Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #1

12 volt lights

hello, I am new to the forums and a new (used) 2006 shamrock.
Was tinkering with the idea of putting in a 12 volt charger for my stinger flashlight. We have only used the camper once, and always had hydro. I also noted that there wasn't any cigarette type plugs for which I thought I could use for this particular charger. My thinking was to tap one of the 12 volt lines to put in a small manifold cigarette lighters to charge car adapter items. After a closer look it seems that even though there are 12 volt lights throughout, there is not a switch and or option to operate them with the onboard battery. I can still tap into the 12 volt lights, for the charger (or just keep the plug for reg hydro), but was surprised to see that there was no lights available whilst on battery only. I just wanted to confirm that this battery, I guess would only be used for the emergency brake dissconnect while towing.
Not so much of a big deal as I can use a regular outlet and just purchase a dc converter for the light, but I was surprised to see that.
ransac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome. I'll take a stab at this, can't know for sure without a few more details. Somewhere you should have a converter, that recharges the battery and operates the 12 volt stuff while plugged in. Most have a brown slotted cover that will also provide access to the breakers and fuses. Mine had a empty fuse holder, so I added a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket and ran the wire to the empty fuse holder, and added a fuse of course. We use ours for an electric cooler.

If you inspect far enough, I think you will find that not only the lights, but also the furnace fan and water pump use 12 volt, and the refer and hot water water must have 12 volt to light. Should have several auto style (ATC) blade type fuses.

Good luck, and hope this helps.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #3

thanks

thanks for the quick reply. all is exactly as you described, (brown slotted cover, breakers on one side, auto type fuses on the other.
and my thinking was exactly like you said, I would have thought that when the camper was unplugged you would need the battery for such things as you described, but is there a seperate switch to enable lights? when mine is unplugged nothing works, (water pump etc) I assume the hot water tank still uses the 12 volt to ignite to gas when switched to that, but have not tried it.
sorry for being a little dumb with this, but I did not receive any manuals with my shamrock when i purchase it.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The lights, the fridge and hot water heater igniter, water pump and furnace should all work off of the battery when not plugged into electric. Start with a volt meter at the battery while not plugged into 110 volts, and see if you have power there. It is possible that you either have a disconnect switch or maybe a hidden circuit breaker if the battery checks out good.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #5

feel real dumb about this now.............I probably have a dead battery.........and would be willing to bet on it as the camper had not been used more than two years before i bought it. Will check that straight away, and get back to you with results...........thanks again for quick replys.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #6

checked battery

well after checking battery with meter......shows 11.8volts.

car and truck show 12.4+.

with trailer plugged in on battery level indicator shows full.

unplugged there is nothing on lights at all (would it not even show a dim light with a battery that is low?)

I cannot find any switches on or near breaker panel or battery. So am stumped again.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

11.8 volts should be plenty to work all of your 12 volt appliances.

On many trailers (including mine) there is a circuit breaker (or fuse) on the hot wire near the trailer tongue. I think most automatically reset, but it is possible that has not happened if you have such an item. If you have a covered bottom, you might have to pull that down some to find that puppy......I have to pull my bottom down to get to mine (am I allowed to say that?? ).

Check for voltage going into and coming out of that.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #8

hmm.......just checked and I dont see any fuse or circuit breaker......there is a small control box leading to cable for emergency brake activation (i believe) and there is an inline fuse to the electric jack.......its fine, and further back under the trailer there is a covered junction box (which i havent uncovered yet)
Old 09-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing that looks like post #2 in this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...html#post45395

You might have to pull the cover off of that junction box next, or pull the converter out to see if you have power going into the back of that. I don't think there is a master fuse for 12 volts on the power panel, but I can't remember.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #10

my shamrock is a 19' if anyone else has one or knows about this issue........any help appreciated.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #11

nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Nothing that looks like post #2 in this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...html#post45395

You might have to pull the cover off of that junction box next, or pull the converter out to see if you have power going into the back of that. I don't think there is a master fuse for 12 volts on the power panel, but I can't remember.
nothing that looks like that unless its in the junction box.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #12

am not too familiar with what is entailed with the emergency break away brakes........do they have a controller.......i assume thats what i am looking at as the cable goes directly to the chains.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #13

and have looked at the fuses and there are written descriptions on all of them.......no master fuse that i can see
Old 09-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

ransac, I just checked my power panel, and mine has 2 40 amp automotive type fuses. If your power panel is similar, I believe that I would pull those fuses to see if either are blown before pulling the converter out of its hiding place, or uncovering that junction box.

Hope others can chime in here if that doesn't work.....I am running out of ideas.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #15

i have two 30 amp and both are ok..............nothing else i can think of either...........
Old 09-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #16

My last unit was a Roo 26RS and I had a similar problem. I ran two 12 volt outlets from the power converter. We used them primarily to run our ACDC TV. If your unit is anything like our Roo (and I am sure it is) there will be at least 2 open circuits available at the bottom of the 12 volt fuse panel on the right side of the converter panel. You would just need to run an appropriate gauge wire and a ground wire to the outlets.
I also added a input connection in the TV shelf area that connected to the AUX in jacks of the sound system. We used it to provide better sound for the TV and also to allow us to plug in an IPOD for music.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

As for the "break away brakes", if the pin is pulled, the full 12 volts from the battery is supposed to lock the trailer brakes, there isn't any controller, either "on" or "off". If you found the fuse panel, there should be a large red wire feeding it from the battery. If you can't find 12 volts anywhere, (mine is near the top), then you have an "auto reset breaker" with corroded terminals, or one that failed to reset. Just need to chase the wiring, time consuming and frustrating, but you will be rewarded in the end.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #18

ty

thanks for your help.........will post when I have it solved, and will do what is suggested.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #19

well

after closer inspection near junction box I found the inline 12v breaker. It looked pretty ripe, and in fact fell apart after I took it apart. Went to local auto parts store, picked up another, and even before that I tried to short across the two terminals to see if the water pump came on (to test) and it didnt. So i figured it must be a ground problem. Replaced inline breaker, and still no 12v. Started to check the grounds and then got frustrated again and gave up.
Electriction friend stopped by, and took one glance at the battery and promply told me the terminal hook ups were reversed. Changed and all is well.
Thanks to all the quick replies to troubleshoot, and if I can help anyone in the future I will be sure to try.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #20
Villa Estate 392FLFB

oh my! they were backwards?!

Tags
12 volt, shamrock