RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #1

Crack in Ceiling Styrofoam

Just got back from a quick weekend away with our 2018 ikss where I happened to look into the ceiling a/c vent and say filtered light. Looking closer, it was a crack in the styrofoam that ran width wise and I saw it in thru the other vent too. I freaked out for a few hours because I thought there would be more than just styrofoam between the roof and the ceiling. I inspected the roof and found it in good condition, although there is a seam near the crack. I'll be purchasing an endoscope to get a better look at the extent of the crack. Any input appreciated.
The first 3 photos show the crack and from vent to vent, the 4th is the seam and the last is a permanent footprint in the roof of which there are many around the a/c unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_115212.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	236395   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_115227.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	236396   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_115333.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	236397   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_164915.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	236398   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_164844.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	236399  

StarCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Hmmm, that is interesting. It may not be too much to worry about as far as integrity, but may let cool air escape somewhat.

Has any other members had this occur?

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #3

Hmmm, a friend of mine has an RV repair center and I have (seldom) helped him replace the rubber roofing material. ALL of the units I have helped him on have had plywood or OSB under the roofing material. Those cracks do indeed look as if nothing is between the styrofoam and the roofing material. Me--I wouldn't hesitate to go up on the roof just above the crack and cut into the roofing material. Just a couple of inches. Just enough to see of I could peel back the roofing material enough to see what is underneath the roofing material. The cut can be covered with Dicor sealant, Lexor sealant, or Eternabond tape, , ,
Old 08-17-2020, 04:35 PM   #4

Page 13 of the brochure shows the roof construction

https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2...ini%20Lite.pdf
Old 08-17-2020, 05:21 PM   #5

Interesting read in that brochure as to roof construction. It appears that the roof structure is "engineered styrofoam" topped with the roofing material and appears to be a thin layer of some type of interior ceiling material. So, "StarCamper" may indeed have a crack in the "roof" of her unit, , ,
Old 08-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #6

The styrofoam is very thin in this area, I'm guessing because of the ceiling vents. The endoscope arrived yesterday and we're going camping next week so I'll take a closer look.
Maybe I can fill the crack with styrofoam spray like "Great Stuff" depending on the extent of the crack for me to be able to reach it. The roof itself is fine.

Any suggestions?
StarCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #7

Curious as to what you found with this. I have the same model and have the same thing happening. Is your crack at the vent closest to the dinette. Would like to hear what you found out.

Thanks
GDelage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:58 PM   #8

Called Forest River, Roo/Shamrock Division and spoke to Dave. Really nice and helpful guy. Sent him the pics while we were on the phone. He assured me the roof is sound and said the light I can see is from the kitchen skylight. Two vents are effected; one by the dinette/bathroom door and one close to the fridge. He said to pry off the cover, which I have attempted to do but am having a hard time of it. Will try again the end of the month when we go camping in Bullhead City.

I was able to inspect the vents with my endoscope and the areas around them are all solid as are the other vents. Guess the styrofoam is very thin just in those 2 places. I purchased some minimal expansion foam sealant to seal the cracks once I remove the vent covers.
Will update when the task is complete.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:20 PM   #9

Thanks for the update. I don't anticipate that this will be a problem but they must have some kind of issue there. Let me know if you would how the foam works.

Thanks Glenn
GDelage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack