Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2022, 04:37 PM   #1

2022 Roo 233S Mattress is like concrete!!!

I just purchased the 233S and tried to sleep on the mattress, as a trial run before going camping and I’m sure glad I did!! These are the standard mattresses for the pop up bunks and they are horrible!! I’ve been researching all day on what kind of mattress would fit and still allow the ends to close up. I’m co template an air mattress instead of traditional or memory foam. Any recommendations would be helpful. What’s worked for you? I did try a 2 inch topper on it and still not much improvement
Herblady09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:12 PM   #2
Site Team

You must be new to hybrids.
Hybrids can't have a typical mattress because the have to be folded, when closing the bunk door. No matter what you do, they won't feel like a traditional mattress.
We were fine with our old 2007 Roo 23SS, that just had a plain foam mattress. We put a topper on it and were fine. The DW is somewhat of a Princess and the Pea. But she was fine with it, for the 10 years that we had it.
Some replace it with an air mattress.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You must be new to hybrids.
Hybrids can't have a typical mattress because the have to be folded, when closing the bunk door. No matter what you do, they won't feel like a traditional mattress.
We were fine with our old 2007 Roo 23SS, that just had a plain foam mattress. We put a topper on it and were fine. The DW is somewhat of a Princess and the Pea. But she was fine with it, for the 10 years that we had it.
Some replace it with an air mattress.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
Yes I am new to hybrids and actually never owned a camper before. I am somewhat spoiled with my King size Kingsdown mattress, so when I laid on this piece of concrete, I ached all over. I’m pretty sure that I will just get an air mattress and use that for camping. It’s a shame that I bought a brand new camper and have to throw out the mattress that came with it!!
Old 10-02-2022, 06:36 PM   #4

Air mattress will be a pain to use and not that comfortable either. It will also be warm in the summer and cold in the winter. A mattress topper is the way to go and makes a world of difference and you’ll still be able to use your mattress heater when needed.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
Air mattress will be a pain to use and not that comfortable either. It will also be warm in the summer and cold in the winter. A mattress topper is the way to go and makes a world of difference and you’ll still be able to use your mattress heater when needed.
My concern is that I won’t be able to close the bunk ends if I use a topper. I did a trial run with a topper and it didn’t help the comfort level that much and I had to remove the topper in order to close the bunk. The topper I used wasn’t a queen short, so maybe that’s why it wouldn’t close. If I were to spring for a new mattress, would the bunk ends close, or does the mattress need to be a foldable type?
Old 10-03-2022, 08:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herblady09 View Post
My concern is that I won’t be able to close the bunk ends if I use a topper. I did a trial run with a topper and it didn’t help the comfort level that much and I had to remove the topper in order to close the bunk. The topper I used wasn’t a queen short, so maybe that’s why it wouldn’t close. If I were to spring for a new mattress, would the bunk ends close, or does the mattress need to be a foldable type?
The mattress has to be the foldable type or your bunks won't close.

As far as the topper, ours would not close with the topper on so when we closed up, we'd put down the dinette table, turn it into a bed and lay it on top.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:17 AM   #7

We got a mattress topper to use on the sadly uncomfortable sofa-bed (often don't deploy bunks for overnight travel stops, and found it works well for the bunks also. We too store it on the dinette for travel.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:26 AM   #8
Canadian Member

Like njfishing, we also got a topper and stored it on the dinette when closing up the Roo. Get yourself a good quality topper. 3” to 4” think.

BTW, mattresses in ALL RVs, even regular travel trailers and fifth wheelers, are usually crap and need either a topper or complete replacement to be comfortable. A traditional mattress won’t work with the fold down bunk doors in a hybrid so it’s cheaper to just add a good topper.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:03 AM   #9

I too thought the hybrid mattresses were junk when I first bought my trailer in 2014. I have three bunks on my 183 and I have outfitted all with 1 1/2 inch foam... cheap mattress foam not memory foam. The only foam topper I have to remove to close the bunk is the front bunk. I encased that piece of foam in a zip mattress liner and I roll it up, secure with a bungee cord and move it into the bathroom when leaving a site. That takes about 3 minutes.

I have had a number of friends to come along on trips and use the bunks and nobody has complained about the mattresses.

You will get used to the hybrid mattress... I love that it heats the bed from below on cooler nights.

I occasionally find myself sleeping on the middle hinge of the mattress, but I reposition slightly and that sensation geos away.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:30 AM   #10
Canadian Member

Herblady09, you should also consider buying some “Popup Gizmos” or solar blankets to cover the tent ends. They will insulate the area of the bunks to make them cooler in the summer heat and warmer with less condensation in cool weather. If you search for “Popup Gizmos” on this forum you should get lots of info on them.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:32 PM   #11

We added a 4 inch hybrid memory foam topper from Walmart, and couldn’t be happier. Granted, our 235S only has two bunks. We elected to add the topper to the “master“ bunk, and let the chips ride for the back “guest/kid“ bunk.

When traveling, the topper loosely folds in half and rides on top of the dinette.

Some discussion/details in the dedicated Roo subsection here:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...lp-251356.html

(Ignore the stuff about the replacement mattress…. That is solely a source for OEM mattress replacement).

I have to say, the topper is a gamechanger for us, and makes the bed in the trailer even more comfortable than our home bed.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 04:58 PM   #12

Toppers work

We use a 2" memory foam topper and have no issues at all with sleeping like babies while there.....

Then again, I was fine with the ROO mattress as having come from a self inflating ground pad and sleeping bag, it was Taj Mahal as well! ;-)

IMHO its just a matter of your personal preference, we have used TWO 2" toppers for a bit as a test (using the one from the spare bed) but found that as the GoldiLocks Wolf would say "just TOO soft" hahahaha

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:42 AM   #13

Thanks for all of the input!! I have decided to try a topper and see how that works. I ordered a 4 inch topper and I’ll let you know if that works! Thanks again

Tags
233, 233s, roo