Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 09:25 PM   #1

Bunk door assistance

Hi, I have a 2021Palamino Solaire 147X. I am wondering if anyone has installed gas struts or other devices to assist with raising the bunks to close them. Problem is, I am a short guy, 5'3", ( and not that strong anymore) and I need to get up on a ladder to close the latch. The front one is not that big of a problem because it has a negative angle, and will stay in place once it is raised. But the rear is a vertical, and will not stay in place by itself. Typically, the canvas needs to be tucked in for the bunk to be closed weathertight, and it is a real challenge, rather, impossible, to do this single handedly.. Any insights would be appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------

2021 Palomino Hybrid 147X Off Road
2015 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel w/Tow Package
ddeanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeanb View Post
Hi, I have a 2021Palamino Solaire 147X. I am wondering if anyone has installed gas struts or other devices to assist with raising the bunks to close them. Problem is, I am a short guy, 5'3", ( and not that strong anymore) and I need to get up on a ladder to close the latch. The front one is not that big of a problem because it has a negative angle, and will stay in place once it is raised. But the rear is a vertical, and will not stay in place by itself. Typically, the canvas needs to be tucked in for the bunk to be closed weathertight, and it is a real challenge, rather, impossible, to do this single handedly.. Any insights would be appreciated.
In the 16 years I've been on various Hybrid forums, I've never seen any such solution for those asking the same type of questions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeanb View Post

I have the same problem with my 24WS Roo. I’m thinking of installing a spring hinge to help me out. I put a question out to everyone and waiting to see what they think.
Toppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:44 AM   #4

Close all windows and turn on all roof fans to high. This will suck the canvas in so you don't have to tuck it.

Has anyone tried using a pole to push the bunk end up? It will help if you usually need a ladder. I would mount a "receiver" for the pole on the bunk where you push to keep the end of it from moving around. The pole can also be wedged against the ground to hold the bunk in place. The issue with a pole is getting a telescoping version that is both long and short enough to do the job.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, door