the offering from a new RV company called Grand Design.

The owners of the company are the guys that started Keystone RV.

We have 2 Solitudes on our lot, and they are pretty nice. Nice features, thought out floorplans, etc. I do like the pantry in the kitchen.

Couple things I personally don't like....mixed cabinetry (light, dark, and black) I don't care for vessel sinks, and I don't like Schwintek slides. One thing that confuses me is why they have the theater seating and a reclining sofa, but no option for a sleeper sofa.

They are also pretty heavy, I just hauled one to our local RV Show, and they do have some weight to them for being empty.
I don't remember the light and dark cabinets, I looked at so many they all start to run together. I think the weight was 11K + I remember right. Are Schwintek slides no good or something? Kinda surprised about no sofa too. I guess it's an air mattress for guests in the living room.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Commercial Member

We've been having issues with the Schwintek slides......

There is an electronic control box mounted somewhere (everyone is different) that controls the 2 motors for the slide. If they get out of sync, they don't work.

Just a PIA in most cases.

I don't care for the black trim and darker panels they use in the kitchen/island.

(Tweaked!!)
Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #5

The Solitude doesn’t offer anything really new. There are things about the 369RL that I really don’t like at all. The black trim on the center island and I really don’t like the panty. The panty with the painted lettering on opaque glass or plastic just doesn’t seem to fit in with the rest of the décor. The model I saw also had that black trim on the bathroom linen closet. Two things which others would probably consider minor would be deal breakers for me. The heavy stove cover and the stupid vessel sink would make me walk away. For the same money I like the Columbus 365RL better. But the Columbus would make me walk too because of the stove cover. I guess I don’t know class when I see it.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
RVWholesalers Representative

From everything I have been told the Solitude was a knock off of the Columbus. Columbus has been very popular since its debut a little over a year ago. I was hoping to see something new come into the market, like the Columbus was, not simply a knock off of something that already exists. I have always wondered why manufacturing companies think a knock off will do better then the original? If I am buying, why not buy the original?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
For the same money I like the Columbus 365RL better. But the Columbus would make me walk too because of the stove cover.
The stove cover was one of the selling points for us...

After having the generic flip up metal one for years, it is a pain the rear. It doesn't offer a level countertop, and the baked enamal finish comes off.

It's a no-brainer to have the flush covers, for us....
(Tweaked!!)
Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #8

I’m sure the stove cover is a big selling point for many folks looking for a new unit, they do look great. My wife is just 5 feet tall and has trouble getting leverage on the heavy covers to lift it off the stove top. If DW ain’t happy…

I guess DW and I like units that others don’t. Our first fifth wheel had a floorplan that was discontinued after just a couple of years. Now CC has discontinued making our current floorplan. I’m glad we bought our Silverback 29RL when we did because it fits us perfectly.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Trailer Trash

There are a couple more knockoffs of the Columbus models. Model numbers are even the same or slightly different. Price are a higher than Columbus however.

Check out the model 320RS Bayhill by Evergreen. Direct copycat layout of a Columbus 320RS. 320RS - Evergreen Recreational Vehicles, LLC. - Manufacturer of Green eco-friendly Everlite RVs

3200RS (oooh, they added a zero to model # - how creative) Gateway by Heartland.
< Heartland Luxury Fifth Wheels | Heartland RVs
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
RVWholesalers Representative

joelek, one thing the RV Industry is great at is copying! You are correct about your observations, Columbus came out of the gate so strongly that everyone is after them now! Going anywhere for springbreak?
Old 03-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Trailer Trash

No spring break for me. My colombus is in a permanent location like how a park model would be used. My version of a lake home.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #12

Saw one at Timonium a few weeks back and at first thought WOW, but that did not last very long. Did not care for the black trim that much, I hate a vessel sink in any brand, and the drawers in the bedroom were so sloppy, I as a rep would have been embarrassed in the quality of the unit to be at a show. Plus the rear of the unit did not have a nice molded back cap like others in the price range and also a old style 4 inch bumper. Had high hopes but not what I excpected.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Someone must like them....

We sold 3 yesterday at the Philadelphia RV Show.
(Tweaked!!)
Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #14

Quote:

To each his own of course. I'm sure they will be happy with their purchase. Brings to mind an old saying though, "You won't miss what you never had." What are they missing? FROG of course, they won't be eligible to join.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #15

Quote:

Yes and that's what makes the world go round what one person does not
like someone else will.
I was waiting to see what line your dealership might pick up after Carrige went under to fit the high end 5th wheel I hope this was not their choice, anyway glad to hear they sell well for you just not what I am looking for.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Yes and that's what makes the world go round what one person does not
like someone else will.
I was waiting to see what line your dealership might pick up after Carrige went under to fit the high end 5th wheel I hope this was not their choice, anyway glad to hear they sell well for you just not what I am looking for.
No "high end" fifth wheel line right now for us.

We looked at the Lifestyles, but the prices are way high.....higher than the Carriages were, and they are essentially the same trailer.

Nothing really out there worth having as a high end unit right now.

We'll plug along with Alpine, Columbus, and Solitude....
(Tweaked!!)
Old 03-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #17

Saw the Solitude at Burlingtons' Open House today. Didn't impress me that much. I'm not a fan of vessel sinks and the black in the kitchen didn't do anything for me. But that's just me. I'm sure some wouldn't like our choice in a 5er.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #18

Quote:
No "high end" fifth wheel line right now for us.

We looked at the Lifestyles, but the prices are way high.....higher than the Carriages were, and they are essentially the same trailer.

Nothing really out there worth having as a high end unit right now.

We'll plug along with Alpine, Columbus, and Solitude....
Ok will just keep watching to see if you do pick something up, I was very interested in Carrige so watching the Lifestyles to see how they do. Hope you have a busy summer.