Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
LIW

Hybrid Front Bunk seal and latch pads

New to the forum - but i come with pictures (see attached) so i appreciate any help i can get as i'm trying to avoid another expensive trip to the local RV dealer for repairs.

just bought a used hybrid - 2014 Freedom Express 21 tqx - we're getting a bit of water in the front bunk and it's sitting on the canvas roof when we open the bed (fortunately, only a very little getting inside).

My troubleshooting so far has been: - to check the lights above the bed - they have a good seal of caulk ; -check the gutter above the bed - looks well sealed, i took the screws out and put a bead of Proflex RV on for extra protection

This brings me to the Seal around the bed - it is a bit worn, starting to crack a bit from age i suppose, and most concerning - it is pushed back a bit in the top left corner (see picture attached). This corner also does not push in real far when latched, thus causing me to wonder if this is the source of my problem.

Also, the latch pads (see pic) are a bit worn and pressed in.

Since i'm not great with DIY repairs, i was wondering if putting a new seal around the bed is something that i could tackle, and if so, where can i get the appropriate seal for this camper? Any suggestions for making that replacement repair?

For the latch pads, i'm figuring even i can replace that - but need some input on where to get the correct pads?

Lastly, any suggestions for other things i should be looking at from the esteemed and experienced forum? Perhaps i'm missing something.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cpr2.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	198397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cpr4.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	198398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cpr5.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	198399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cpr7.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	198400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cpr6.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	198401  

LIW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #2

first I want you to understand that you have the older style latches that were changed right around 2014... some may tell you that you can adjust them, but that is only for post 2014 latch styles...

I have read that you can find and buy rubber seal by the foot and peel off the old and replace with new. Searching for the proper seal type to replace takes some web searching.

Some owners have added gutters above the top seal to eliminate the need to replace the seals.

One thread I found for you is here...
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...e-74901-2.html

Over the years, but not necessarily recently that I recall, there have been threads discussing other types of self-installed gutters above the bed... you will have to use advanced search to find those threads. I would concentrate on pre-2015 posts.

Personally, I can find up to a measuring cup (usually less) of water in my front bunk at times. I don't worry about it since that water is always sitting on the VINYL (not canvas) tent top and does not migrate anywhere into the inside. It only happens on the front bunk and never the back or side bunk. My hybrid is normally under cover when not being used, but the front can get rained on... and possibly the water intruded when I was driving in the rain... hard to tell.

I do use a vinyl protectant product to keep my canvas in top shape.
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:40 PM   #3

I replaced the bunk door seals on our 233T and it wasn't bad to do. I pealed it off the old seal then use turpentine to remove the residue. Followed it up by using alcohol to wipe the area down and slowly applied the new seal. I bought the seal from FR at $5.50 per foot. Take a pic before starting just to refer to if needed.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #4

Here is a pic of the bunk seal I got from FR. Yours may be the same and you may be able to find at some other source.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190310_182034.jpeg
Views:	309
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	198462Click image for larger version

Name:	20190310_182103.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	198463

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:20 PM   #5
LIW

Not sure if you got my response - the gutters look like a good idea - would you keep them on while driving?

Also, an update on my situation - while playing around with this, i put a piece of rubber seal under the worn pad on the bad side (pictured) and it added maybe 1/4" padding and made the door seal tighter. After a night of heavy rain, i checked this morning and there was NO water inside - I'll make a more permanent solution, but i'm thinking of doing the gutters also. thx.
LIW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 02:23 PM   #6

I know this is an old post but I'm hoping Jim still jumps on here. Do you know what they call this seal? Or the part number?

Thanks,

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChow View Post
Here is a pic of the bunk seal I got from FR. Yours may be the same and you may be able to find at some other source.Attachment 198462Attachment 198463
adnshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 04:34 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnshel View Post
I know this is an old post but I'm hoping Jim still jumps on here. Do you know what they call this seal? Or the part number?

Thanks,

David
You might do better to send him a PM. He apparently doesn't own the Surveyor hybrid anymore. His last post was from last year and he seems to own a non-FR rig now.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:36 AM   #8

I was planning on it, just wanted to try here first since the picture is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You might do better to send him a PM. He apparently doesn't own the Surveyor hybrid anymore. His last post was from last year and he seems to own a non-FR rig now.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
adnshel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, hybrid, seal