Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2021, 04:20 PM   #1

another bike rack post

anyone have experience using a Bike Bunk or Swagman Stragler on a Roo? I'm guessing I'll have to do some mod to it to make putting the bed down not a pain. I'm done with putting the bikes on the rear bumper.
technicalspectical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicalspectical View Post
anyone have experience using a Bike Bunk or Swagman Stragler on a Roo? I'm guessing I'll have to do some mod to it to make putting the bed down not a pain. I'm done with putting the bikes on the rear bumper.
If I needed a rack mount system, I would pick either one of these. The Straddler is a recent choice. BB has been around quite a while.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #3

Check out the Let’s Go Aero Jack-It Bike Wing by Lippert Components. We got one and it’s the only trailer mounted bike rack we feel good about. It attaches easily to the trailer tongue and carries the bikes above your propane tanks and battery boxes.
SlyCamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCamperz View Post
Check out the Let’s Go Aero Jack-It Bike Wing by Lippert Components. We got one and it’s the only trailer mounted bike rack we feel good about. It attaches easily to the trailer tongue and carries the bikes above your propane tanks and battery boxes.
The advantage of the BB or Straddler is that you can use any standard 2" receiver bike rack on them or the rear of your vehicle.
The Jack-it doesn't allow for that. Plus they get the bikes up higher to clear tailgates or lift gates.
I'm not a big fan of the Jack-it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 03-05-2021, 07:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The advantage of the BB or Straddler is that you can use any standard 2" receiver bike rack on them or the rear of your vehicle.
The Jack-it doesn't allow for that. Plus they get the bikes up higher to clear tailgates or lift gates.
I'm not a big fan of the Jack-it.

We also have the adapter to use the bike wing on our truck. No tailgate issues for us! The jack-it attaches over the tongue jack, which doesn’t interfere with the tailgate, and holds the bikes higher than the tailgate reaches. Works great.
SlyCamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:32 AM   #6

The OP has a hybrid with a fold down front bunk. Will either the Bike Bunk or the Straddler fit under a dropped bunk without removal?

There have also been good reviews of the Arvika (Canadian) but they are very expensive and likely have the same clearance issue on a hybrid.

2020 Ford F250 CCSB 4x4 7.3 (Gas) - Sold
2019 Rockwood Roo 23BDS hybrid - Sold
2005 Fleetwood Valor (Sun Valley) Sold
azfansinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfansinnc View Post
The OP has a hybrid with a fold down front bunk. Will either the Bike Bunk or the Straddler fit under a dropped bunk without removal?

There have also been good reviews of the Arvika (Canadian) but they are very expensive and likely have the same clearance issue on a hybrid.
When I had my hybrid, I looked into the bike bunk and I think that it would fit under the opened bunk door. But the bike rack had to be removed.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:13 AM   #8

Another option to consider, since you have a truck, is to use a roof rack system over the bed. I set mine up so I can still use my tonneau cover. Makes it really easy if you need to transport bikes while camping

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:17 AM   #9

yeah that's my plan eventually. I still haven't upgraded my truck yet. I don't want to get a bed rack for the tacoma and then upgrade and it not fit the new truck bed. how many bikes are you able to get over the F150 bed? I've got 5 bikes to deal with and for now we've been camping close by our house and taking two cars so that the dog can go with us too and I'm not overloading my Tacoma. So i've just been putting the bikes on the back of the van and sometimes 2 on the camper bumper but I really want to get away from the bumper. Even with the support brackets underneath the bumper I still don't have confidence they aren't gonna rip right off the bumper at some point.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #10

There are only three of us so I only put 3 over the bed. However, if you alternate the orientation of the bikes four will definitely fit. Possibly five if one or two of them are smaller. Getting longer bars will allow you to put the bikes further out.

For the middle bike I do have to reach out my rear window to latch the wheel in place.

Since my truck is older I don't have a rail/accessory rack as part of the bed. I ended up finding a guy on eBay that made "rain gutters" that clamped on the sides of the bed. This allows me to use the original style rain gutter roof rack feet from Thule. There are better solutions for new trucks.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #11

Here is a link to the artificial rain gutters I used to put my rack over my tonneau cover

www.summitracks.com

Old 03-13-2021, 09:06 PM   #12

hey thanks! I think I'm gonna get a universal bed rack from KB VOODOO Fabrications. I'll be able to carry it over to a new bigger truck eventually.

https://www.kbvoodoo.com/shop/univer...tonneau-covers
Old 03-14-2021, 12:57 AM   #13

I suggest the summit racks over the other option you showed. Only because you can use any major brand of rack system. I stuck with Thule since I already had several attachments. Yakima works too.

My bike rack goes over my tonneau.

Tags
bike, bike rack