Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #21
NELA

Another tip from Pinterest (yes, I'm addicted)

OLD remedy is 20 Mule Team Borax

sheesh, can't believe I forgot this...my grandmother told me about this when I was first married...early 20s

It kills ants and roaches. I'd set it around inside cabinets in jar lids...small amounts will do it.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #22

We got the Torro traps. Set four around where they were. Less then 24 hrs and we are ant free!
I am going to take these tips with us though!

Me, DW, our 3 sons and DD on the way
2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2007 Chevy Tahoe V8
Old 08-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #23

About 3 weeks ago we were camping and noticed some ants and I found that they were coming up the sewer hose. We set off a bug bomb after fixing the issue outside. You will need to remove food and stuff and then wipe everything down afterwards. This past week the front of my fifth wheel was covered on the outside with ants. looks like they were dining on the splattered bugs. Good wash down. Spray around whatever touches the ground
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #24
Site Team

I carry ant spray and at the first sign of ants, inside or out, I spray everything touching the ground. Jacks. Tires. Hoses. Drains. Be aware of outside tables and chairs touching your unit. Those little critters will find a way in.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #25

QmastD .. I see from your sig line "Central Florida" so here is my 2 cents to add. If you can catch any ants in a plastic bag, lookup "Do it Yourself Pest Control" they are an easy find in Central Florida and bring them in. This shop has the right poison to spray/spread/set in place to totally ANNIHILATE all sorts of critters and they are EXPERTS at identifying exactly what type of ant you have so that you get the right control element. After having used the DIY Pest Control folks I have decided that all the RAID and home store sprays are just FOOD that attracts more pests! ;-)

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #26

I use diatomaceous earth. It's a white powder and I sprinkle it around anything that touches the ground. No ants or mice... ever... You can order a bag from Amazon.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #27

Find BORAX, its a laundry additive, its green. Mix it with sugar and sprinkle it around your trailer. Week later there wont be any ants guaranteed.
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #28

Feel for ya.

I use Malathion. Mix with water and spray on. Stuff is lethal. Stinks. Smells like gasoline for a day but who cares.

Remember ants will follow established scent trails from their friends - nice little line marching along - so clean their trail and area well with a heavy duty chemical cleaner.

They're either looking for food, water or nest material or worst new nest location.

Nuke em.

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
CDNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #29

We ran into a problem with sugar ands down in SanDiago a few years back. After getting them all our of the unit with vacuum cleaner and lysis wipes we prevented any new intruders with comet powder ... yes the pot cleaning stuff. Circle each tire and anything else on the unit that touches the ground and might allow entry for ants

Ants will not pass over the powder as it will kill them. This is a very quick and effective solution

Cheers
Tim
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:50 AM   #30
Drinkin beer on the beach

Termidor SC | Do-It-Yourself Pest Control | Free Shipping

This is what I use on the job, and it's worth every penny. It's a non-repellant and not terribly fast acting, but it's the best thing going.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:10 AM   #31

I guess I generally take the "a spoon full of sugar" approach. I usually keep a small bottle of that karo syrup. I mash up a half a potato, then mix in some karo until you can make fairly stiff little balls of the mash. Then I just toss of few balls all along the back side and out of the way of any of my normal traffic areas.

The ants and such are more attracted to that more than anything I leave laying around inside. After all... I only need to distract them for a week or two at most.

9 times out of 10 they disappear from inside within a day... off to greener pastures. If they are persistent a little mash, sugar, and borax INSIDE works great, but you never really know what else you might be attracting and poisoning with outdoor remedys. (Like your neighbors cat) lol
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #32

Borax works the best
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote