Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #1

Bunk/tent ends on hybrid replace

Hello, I have 2011 forest River Wildwood 17exl. I have just noticed that the bunk/tent doors of my travel trailer has bubbled at the bottom on the outside and the inside is soft. I understand that I have to replace the doors but the doors can only be purchased through a dealer not from the factory. The only dealer close to me is "General RV". Do these prices seen realistic. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

GENERAL RV DEALERSHIP #1

Tent door- 42” x 76 ¼” , front, $899.95
Tent door-39 ½”x 69 ½”, side, $849.95
Crating 2@ $100.00 $200.00
Shipping $300.00
Tax $134.99
Total $2384.89

GENERAL RV DEALERSHIP #2

Tent door- 42” x 76 ¼” , front, $735.95
Tent door-39 ½”x 69 ½”, side, $714.95
Crating $150.00
Shipping $250.00
Tax $111.05
Total $1961.95
zxredwing91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

I own a 2005 rock wood roo and found out that you now can order direct
from the manufacturer . I ordered a bunk door , less than 300 and then 100 crate fee and shipping . Call 574-642-8945( Teri) and see if they do the same for your model
jcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamp View Post
I own a 2005 rock wood roo and found out that you now can order direct
from the manufacturer . I ordered a bunk door , less than 300 and then 100 crate fee and shipping . Call 574-642-8945( Teri) and see if they do the same for your model

Thank you very much! I will give them a call.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #4

I have a 2007 23ss and have some water damage inside the door but has not shown up on the outside. I have damaged plywood. I am pretty sure I can fix but am surprised they designed these doors with two layers of interior plywood with a layer of foam sandwiched between, probably for weight savings. Should have used marine ply and sealed the edges to keep water out that would eventually enter there. I am also replacing the seals in both beds.
mvan48309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxredwing91 View Post
Thank you very much! I will give them a call.
Comparing Apple's to Oranges in this thread.

On a Rockwood/Flagstaff or Palomino hybrid the bunk door assembly is a proprietary Forest River design and made by Forest River.

The OP's FR Wildwood as well as Surveyor, along with every other hybrid such as Jayco, Keystone, KZ, Aerolite use some version of Lipperts secure lock bunk door.

Having now owned both, the Lippert door is a much better design as far as frame assembly, hinge, and seal design. The issue the OP is going to find is Lipperts prices are always inflated for parts. You are not going to get a Lippert door assembly for $300. I was quoted over $650 by Lippert 5 years ago on one of their door assemblies. Also be prepared to modify or replace the tenting as Lipperts design in regards to how the tenting attaches, and the extrusions used in the frame and door, have changed at least 4 times since 2008.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #6

Are you the first owners? We purchased a new 2010 FR hybrid from a local dealer. In 2015 both end doors delaminated. We went to the dealer & they quoted prices like those above. We contacted FR directly and because we were the original owners, they provided us with 2 doors for free & we paid the shipping ($300). My husband & I installed the doors ourselves in one day including the decals. Looked brand new & FR was great to deal with.
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris View Post
Are you the first owners? We purchased a new 2010 FR hybrid from a local dealer. In 2015 both end doors delaminated. We went to the dealer & they quoted prices like those above. We contacted FR directly and because we were the original owners, they provided us with 2 doors for free & we paid the shipping ($300). My husband & I installed the doors ourselves in one day including the decals. Looked brand new & FR was great to deal with.
I bought the travel trailer when it was returned that same year from the dealer in 2011. So I am the second owner. I just talked to a gentleman from FR and he told me the doors are no longer available and that the company that made them went out of business. So asked him what about the doors that General RV dealer quoted me on and he said they were for a 2009. I dont even see a travel trailer that resemble mine in 2009? Do you have the contact information for the person you talked to that got you the doors? Thank you.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #8

Quote:
I bought the travel trailer when it was returned that same year from the dealer in 2011. So I am the second owner. I just talked to a gentleman from FR and he told me the doors are no longer available and that the company that made them went out of business. So asked him what about the doors that General RV dealer quoted me on and he said they were for a 2009. I dont even see a travel trailer that resemble mine in 2009? Do you have the contact information for the person you talked to that got you the doors? Thank you.

The person you talked with at FR does not know what he is talking about. The doors on your unit were made by Lippert, and the rough opening size would remain the same despite other differences mentioned in my earlier post. The larger size is what is used on an 8' wide hybrid and the smaller on a 7' wide hybrid such as a Jayco Jayfeather 7. Your door looks just like the door in the attached picture of a 2017 Jayco other than color of frame and latch arrangement. The latches are a manufacturer installed item and do not come with the door assembly. Lippert will be of no help, as they now provide these doors only to OEMs and have no info listed on their websites anymore about them. Call General RV and ask if the quoted doors are made by Lippert.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-JAYCO-JAY-FEATHER-X23B-EXPANDABLE-HYBRID-TRAVEL-TRAILER-H16108-23190.jpg
Views:	1483
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	136862  
Old 05-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #9

Bunk ends

Look through the forums and you may find a contact. I can't remember who helped us & all the documentation went when we sold our Shamrock. I did get the suggestion of who to contact at Forest River. Greg or Gary Rollins was a name we were the given but it wasn't who we finally dealt with. We will continue to look this weekend but I imagine there is someone else on this forum who had a similar experience. Anyway, we were so pleased with the service we received that we bought another Forest River product. Not one with tend ends though. I miss the two beds. Our large dogs have trouble believing that the one bed in our trailer isn't for them.
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris View Post
Look through the forums and you may find a contact. I can't remember who helped us & all the documentation went when we sold our Shamrock. I did get the suggestion of who to contact at Forest River. Greg or Gary Rollins was a name we were the given but it wasn't who we finally dealt with. We will continue to look this weekend but I imagine there is someone else on this forum who had a similar experience. Anyway, we were so pleased with the service we received that we bought another Forest River product. Not one with tend ends though. I miss the two beds. Our large dogs have trouble believing that the one bed in our trailer isn't for them.
Forest River is made up of many divisions. Rockwood will most likely not be able to help the OP because they do not use, nor have they ever used, the bunk doors he has on his Wildcat. Rockwood uses a totally different design.

It seems he has already bombed out with the Wildwood division. The only other FR division who uses the Lippert door is Surveyor. That might be worth a try, or FWIW a call to Lippert, which probably will go nowhere. The quotes the OP received are most likely as good as it may get, but if General RV can order them so can any dealer. The shipping will be a killer as they have to be shipped motor freight.

OP, the door in this video is the same or close to your doors on your Wildcat. Have you considered rebuilding it yourself. The guy who made this has others if you search by his user name.

https://youtu.be/B7Qqvn34H5Q

Well that does not work. Go to YouTube and search for Kodiak Scamper Bunk Door Repair.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Forest River is made up of many divisions. Rockwood will most likely not be able to help the OP because they do not use, nor have they ever used, the bunk doors he has on his Wildcat. Rockwood uses a totally different design.

It seems he has already bombed out with the Wildwood division. The only other FR division who uses the Lippert door is Surveyor. That might be worth a try, or FWIW a call to Lippert, which probably will go nowhere. The quotes the OP received are most likely as good as it may get, but if General RV can order them so can any dealer. The shipping will be a killer as they have to be shipped motor freight.

OP, the door in this video is the same or close to your doors on your Wildcat. Have you considered rebuilding it yourself. The guy who made this has others if you search by his user name.

https://youtu.be/B7Qqvn34H5Q

Well that does not work. Go to YouTube and search for Kodiak Scamper Bunk Door Repair.

My camper is a wildwood not wildcat. I have thought about fixing them myself but not sure what materials are to be used. Especially the outside that gets most of the elements from the weather. From talking to FR and general rv I am so confused. But what you said about general rv going through lippert is most likely what they did. It still does not explain how they have a part number for the doors?? Thank you for the help everyone and any continued advice would be very much appreciated. 
Name:   IMG_0442.JPG
Views: 10830
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:	IMG_0441.JPG
Views:	1020
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	136877
Old 05-05-2017, 10:14 PM   #12

I have a Starcraft Toy Hauler with the same bunk arrangement as your Wildwood. Mine has signs of bubble out on the front bunk lower 6" or so. Likely from moisture entering around the hardware to hook the canvas. I've already resealed those screws, and inspecting the inside there are no soft spots or signs of moisture penetration. On yours you speak solely about replacement. Have you inspected to determine it needs replaced? The outer skin can bubble and be reglued and be good as new if the inner core is not rotted or damaged.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
I have a Starcraft Toy Hauler with the same bunk arrangement as your Wildwood. Mine has signs of bubble out on the front bunk lower 6" or so. Likely from moisture entering around the hardware to hook the canvas. I've already resealed those screws, and inspecting the inside there are no soft spots or signs of moisture penetration. On yours you speak solely about replacement. Have you inspected to determine it needs replaced? The outer skin can bubble and be reglued and be good as new if the inner core is not rotted or damaged.

The inside bottom 6" or so is soft but not mushy. Definitely has a different sound when knocking on it. Would like to sell it but do not want to sell to someone in that condition. I believe my only option is to try and fix it myself. But if I go beyond where I'm not able to repair it than I really would be screwed.

The water is most likely coming in where I have the three black arrows. I see it separating when I close up the bed. The side bed is not so bad. No softness inside but bubbling on the outside.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:22 PM   #14

Quote:
The inside bottom 6" or so is soft but not mushy. Definitely has a different sound when knocking on it. Would like to sell it but do not want to sell to someone in that condition. I believe my only option is to try and fix it myself. But if I go beyond where I'm not able to repair it than I really would be screwed.

The water is most likely coming in where I have the three black arrows. I see it separating when I close up the bed. The side bed is not so bad. No softness inside but bubbling on the outside.

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	136907
Old 05-05-2017, 11:25 PM   #15

Where are you located? Might be some of us close enough to help you should you decide to fix it. I'm just west of Indianapolis, and have a work shop capable of repairs like this.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
Where are you located? Might be some of us close enough to help you should you decide to fix it. I'm just west of Indianapolis, and have a work shop capable of repairs like this.

About 10 miles outside of Detroit. May be a little bit of a drive. I appreciate the offer though.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:10 AM   #17

Quote:
About 10 miles outside of Detroit. May be a little bit of a drive. I appreciate the offer though.
If you can somehow get Lippert to sell you the doors directly, your only a couple of hours from them. You might be able to pick them up and save all the shipping and crating charges. Like I have said before, they were a $650 part a few years ago so probably no getting around the price.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #18

Always liking options, does anyone know who makes or made them for 06' Starcraft travel star?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #19

Definitly something I did not want to hear. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	137312
Old 05-10-2017, 04:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Definitly something I did not want to hear. Attachment 137312
I think she was talking out her rear end. They might not make that exact part number door anymore but they damn sure make a newer version. That is unless Lippert sold that overall design or division to someone else. Jayco, Keystone, Surveyor, KZ, Aerolite are getting those doors somewhere and I'd bet my rear end one would fit in your openings.

Go to a dealer that has both Jayfeather and Jayfeather 7 hybrids then measure the critical dimension of the perimeter frame from the inside. Then compare It to yours.

Tags
bunk, hybrid