Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2022, 07:50 PM   #1

2003 Rockwood Roo 19

Does anyone have any information regarding the dry weight or roof type of a 2003 Rockwood Roo 19? I’ve tried contacting forest river but they don’t have a manual for that old of a model available. I’m looking to reseal my roof so I’d like to know for sure which type it is. Thank you
TJRoo_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:08 PM   #2

The new Roo's have a vinyl/rubber roof and yours probably does also.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-20-2022, 08:38 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply Snowbird. Recently acquired this new to me trailer so I’m seeing what’s been neglected and needs attention. I’d agree, I got up and looked at the roof, it seems like a layer of free floating piece of rubber. It definitely needs replacing or resealing. With this type of roof, is it necessary to replace the one piece rubber roof material, or can I remove everything up there, clean and use a roll/paint on type ? Without seeing under the rubber I’m not certain if there’s any past water intrusion, although one area seemed a little warped when I press down on it.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoo_19 View Post
Does anyone have any information regarding the dry weight or roof type of a 2003 Rockwood Roo 19? I’ve tried contacting forest river but they don’t have a manual for that old of a model available. I’m looking to reseal my roof so I’d like to know for sure which type it is. Thank you
The Roo/Shamrock 19 model hasn't changed much over the years. The owner's manual has always been just a generic owners manual with no model-specific nor brand-specific information. Just basic RV systems information.

As far as specs, I only could go back to 2008:

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2008-...rplan-19-tr882

You're not going to find much documentation, for a 20 year old hybrid.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:36 PM   #5

Thanks Bikendan , I’ll take a look through that. I was just curious on the dry weight in regards to my half ton trucks ability to pull it. Seems pretty light, maybe 2600ish Dry. Watching a lot of utube videos on ways to reseal the roof. I want to make sure I use the proper product to bind correctly, from what I understand there are a few different rubber types of roof.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Bikendan , I’ll take a look through that. I was just curious on the dry weight in regards to my half ton trucks ability to pull it. Seems pretty light, maybe 2600ish Dry. Watching a lot of utube videos on ways to reseal the roof. I want to make sure I use the proper product to bind correctly, from what I understand there are a few different rubber types of roof.
The 2008 model had a fictional dry weight of 3503lbs.
There should be a white factory UVW weight sticker on the inside of a cabinet door.
Where did you get your 2600 number? I seriously doubt that that's an accurate number since that's almost 1000lbs lighter than the same trailer 5 years later.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:57 PM   #7

Quote:
It definitely needs replacing or resealing. With this type of roof, is it necessary to replace the one piece rubber roof material, or can I remove everything up there, clean and use a roll/paint on type ? Without seeing under the rubber I’m not certain if there’s any past water intrusion, although one area seemed a little warped when I press down on it.
You should probably try a rv rubber roof cleaner and resealer first. (available at rv dealers). Inspect the area that looks warped and see if there is evidence of seams not sealed. There is tape like Eternabond that you can put over a section that might be damaged and lap sealant for seams.
I'm no expert on rubber roofs, so you might want to look at some YouTube videos by RV101. Replacing an rv roof is pricey, but might be necessary depending on the maintenance done by previous owners. Well, and the fact that it's almost 20 years old.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:56 AM   #8

I got that number off of the Nadaguides site. No idea how reliable that information is.
Old 09-21-2022, 12:27 PM   #9

Yeah I figured a full replacement would cost an arm and a leg. I’m going to try the reseal and tape route. Being that it’s such an old trailer and all. There’s probably wood under that rubber roof I assume for sheathing? So as far as previous damage, just walking around I felt that one “bowed” area about 14 inches by 14 inches. Howeve. Everything else was solid when knocking on it and pressing firmly down. Honestly the previous owner looks like he used 27 tubes of caulking up there so it’s hard to see the seam where the rubber roof would meet up with the end piece of the trailer, he literally liberally caulked the entire seem where a piece of rubber trim would be…. So removing, scraping that caulk would probably do more damage to the rubber roof than good….. I wish I could see under to look for signs of water intrusion and rot, but I’m thinking if it’s still solid enough to stand on at least it’s not breaking apart and there’s no sign of water on the ceiling inside.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:25 PM   #10

Types of "rubber"

In that era, only two types of roof membranes were used, EPDM and TPO. They are pretty easy to distinguish.

From the inside of the trailer, remove the trim around any roof vent, skylight, or fan. Probably eight screws, either #2 Phillps or #2 Robertson (square). There's no weather seal or caulk involved--this is just trim.

You will see where the roof membrane hangs down. It it has a thin, white layer on the exterior and the rest is black (like an inner tube), the roof is EPDM. Get a roof coating suitable for EPDM. If it is solid color, it is likely to be TPO.

Regarding the one soft spot on your roof: It is not necessarily caused by a void in the membrane. The spots where awning brackets attach are notorious for admitting water which then wicks upward in to the roof decking. The same could also happen at a clearance light. If it's a small spot, I'd be tempted to ignore it.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:01 PM   #11

Thank you for all the information.

Tags
rockwood, rockwood roo, roo