Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #1

Happy owner of a hybrid, refreshing...

Let it be known that our 3rd summer in our 2011 Shamrock 19 - a Roo twin - is coming to an end.

I am sad for owners who have issues with leaks and al, but let me be the voice of a silent majority.

I have had no leaks at all, all amenities and appliances have worked very well. Yes, we did have to make adjustments here & there, but that is to be expected. We have pulled it over 2500 mi this summer.

So I declare wholeheartedly that we are very happy hybrid owners.

On this last weekend of the season, we woke up today in heavy rain and a very cold morning - but oh so greatful for heated mattresses, a warm trailer and a hearty hot breakfast.

I would buy another hybrid, no ifs or buts.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Good post!

I got to say 2500+ miles during the summer season is very impressive! Sorry that the camping season is ending as your closing statement is part of the reason many of us love RVing.

Take care.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #3

Thank you for the positive post! Although I can empathize with those who are having major issues with their hybrid, it's nice to hear a few positive words. We, also, have had a few minor glitches with our camper, but mostly our experience has been positive. Fortunately we live in an area that affords year-round camping (i.e. no need to winterize!!), so although winter will soon descend upon you, we will try to share stories and allow everyone in cold climates a vicarious experience!
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
kwillmott

Yes I wish that we had positive experiences to share as well. If we did I would definitely have been posting them.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
CampingQueen

I think people are more likely to post if they experience problems because they are looking for advice or just a sympathetic ear to vent.

If you aren't having any problems then you almost feel bad posting because 1) it sound a little bit like bragging and 2) you don't want to post "Well MINE works FINE" when others ARE having problems.

I will just say that we have had 2 different TT, and both of them were perfect from the dealer, we got a thorough PDI where everything had been tested, and the only issues we've had have been 'user error' or routine maintenance stuff.

I am sad to see the summer go by as well, but looking forward to at least 30 nights of camping next summer already booked, so now it's sit through the winter to dream and plan next summer's trips!
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Site Team

i'm also hesitant in posting the fact that in the 6 years i've had my Roo, i've never had more than a tiny amount of water in the hinge area.
enough to dab up with a rag.
nor did we ever have any leaks on the seams.
i, too, don't want to appear to "brag", when others are having such difficulties.

i understand that some aren't as lucky and i wish their experience would have been as positive as mine.

but having been on more than 5 Hybrid forums for over 7 years, i've read many sad stories of frustrated hybrid buyers, from all brands.

i know that FR sells thousands of Roos and Shamrocks each year. can't say what percentage have had problems like some of the recent posters.
but, from the various Hybrid forums i'm on, i don't see a unusual amount of those with issues, anymore than all the previous 7 years i've been reading hybrid posts.

that said, i hope FR works at getting these issues worked out.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
kwillmott

I can see what you both are saying. I wish I could look at my trailer and use it, enjoy it and be happy with it. I truly hope that FR can get these issues with the bunks worked out so more consumers can be happy and enjoy using their Rockwood Roo's.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
So I declare wholeheartedly that we are very happy hybrid owners.
We are, too!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:07 AM   #9

Count us in with the silent group. We have been thoroughly enjoying our Roo since we have had it. Like others, only a small dab with a towel takes care of any water we get inside, which is very rare (usually after a highway run through a biblical down pour). Any glitches have been easily handled by me, except for the frame cracking I had last year, but that was covered 50/50 by the dealer and FR. We average 5000 to 6000km a year with our trailer, and considering the horrible condition of the roads here in B.C. it is holding together very well, we are very pleased.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcct View Post
Count us in with the silent group. We have been thoroughly enjoying our Roo since we have had it. Like others, only a small dab with a towel takes care of any water we get inside, which is very rare (usually after a highway run through a biblical down pour). Any glitches have been easily handled by me, except for the frame cracking I had last year, but that was covered 50/50 by the dealer and FR. We average 5000 to 6000km a year with our trailer, and considering the horrible condition of the roads here in B.C. it is holding together very well, we are very pleased.
Depending on ages having a crew can help. Assigning tasks is a good idea as its a family effort (fun & work).

BTW I like your mission statement.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
kwillmott

How is that good though if you still get water in that you have dab with a towel? Is it coming into the bunk area? Water at all no matter the amount isn't good as it will cause rot and mould etc...
Old 10-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #12

With all due respect kwillmott, let's not make this thread another discussion on water damage. I would appreciate it.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared
With all due respect kwillmott, let's not make this thread another discussion on water damage. I would appreciate it.
Ditto
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #14

My wife and I also enjoyed our Wildwood 17EX which is a hybrid for 3 problem free seasons. In fact the only real issue I had with the trailer was that it seems that someone put a staple through the cable when building it and the outside cable connection would never work. Fixed that by running a new cable myself. The only water issue I had was with the shower, the water would run along the edge at the bottom of the wall itself and then down on the floor in front of the shower. I fixed that with some matching caulking to create a stop for the water flow. Two weeks ago we just moved up to a Wildwood 29BHBS because we want to do some seasonal and we did not have enough room in the hybrid for that type of camping with two Greyhounds under foot all the time. Loved the trailer for all the amenities it had and the ease of pulling it around.
rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwillmott View Post
How is that good though if you still get water in that you have dab with a towel? Is it coming into the bunk area? Water at all no matter the amount isn't good as it will cause rot and mould etc...
Sorry you don't like yours. I am really sorry you are having unholy problems with yours, but please, like others have said, don't hijack this thread. We like ours, and others do too, let us discuss that.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
I'm with him on this. In the grand scheme of things, I do love my Roo as well. It sucks to have a water damage (that will be getting fix, either my pocket or theirs), but there are two places other than home I love to be: My Roo or Disney, thanks goodness for Disney's Fort Wilderness!
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #17

I have had oura now for 2 seasons. No leaks and when we get to use it the family has fun in it. If I could pick on Hockeytown a little...really...Disney Fort Wilderness? There are a ton of places between your house and their that are better.lol. heck you should try Wekiva Springs State Park or Lake Louisa State Park. I grew up in Orlando and spent 39 years there so I am very biased here against Disney Lol....i am just picking on you. Dont take it personally. Floridas state parks are impressive with places like Wekiva or Anastasia or Manatee Springs or Bahia Honda and the list goes on. I enjoy my Roo and wish we had more time to use it. Maybe next year. Hockytwon, enjoy the mouse house in your Roo and maybe you will see Pooh there...oh I crack myself up.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #18

Love our Shamrock 183

We love our 2011 Shamrock 183. Used it for 2 summers and the only problem we had is when we opened it up early this past spring and found ice on the canvas, so this year we put an Adco cover over it. Other than that, no problems found. Definitely would buy another one! We didn't think we would use the 3rd bunk, but have used it almost every time we camped.
wellcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #19

We have a 2009 Rockwood 23SS, which we have travelled over 12K the last two seasons with no problems. The rig has held up well.

We would say that we love our Roo and would buy another Forest River trailer without qualification.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #20

Ah Smoky, we've missed you. I have a serious Disney addiction...
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote