Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #1

Travel trailer recall

Forest River, Inc. (Forest River) is recalling certain 2018-2020 Cascade and Cherokee travel trailers. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle exceeds the GVWR of the trailer hitch coupler, potentially resulting in the coupler failing and the trailer detaching. A trailer that detaches from the tow vehicle can increase the risk of a crash. The remedy for this recall is still under development. The recall is expected to begin January 11, 2020. Owners may contact Forest River customer service at 1-260-499-2100 or 1-541-995-3447.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Forest River, Inc. (Forest River) is recalling certain 2018-2020 Cascade and Cherokee travel trailers. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle exceeds the GVWR of the trailer hitch coupler, potentially resulting in the coupler failing and the trailer detaching. A trailer that detaches from the tow vehicle can increase the risk of a crash. The remedy for this recall is still under development. The recall is expected to begin January 11, 2020. Owners may contact Forest River customer service at 1-260-499-2100 or 1-541-995-3447.
We need "lemon laws" for the RV industry.
Larry Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:30 AM   #3

Hi

I'm the person who discovered this overweight problem back in Sept 2019, It was on a 2020 Oregon built Wolf Pup 18TO. I discovered that the 2020 model has a GWVR of 5625 and my 2019 Indiana built model GWVR of 4999. Upon investigating, I found that the two models had the same capacity tires, the same part numbers for frame, the same axle capacity of 5100 pounds and the same capacity of A frame coupler (5000 pound GVWR limit), so the 2020 Oregon 18TO was 625 pounds over gross weight. This I communicated to Forest River who soon stopped talking to me.

After being blown off by FR, I then contacted the NHTSA who then investigated and found the problem was a lot bigger than my model - some 328 units in all over several model lines.

The NHTSA notice indicated FR was considering a derate, so you owners may lose a lot of CCC. 625 pounds for 18TO owners!

I've written a letter to FR corporate compliance suggesting they replace the 5000 pound a frame coupler with an 7-8000 pound model, but it remains to be seen if this will have any effect. If FR continues to blow me off, I will go above them.

The real problem is lack of engineering support in the Cherokee division plant in Indiana. they only had one engineer who tries to keep up with all the changes but can't- there's too many model lines. When they initiated production in Oregon, they sent an incomplete set of drawings (no structural analysis, no electrical interconnection, no water interconnection and no wiring routing drawings - I got all of what they had when I visited the WOlf Pup factory last May and got a tour. So that's how it happened. Its no wonder they have a lot of recalls.

Maybe all of you who are affected may have more chance of getting their attention than I did.

ALl the best - Jim Christo
jchristo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristo13 View Post
Hi

I'm the person who discovered this overweight problem back in Sept 2019, It was on a 2020 Oregon built Wolf Pup 18TO. I discovered that the 2020 model has a GWVR of 5625 and my 2019 Indiana built model GWVR of 4999. Upon investigating, I found that the two models had the same capacity tires, the same part numbers for frame, the same axle capacity of 5100 pounds and the same capacity of A frame coupler (5000 pound GVWR limit), so the 2020 Oregon 18TO was 625 pounds over gross weight. This I communicated to Forest River who soon stopped talking to me.

After being blown off by FR, I then contacted the NHTSA who then investigated and found the problem was a lot bigger than my model - some 328 units in all over several model lines.

The NHTSA notice indicated FR was considering a derate, so you owners may lose a lot of CCC. 625 pounds for 18TO owners!

I've written a letter to FR corporate compliance suggesting they replace the 5000 pound a frame coupler with an 7-8000 pound model, but it remains to be seen if this will have any effect. If FR continues to blow me off, I will go above them.

The real problem is lack of engineering support in the Cherokee division plant in Indiana. they only had one engineer who tries to keep up with all the changes but can't- there's too many model lines. When they initiated production in Oregon, they sent an incomplete set of drawings (no structural analysis, no electrical interconnection, no water interconnection and no wiring routing drawings - I got all of what they had when I visited the WOlf Pup factory last May and got a tour. So that's how it happened. Its no wonder they have a lot of recalls.

Maybe all of you who are affected may have more chance of getting their attention than I did.

ALl the best - Jim Christo
would this be for all of the wolf pup line? We have a 2018 Wolfpup 17RP Toyhauler. Are they supposed to be communicating with owners of the affected trailers?
OutlanderWolfPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:27 PM   #5

Wolf Pup 17RP recall answer

Outlander posted: would this be for all of the wolf pup line? We have a 2018 Wolfpup 17RP Toyhauler. Are they supposed to be communicating with owners of the affected trailers?

Answer: the 2018 WolfPup 17RP is on this recall list for Oregon built models only. Models built in Indiana are not on this recall's list. You’re listed in Michigan, so if you bought your RV in the midwest, chances are it is an Indiana built model, but this needs to be checked. If it is an Oregon built model, you should have received a recall notice back in January.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #6

Update to recall of Wolf Pups built in Oregon

Forest river has decided, according to recent posting on the NHTSA website, that they are authorizing a repair involving installing a 14000 pound capacity A frame coupler on recalled models. This is way more than needed for the Wolf Pup line, but I believe there a reason for it. The Oregon group may be standardizing on 14000 pound A frame couplers for all models built there as it would minimize paperwork and the costs of keeping track of different couplers. So, it makes sense if they as short on engineering staff as the Indiana plant is. It will be a larger ball size so owners should be aware of that.

The NHTSA recall notice number is 19V-844. Forest River refers to it as 64-1114.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Forest river has decided, according to recent posting on the NHTSA website, that they are authorizing a repair involving installing a 14000 pound capacity A frame coupler on recalled models. This is way more than needed for the Wolf Pup line, but I believe there a reason for it. The Oregon group may be standardizing on 14000 pound A frame couplers for all models built there as it would minimize paperwork and the costs of keeping track of different couplers. So, it makes sense if they as short on engineering staff as the Indiana plant is. It will be a larger ball size so owners should be aware of that.

The NHTSA recall notice number is 19V-844. Forest River refers to it as 64-1114.
The NHTSA site shows one Wolf Pup recall but won't allow me to see it. Entering my VIN, it won't accept that to search! The Forest River dealer recall list I found also does not list this recall. All I wanted to was read the damn thing.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Outlander posted: would this be for all of the wolf pup line? We have a 2018 Wolfpup 17RP Toyhauler. Are they supposed to be communicating with owners of the affected trailers?

Answer: the 2018 WolfPup 17RP is on this recall list for Oregon built models only. Models built in Indiana are not on this recall's list. You’re listed in Michigan, so if you bought your RV in the midwest, chances are it is an Indiana built model, but this needs to be checked. If it is an Oregon built model, you should have received a recall notice back in January.
that's good info to know! thank you
OutlanderWolfPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #9

I've a quick question, where would I find the coupler rating on the trailer? The only identification I've found so far is "CA 5400" stamped on the left top of the coupler body. Is this the weight rating or is it someplace else.
Thanks
Eddie2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall, trailer, travel, travel trailer