Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #1

Emergency Roof Repair (I need Quick Advice from the Community)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	218504Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	218505

Fellow RVers,

I need some really fast advice for an emergency roof repair before I go on an 8 month military deployment in a few weeks. I took my RV cover off yesterday to prep it before I deploy and discovered a puncture in the Alpa Systems rubber roof from a tree branch. There is a little bit of mold and the plywood roof is noticeably damp around the hole, but not too bad. The 3 inch hole didn’t go all the way through the roof, but it went through the rubber membrane (Alpha Systems, TPO I think), and pierced the plywood roof and into the styrofoam insulation. Thankfully it didn’t penetrate all the way through to where I could see any noticeable damage on the ceiling from inside the trailer. Insurance will cover it, but I don’t think the permanent repair can be done before I deploy. I’m thinking I can cut out the damaged plywood with a multi tool, fill the void with spray foam, and cover the hole with a EternaBond patch and seal it with Dicor self leveling caulk until a permanent repair can be made at the RV repair shop when I return from deployment next summer. Does anyone have any other suggestions or see a flaw in this plan for a temporary fix? Any suggestions from this awesome community is greatly appreciated. Fly Navy!
Old 11-01-2019, 10:42 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK3wire View Post
Attachment 218504Attachment 218505

Fellow RVers,

I need some really fast advice for an emergency roof repair before I go on an 8 month military deployment in a few weeks. I took my RV cover off yesterday to prep it before I deploy and discovered a puncture in the Alpa Systems rubber roof from a tree branch. There is a little bit of mold and the plywood roof is noticeably damp around the hole, but not too bad. The 3 inch hole didn’t go all the way through the roof, but it went through the rubber membrane (Alpha Systems, TPO I think), and pierced the plywood roof and into the styrofoam insulation. Thankfully it didn’t penetrate all the way through to where I could see any noticeable damage on the ceiling from inside the trailer. Insurance will cover it, but I don’t think the permanent repair can be done before I deploy. I’m thinking I can cut out the damaged plywood with a multi tool, fill the void with spray foam, and cover the hole with a EternaBond patch and seal it with Dicor self leveling caulk until a permanent repair can be made at the RV repair shop when I return from deployment next summer. Does anyone have any other suggestions or see a flaw in this plan for a temporary fix? Any suggestions from this awesome community is greatly appreciated. Fly Navy!
Your plan sounds solid! Getting it covered and waterproof is important.

Thank you for your service.

Brian
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:44 PM   #3

If you patch the wood with some epoxy or something and then eternabond tape would be a permanent repair. Once that eternabond is down on a clean surface, it's never coming off and shouldn't ever leak, no dicor needed.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
If you patch the wood with some epoxy or something and then eternabond tape would be a permanent repair. Once that eternabond is down on a clean surface, it's never coming off and shouldn't ever leak, no dicor needed.

Ray

Thanks Ray for the advice and quick reply!
Old 11-01-2019, 10:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Your plan sounds solid! Getting it covered and waterproof is important.

Thank you for your service.

Brian

Thanks Brian. Appreciate the advice.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:14 PM   #6
Retired Old Fart

Home Depot, Lowes, etc... will have a epoxy based wood repair type filler. That would give a good firm base that would be permanent repair in the wood and much stronger than spray foam. Then the Eternabond would seal it for good.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Home Depot, Lowes, etc... will have a epoxy based wood repair type filler. That would give a good firm base that would be permanent repair in the wood and much stronger than spray foam. Then the Eternabond would seal it for good.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2019, 02:31 AM   #8

Filling the hole with spray foam is a good idea. I would try to let that damaged wood dry as much as possible before filling the hole. Try digging out as much of the styrofoam as possible to increase air circulation. You're going to fill it with spray foam anyways. Minimally expanding spray foam would be a good choice so that the foam doesn't expand too much between the layers and cause separation. As stated previously, Eternabond will make that repair permanent.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Turf View Post
Filling the hole with spray foam is a good idea. I would try to let that damaged wood dry as much as possible before filling the hole. Try digging out as much of the styrofoam as possible to increase air circulation. You're going to fill it with spray foam anyways. Minimally expanding spray foam would be a good choice so that the foam doesn't expand too much between the layers and cause separation. As stated previously, Eternabond will make that repair permanent.

Thanks PSU. Appreciate the advice.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
this is the best way to do it, try to let it dry out if you can before you use the epoxy. They use that on wooden boats , it will be harder then the wood when it cures. Dig out anything loose then inject it into the void trim the loose rubber roof and then tape it, you will never know that it happened, cover the area while it drys out or use a heat gun to make it faster. Is the plywood soft around the damage? If not then your best bet is the hardner it will fill the voids. Where do you keep your TT when deployed? On base? Where are you at? I’m in Virginia and stay at a lot of Fam camps. If your close by in Virginia when your deployed I would be happy to check on it for you. Stay safe and keep your head down, and that’s a order, thanks for your service, oh yes DO NOT use foam.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #11

Just a thought. Eternabond can be purchased on Amazon and comes in colors to match your Alpha roof, also comes in small rolls and will be delivered in days. After a lot of searching on Amazon I did find a small roll of grey to match my roof. Was the roof area with mild soap , Simple Green , Dawn , Murphys. Do not use solvent or other RV roof cleaners. Very easy roof to maintain, Alpha systems has a good web sight on maintenance.

Alpha says to only use their product for repairs but Eternabond works just fine, I have had some on my roof for months now and no problem.

AS others have said doing what your planning to do should be a permanent fix.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #12

Fairly sure by the looks of picture you posted that you do have an Alpha system TOP roof.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #13

Get a hair dryer or heat gun and dry the area real good before patching. Only takes a couple minutes to dry. Not too hot or you melt the foam,,but works in minutes.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #14

Minwax Wood Hardener will solve the issue with the soft plywood.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-Wood...ler/1000447109

It bonds to the wood fibers and when it drys encapsulates them. you can get a syringe at a local pharmacy and apply it through the hole in the roofing, no need to get all busy cutting anything.

After it drys use some Wood filler to make a nice smooth surface on the plywood, again through the hole in the roofing. A small putty knife should allow you to apply and smooth it through that gap.

Here is one you can squeeze through the bap and them just smooth it out.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-Stai...ller/999914231

After that, Eternabond tape on top and it will be better than new.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Minwax Wood Hardener will solve the issue with the soft plywood.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-Wood...ler/1000447109

It bonds to the wood fibers and when it drys encapsulates them. you can get a syringe at a local pharmacy and apply it through the hole in the roofing, no need to get all busy cutting anything.

After it drys use some Wood filler to make a nice smooth surface on the plywood, again through the hole in the roofing. A small putty knife should allow you to apply and smooth it through that gap.

Here is one you can squeeze through the bap and them just smooth it out.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-Stai...ller/999914231

After that, Eternabond tape on top and it will be better than new.

Great advice - that's how I would handle it as well!
Old 11-08-2019, 07:35 AM   #16

If your insurance is taking care of it then I would check into RV armor roof system. I had this same thing happen to me. They come to you no need to take rv to a shop. they cut out the section of damaged rubber roof then replace plywood and then apply a liquid that become a solid roof and it has a lifetime warranty and no more caulking. I am very happy with ours. Not sure of your time frame but they were pretty quick to get to my house and get it done.
inspectorgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #17

Do not use Dicor standard lap sealant, either no sag or self leveling, on Alpha Superflex.

Although it will work what will happen is the Dicor reacts with the Alpha and causes it to wrinkle / bubble. I used Dicor when chasing a leak around one of my vents. It wrinkled the Alpha membrane where ever the Dicor touched it. It also did not solve the leak so I ended up removing the vent and reinstalling it. The Dicor had reacted with the Alpha to the point I had to cut the membrane out 3" around the vent and replace it with Eternabond.

Alpha systems total protection sealant will not cause that reaction. It's hard to find at dealers or online as some places that have it will send you old product. I've bought it at everyone's favorite......Camping World, and it was fresh.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, roo, roof, roof repair