Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2024, 04:03 PM   #1

Wiring

Cant say im impressed with the quality of wire routing and chafing prevention. ����
clawsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:13 PM   #2

That’s because the RV industry has no comprehensive standards.
MGD1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD1961 View Post
That’s because the RV industry has no comprehensive standards.
Extremely poor excuse.
clawsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsonm View Post
Extremely poor excuse.
Is this your first RV? Because the RV Industry's poor quality reputation has been well known for decades. And it's only gotten worse since Covid started.
Even sacred brands, like Airstream and Winnebago, have gone downhill.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Extremely poor excuse.
Definitely a poor excuse but it's the one they're getting away with.

Unless you live in a state where there are enforced standards you get what they ship.

Here in WA state all RV's are required to have a state issued "sticker" that certifies the unit has complied with electrical and plumbing standards.

As for "fit and finish", only consumers can enforce them by refusing to purchase crappy units.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:07 PM   #6

Buy used

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
As for "fit and finish", only consumers can enforce them by refusing to purchase crappy units.
We're doing our part by only buying used.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:12 PM   #7

I thought they was on the improve... cause they offering more solar and battery options

but the wiring and connections in my 2 year old Salem sux.

PS I still won't use star washers !
Old 02-18-2024, 09:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Cant say im impressed with the quality of wire routing and chafing prevention. ����
Ture, Unfortunately nothing has changed in the past 40 years.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:39 PM   #9

TitanMike, Washington has some impressive standards for RV quality that would appear to be great on paper to obtain approval stamp from State. Has it worked? Good to see a positive effort.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by updhaul View Post
TitanMike, Washington has some impressive standards for RV quality that would appear to be great on paper to obtain approval stamp from State. Has it worked? Good to see a positive effort.
Based on the wiring/plumbing on my 2018 Microlite the reg's apparently have had an effect. Some wiring done seems stupid to me but was neither unsafe nor did it fail.

Just a PITA to deal with should it fail like hidden fuses and relays.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:46 AM   #11

Understand that what standards do exist are not enforced. Just as the ABYC standards in the marine industry there is no formal enforcement body. These are not enforceable codes that are written in to law like the building code or national electrical code. They are “best practices “ that don’t have to be followed. They are self enforced in the industry.

In the marine industry every time a yacht changes hands there is a valuation survey. If the boat is not up to standards it is either fixed or it doesn’t sell. Additionally if it’s not to standards they can’t get insurance either. This is what makes the standards work.

The RV industry just doesn’t do that. They build it. We buy it as is. Tough luck suckers. Although, there is a trend to have RVs professionally inspected by a certified inspector before you buy it be it new or used. I think this is a great idea. This would begin to hold the industry responsible for the crap they build and sell to the unsuspecting public.
MGD1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD1961 View Post
Understand that what standards do exist are not enforced. Just as the ABYC standards in the marine industry there is no formal enforcement body. These are not enforceable codes that are written in to law like the building code or national electrical code. They are “best practices “ that don’t have to be followed. They are self enforced in the industry.

In the marine industry every time a yacht changes hands there is a valuation survey. If the boat is not up to standards it is either fixed or it doesn’t sell. Additionally if it’s not to standards they can’t get insurance either. This is what makes the standards work.

The RV industry just doesn’t do that. They build it. We buy it as is. Tough luck suckers. Although, there is a trend to have RVs professionally inspected by a certified inspector before you buy it be it new or used. I think this is a great idea. This would begin to hold the industry responsible for the crap they build and sell to the unsuspecting public.

I've been in the marine industry and know about yacht surveys. Depending on size and value and the prospective buyer requirements, surveys may or may not be done. We have always had a survey done for every boat that we purchased and had it documented as well.

As to RVs, how does one address used RVs and the sale? I'd project, that if the used ones had to be brought up to any established "standards", likely prices would soar. As to new units, likewise. There are few highway safety standards that must be met with RVs, unlike cars and trucks.

Perhaps more like the home industry, there are residential inspectors who are supposed to evaluate conditions and identify issues and disclose same for the protection of the buyer. This is not a market determination of the property value. Then if the seller does not accept the conditions and compensates accordingly, the sale likely doesn't go through.

Personally, I'd prefer to leave it up to the buyer to determine the condition of any new or used RV. If the buyer is not or doesn't believe they arel qualified they then have the option of obtaining the services of a "certified inspector". Whatever that qualification of "certified" might be. The end result, the buyer is responsible for the condition of their purchase.

At the same time, with our RV and our residence, I believe I'm qualified to make any determination and can take any necessary remedial actions. Thus, in the end, the buyer is responsible and in no way would I go whining to the seller about this and that.

I do feel somewhat sorry for the RV buyer who is only qualified to pull out a gold credit card and expect things to be darn near perfect.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:19 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
And many (most) of us are not either.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring