Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
Retired Panpsychist

Bear Country and a Hybrid (w/Bunks In)

New to the hybrid world and wondering if campgrounds labeled "Hard Side Only" will let a hybrid in if the bunks are kept closed. Thinking of a Roo 23IKSS and, with just my more intelligent half and me, we could easily sleep on the HAB with the slide out but the bunks closed.

TIA,

Theo
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #2
Site Team

What you're talking about is called "turtling", in the Hybrid community.

I know some hybrid owners were able to camp at Fishing Bridge CG, which is a hard side only CG.

They simply turtled.
But I imagine it's up to each campground.
But most wouldn't even know the difference between a Hybrid TT and a regular TT.

Personally I wouldn't camp at Fishing Bridge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #3
Retired Panpsychist

Thanks, bikendan!

I love the word "turtling" to explain the bunks-in look! Is there another word for when the bunks are in AND the slides are in.

It seems like the best thing to do is to call ahead to the campground staff to see if a turtled hybrid is acceptable. I've spent time hiking in bear country when staying in a cabin that had nightly bear prowlers, but it also had a steel bear-box for storing food and trash bags. Interesting markings decorated the outside of that box!

Theo
Old 04-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #4

I know this is not answering your question but we have camped for a total of 6 months out west at national parks, forests, state parks and any other type of public campground, none of which had restrictions on tent sides. All of them had strict regulations on bear prevention in campgrounds. Initially, these warnings scared us to death but if you follow their rules, it won't be a problem. One of the reasons we bought a hybrid was to hold on to the tent feel of tent camping, but in comfort (high and dry). The only times we would turtle would be in a severe storm and even then we would probably try and outrun it or avoid it or arrive late and leave early the next day. We would still slide out in the arrive late situation.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Grammar Pedant

Seems that most of the great camping is in bear country. Here's a map of the range of black bears ... and this is probably out of date and conservative. For example, there have been lots of bear sightings in the Black Hills and around Custer State Park in the apparently bear-less South Dakota. Similarly, states like Indiana know of a few bears that have migrated into their states. So, pretty much when you camp in the wilderness, you're camping with bears:

For those campgrounds that require hard sided trailers, I very much doubt that a Hybrid entering the place would set off alarm bells. As long as you kept the canvas in (turtling), then I bet you'd be fine.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
Censored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
New to the hybrid world and wondering if campgrounds labeled "Hard Side Only" will let a hybrid in if the bunks are kept closed. Thinking of a Roo 23IKSS and, with just my more intelligent half and me, we could easily sleep on the HAB with the slide out but the bunks closed.

TIA,

Theo
Generally if you tell the camp host you won’t be opening the canvas portion of your hybrid they will allow you to camp. They do check to make sure you are complying and if not they won’t hesitate to kick you out. Keep in mind the first word in my post is “generally.”
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
Site Team

When this subject comes up, I always ask for the names of campgrounds that have a PERMANENT ban on hybrids and popups.
The only one that's mentioned is Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone.
The others mentioned have temporary bans or are in backcountry areas that RVs can't get to or fit in.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #8
Retired Panpsychist

Thanks for the info, everyone!

Interesting map, 67L48. We are, indeed, in bear country at our home and the map confirms it. That's why the original question arose. Our bears are quite timid, though I am not interested in conducting a formal study!

Closest I came was seeing three sets of four legs (one large set and two small sets) go past the garage door while working underneath the car. It took me a while to start breathing again.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #9

I go camping all the time with bears and don't have a problem

They are a cpl I know Jim and Joan Bear of Ohio
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #10
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
...{snip}...Jim and Joan Bear of Ohio...
I believe I’ve met them:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA6D7CD2-81AF-4593-85D2-731EC5B546BC.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	168629  
Old 04-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #11

Don't let a hard side fool you, a big bear could open one as easy as I can open a beer. Even boarded up log cabins are no match for a bear that knows what he is doing.

My deputy friend recalled a time he got called to a black bear in a GMC Denali pickup. The pickup was sitting in a driveway with all doors shut and windows up. The bear opened the door with the handle, climbed inside, and shut the door behind him. Then proceeded to eat the front seat and a few other things. They blocked the door with a patrol car just enough to allow it to crack open and insert a tranquilizer gun. After the bear was hit of course his bowels were relaxed and relieved all over inside as well.

Sad thing was, as a black bear that bear was put down. Grizzlies get protection even if they "learn" but a smart black bear is just killed.

So hard side or pup-tent, dont let the bears get wise on all the goodies you carry.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #12

I know that when Glacier NP closes a campground temporarily to non hard sided trailers, it allows turtling. They also make an effort to "swap" hard sided trailers into the area and allow the soft sided trailers to take their spots.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #13

Yeah, like a hard side makes any difference.

Tips for RVing in Bear Country

Not too worried. If a bear comes in one of the bunk ends, We are going out the door. Mr. Bear will be distracted by all the food inside. Yeah, it would suck but it is what it is. Having a hard side isn't magical protection. They can come in through the doors with no problem. Even read an article where one was close to clawing through the wall near the window. We know how thin and cheaply made these RVs are.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I believe I’ve met them:
nope that's not them he is shaved and not so hairy
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, bunks, hybrid