Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

Ideas on Hybrid RV/Explanable

Hi Everyone,

Hope you enjoyed your Labor Day weekend camping.

Looking for your thoughts and ideas; I currently have a 5er (~36') and now want to purchase a smaller RV for traveling. Too old to want the hassles of traveling with and setting up my current RV (leveling, etc.)

Looking for something easy to tow and set up. So, I am thinking of purchasing a hybrid RV (versus pop-up). My only drawback in the vinyl (bed pull outs) sweating on hot/humid days or will air conditioning take care of my concerns.

Please share your thoughts with me.
rienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #2

I'm sure there are many on here and elsewhere that have had great experiences with their hybrid. For me, I had a Jayco hybrid that was purchased brand new and we had nothing but problems with it. It leaked from day one and they never could solve it. We had moisture/condensation under the mattress regardless of the many things we tried to correct it (fan running, leaving bunk end slightly unzipped, etc). It spent more time at the dealer than in my possesion. We cut our losses and went back with the hardsided 23LB.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rienzo View Post
Looking for your thoughts and ideas; I currently have a 5er (~36') and now want to purchase a smaller RV for traveling. Too old to want the hassles of traveling with and setting up my current RV (leveling, etc.)
Just a thought for ya, you still have to level, hookup up water & power to a hybrid PLUS deal with pulling down/pushing up the tent ends which can be heavy. Some expandables do have a rear bunk which is like a powered slide out and is easier to operate. Have you considered a smaller travel trailer? Maybe an R-Pod?
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #4

If you're looking for easier setup/teardown a hybrid is not the way to go. You have ADDITIONAL work to do to deploy the bunks. If they get wet, you have even more additional work to do when you get home to redeploy them so they can dry out.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:

Looking for something easy to tow and set up. So, I am thinking of purchasing a hybrid RV (versus pop-up). My only drawback in the vinyl (bed pull outs) sweating on hot/humid days or will air conditioning take care of my concerns.
as an owner of a hybrid for 9 years, these are my thoughts.

as Loraura stated, a hybrid TT will be MORE setup work than a 5th wheel.

you still have to level, a WDH is more of a hassle hitching up/disconnecting from than your 5th wheel hitch, you have to drop the bunk doors down(they are not "pull outs, that's a popup)and setup the tent ends, you have to make up the mattresses.

it sounds like you've haven't seen a hybrid TT in person yet.

most hybrid TT owners are former popup owners. we want more amenities than a popup offers but still love "sleeping under canvas".
so we're willing to put up with the extra work that is required for a hybrid, over what's required for a regular TT.

as was said, you can control condensation and temps by using Popup Gizmos on top of the tent ends and Reflectix in the tent windows. most of hybrid owners can keep the trailer cool with the a/c. but again, this requires more setup/takedown work.

hybrid TTs aren't for everybody. based on your statement above, i STRONGLY urge you NOT to buy a hybrid. if you thought your 5th wheel was too much work, a hybrid TT will be much more.
especially for traveling. you have to do all this work everytime you move.

we are now retired and we plan on selling our hybrid to buy a bigger TT or 5th wheel because we want to travel for extended times(2-3 months).
a hybrid TT is NOT good for this kind of lifestyle because of all the extra setup/takedown work and no walkaround bed.

a hybrid TT is second only to a popup, for setup hassle.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:24 PM   #6

Have you considered A Flagstaff Micro Lite or a Rockwood Mini Lite. Had a FS 21FBRS; great little TT.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #7

We too have progressed through the Pop-up, 24' travel trailer, 30' travel trailer with full slide and then to the 40' fifth wheel with three slides.
We have camped much of the Atlantic coast as far South as Myrtle Beach.
We have suffered dozens of blow outs. It came to a point where I didn't look forward to going camping anymore.
In June we ordered a Surveyor 191T. We have camped seven nights so far and have enjoyed a renewed simplicity. We can set in about thirty minutes and break camp in a similar time frame.
Our kitchen facilities are very comparable to those of our 5er. The AC unit is very efficient.
We are very happy with our choice.
Good luck with yours.

2016 Surveyor 191T
2006 KZ 37KGx2
2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 CTD 325/610
Old 09-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #8
Broken Toe

I've never experienced condensation. And I have the 15kBTU A/C. With Pop-Up gizmos installed, you can hang meat in my camper, even in August.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #9

Shamrock 183 hybrid... I can setup and take down and hook up in less than 30 minutes, all 3 beds, by myself, less if I have help... I might have to run in/out a couple of times to get the folding beds just right to be able to shut the beds, especially the front bed... If I only stop for the night, only the rear bunk goes down, for the wife and I sleep on the dinette bed, and we can be leaving in 5 minutes.

This hybrid is perfect for me and the wife and I frequently take trips with 2 or 3 friends and spend nights at locations. Everyone loves it because it has everything you could need in a small size.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #10

We've had our 23ikss for over a year now and are very happy with it. Setting up and tearing down are quicker and easier than with our old pup. However it does take just a bit longer than a regular tt. In our current situation it's great. One thought for you.....a hybrid is closer to the bottom of the food chain than a 40 ft fiver. They are built extremely light with very thin, lightweight materials. Construction quality will probably not be to the same standards as your current unit. Again, it's great for us...may not be for you. We like it because when it's just us we fold down the front bunk. When grandkids stowaway we lower the back one too. Nobody has to sleep on the dinette (not real comfortable) or the sofa bed ( not much better) I just wish they had hybrids when we were camping with our kids. Probably couldn't have afforded it then though.
Anyway, good luck with your search. Ask more questions anytime.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #11

I live in NM, so condensation isn't an issue. I struggled with the bunks the first few times trying to get the fabric to stay inside the camper. Then I got a 6' piece of electrical metal conduit (lightweight pipe) and it catches on a snap and lifts the bunk just enough to tuck all of the material inside where it goes. It takes just a couple of minutes, and I can do it by myself.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #12

I moved down from a larger toy hauler to a hybrid. I find the setup just about the same. The tear down is a little more with the hybrid.

I did my move because I wanted to be closer to the outside and I wanted a smaller, compact unit for easy towing and parking. It accomplished both of these goals very well.

Quality/fit and finish are about the same and comfort is about the same. You will lose a little sound isolation and the flexibility of screen ends is both awesome but also requires a little more from you.

I love my hybrid, but I would only recommend one to a person wanting a closer connection to the outside or one with tow length limitations. It is a unique group of people that prefer them, but a very special group if the amount of forum activity is any indication.

Hybrids will be more involved and require more from you, not less.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:47 PM   #13
Summer2Go

And I have my 183 because I want to sleep as many adult sized people as I can, and still tow with my explorer. Till I retire I am only camping in the summer, and I don't want to drive and insure a larger TV all year round. We are coming from a popup, where everything had to packed down low to close the camper. So the Roo is great!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Hope you enjoyed your Labor Day weekend camping.

Please share your thoughts with me.

I went from a 28' Travel Trailer to a Rockwook Roo23IKSS, so much easier to tow and setup, tons of interior and sleeping room, and much better then the Pop Up Rockwood 296 we were looking at. I like this one for the simple reason if I pull into a campground and it is raining, I can just leave it attached, hook up sewer, water, electric and put slides out and use it.

Tags
hybrid