Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #161

I am glad that BC monitors this site. But, like Katanapilot said, it's more than an inconvenience for most of us. It does ruin trips. More than that, the poor quality issue robs us of leisure time that we work hard for... and that we'll never get back. I'd have to say that in the first two years of ownership of my TT, I spent about half the time fixing things as I spent using the trailer. That's unacceptable. The last two years, however, have been much better, and I've not spent nearly so much time on repairs. I'll be selling it next week and most likely will not be a return FR customer, but nothing's set in stone. FR has some units we like but we are fixated on a trailer we've been looking at for these last two years. I'm feeling a bit of trepidation with this trade because I know I'm starting over... and... Well it's a good thing I'm handy. And, no I'm not naive enough to think that FR is a bad brand and what I'm getting is SOOOO much better... It's another TT, made with the same materials, with the same appliances, etc...

With that I wish you all well, and I'll be back to look around the FROG site occasionally, but not nearly as often. Thanks for all the helpful posts and comments! See you on the road............
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #162

Part 8 - RV media falls asleep

RV Industry Death Spiral – Part 8: RV media falls asleep | RV Daily Report

And there you have it.

You can either take from it or pay up your club dues and

Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post

And there you have it.

Ok, I submit, I drive the POS cited and pull a FR product. I hope that everyone keeps contributing to helping poor souls that need assistance. This is my lot in life.

My tale of woe:
I just traded my 2014 for a 2016 and added an extra 15K+ onto my note because my under warranty 2014 was "in my mind" (defensive legal speak) displaying quirky electrical issues that would be on my dime within 6K.

The troubles I had trying to get my 42K truck right pales in comparison to what members pay for their troubles. Me, I just went back to my mfg of choice and bought another. I am not rich, but watch out for how I use my dollars.

I like Ford trucks. I will keep buying them. In my case, I also like the FR that I have.

Club dues???
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post

And there you have it.

That noise they think music kept me from being able to watch. Darn....
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #165

I am on no ones glee club nor care for that. As far as the death spiral I see no changes from 1988 to now. Our Terry had many issues and dealing with dealers I see it actually going the other way.........many more campers out there since 1988....... We had a 1973 Terry before the 1988..........

All my comments are based on our experience we bought a lower end camper (Forest River Puma)and a used truck as that is what we can afford. No bells & whistles. Our dealer has been great. In talking to the tech our make had the fewest problems of any that they sold. (They sell other than Forest River Products as well). We have had no problems since we owned it other than a couple cosmetic things. Which were taken care of.

We want a camper not a rolling home with a fireplace & huge TV. We don't care about those things. If RVs went up greatly in price either it would price us out of camping or put us in the older used market.

We are currently in a huge campground nearly all the sites are full They are now considered small sites as when the opened a 30 foot camper was huge and rare. But people flock in and the 800 plus sites booked through the summer.........................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #166

I never made it past the first 6 paragraphs where he said "I had no experience but I was editor of the biggest RV magazine" and "Magazines have to be public relations vehicles, unlike newspapers".

Never got past that, sorry.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:40 AM   #167

You should read the rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I never made it past the first 6 paragraphs where he said "I had no experience but I was editor of the biggest RV magazine" and "Magazines have to be public relations vehicles, unlike newspapers".

If you had continued to read you would find out that he gained experience from years of being an editor. Further, he joined the ranks of RV'ers and that's when he discovered the issues and problems with the RV experience that some of us have also experienced.

If you chose to discount his opinion based on the first few paragraphs then you missed much of what he had to say. I don't agree with everything he said, but my limited experience Rv'ing has been very similar to his articles as it pertains to build quality, warranty issues, dealer service, etc. Overall, my campground experience has been generally good.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #168

OK, thanks. I did go back and read the rest.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

When I bought my Coleman pup in 1987, I had zero experience. Everyone of us started there, no exceptions.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #170

Talking

This thread may be poison depending on your perspective. It sure has strayed from the blog articles. Like mom said if you can't contribute, don't.

I will go back to my main thought. I hope that everyone keeps contributing to helping those that need assistance.

All of the other stuff I want to say in this vein is muted as it does not help anyone.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #171

Nobody on this website is more of a Newbie and inexperienced than I am. If my opinions gave any indication other than that, then I sincerely apologize.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #172

Send a message via AIM to B and B
More good insights. Maybe time to close the thread on a high note.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:10 AM   #173

I am on my 4th travel trailer, not because of problems but because of upgrading. They each have had their problems but I have been fortunate to have a very good dealership that takes care of me and goes to bat for me with the manufacturer. This is where you need to spend your time and research. You can buy your trailer from numerous dealers but finding the one that is going to be there when you need them is important. Buying from a dealer 150 miles away to save a couple hundred dollars may not be worth in in the long run.
6.7 TD Super Crew
"Go Navy"
logspec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by logspec1 View Post
I am on my 4th travel trailer, not because of problems but because of upgrading. They each have had their problems but I have been fortunate to have a very good dealership that takes care of me and goes to bat for me with the manufacturer. This is where you need to spend your time and research. You can buy your trailer from numerous dealers but finding the one that is going to be there when you need them is important. Buying from a dealer 150 miles away to save a couple hundred dollars may not be worth in in the long run.
Or a good independent service shop, that values warranty work. We have one that doesn't sell RV's, that is better than anyone in the state. They take appointments and finish the work on time. That gives us the luxury of buying from anywhere to save thousands, not hundreds.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:33 AM   #175

Columbia is not that far. How about letting us know who???
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:43 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Columbia is not that far. How about letting us know who???

Tony's RV. Had a Columbus twice serviced and Winnebago (HWH Hydraulic Jack) replaced there. They are factory authorized for most of the components for warranty work as well as the RV manufacturers.

http://www.tonysrv.com/
Old 07-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #177

These guys are so good, when I took in my rig with the jack leak issue, it was already more than 1 year out of warranty. The tech. said that shouldn’t have happened and it should be under warranty…had my doubts, but much to my surprise, they got it covered completely…paid nothing, and they took care of everything with HWH.

That is the way it SHOULD work.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by logspec1 View Post
Seems people travel to further dealerships to save thousands not hundreds
I brought mine from a dealer 1300 miles away , why because of the huge savings and the fact i was visiting my folks a few hundred miles from this dealer . as far as warranty goes All i've needed to do for the few warranty items i've had was call the dealer and they had the parts to me .i prefer to install myself then i know it's done right . if you can't do the work then your at the mercy of the dealer
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
More good insights. Maybe time to close the thread on a high note.
I have to ask. Why are you so insistent on closing this thread?
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
I have to ask. Why are you so insistent on closing this thread?

X2 . seems a good discussion going on with lots of info for new buyers .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, service