Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #1

Just picked up a project. Need help

I just purchased a 2001 Wilderness Yukon 723c. I am having issues getting Propane to turn on. No propane flows. I replaced the regulator and still nothing. Any thoughts? It looks as though the water heater line was unhooked for a while. I have capped this and working on testing and still nothing.
tsamrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #2

bad hose from tank to regulator. try tightening hose nob with large pliers to tank. test tank on a bbq grill. tank valves get hard to push in on tank if tank has been sitting for a while.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
Site Team

Even though the Wilderness Yukon is a Fleetwood unit, we still may be able to help.

Don't take this wrong, but are you sure there's propane in the cylinder(s)?

Make sure that you're tightening the type 1 nut all the way. Sometimes it'll feel like it's tight, but it isn't tight enough to open the cylinder check valve.

Do you have a auto changeover regulator? If so make sure it has the side corresponding to the side you're turning on selected as primary?

Have you tried the cylinders on a grill or other burner to make sure there's not something wrong at the valve?
Old 11-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #4

stove top doesnt light? might take a minute or 2 to clear lines of air.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #5

If your propane line is open somewhere. Like at the stove top. And you open the valve at the tank. There is a safety feature that will not allow the tank to release gas. On my setup it sometimes activates even if I open the valve to quickly and my lines are empty.

So try turning on the valve very slowly. But immediately check for leaks.

Good Luck.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:06 PM   #6

Thanks everyone! I will take a look at these tonight. I have waited a long time and still nothing. The flow "meter" on my regulator does not move at all and always stays red.

I have two full tanks on the rig. The new regulator also came complete with both hoses and a selectable regulator. I have tried both tanks turning it off and slowly opening. I will have to run some air through the system and see if I can find any leaks.
tsamrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #7
Site Team

If the indicator on the regulator never turns green then it's not seeing any gas pressure. So your problem could be at the cylinders or you got a bad regulator.

What model regulator do you have?
Old 11-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #8

WELL...

insects have a terrible habit of building MUD nests in tiny holes like propane lines... Can you even blow any air through any of the propane lines you have hooked up? You mentioned this was unhooked for a long time.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #9

Do you have a propane detector inside the RV and is the GREEN light on?
Propane detectors can be wired to a solenoid that turns off the flow.
A low battery can kill the detector AND detectors die a natural death around every 5 years.
The detectors are replaceable and sold in all RV shops. Amazon also. See Safe T Alert.
Dunno if this applies to your unit but worth a check.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:40 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Do you have a propane detector inside the RV and is the GREEN light on?
Propane detectors can be wired to a solenoid that turns off the flow.
A low battery can kill the detector AND detectors die a natural death around every 5 years.
The detectors are replaceable and sold in all RV shops. Amazon also. See Safe T Alert.
Dunno if this applies to your unit but worth a check.
This is a Hybrid, no such thing like a motor home.

One thing is making sure all appliances are switched off.

Open propane slowly, might be thinking there is a leak.

Next thing is to replace the hoses, they have little valves inside that might be plugged.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #11

If the propane tank valve was opened to quickly and is locked out, the tank must be flipped upside down to release the safety stop, I was instructed by propane service tech on this
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel.mullins4 View Post
If the propane tank valve was opened to quickly and is locked out, the tank must be flipped upside down to release the safety stop, I was instructed by propane service tech on this

Never heard of that. Simply turn off the tank, unscrew the hose, reattach and turn on slowly. You may not even to remove the hose.

I believe the excess flow stop is in the hose connection, not the tank.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps33 View Post
Simply turn off the tank, unscrew the hose, reattach and turn on slowly. You may not even to remove the hose.
Yes. This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps33 View Post
I believe the excess flow stop is in the hose connection, not the tank.
It is actually integral to the regulator.

Bruce
Old 11-18-2020, 09:50 PM   #14

Stop is in the tank, let’s say someone opens the tank valve with no connection, the flow will stop, test it your self, federal requirement, do it, and then post your result
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
It is actually integral to the regulator.
There may be one in the regulator but there is also one in the large screw on end of the hose.

That was the reason for switching to that type of connection instead of the left handed threads of yesteryear.

BTW, I still have some hoses with the left handed threads and no safety valve.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
There may be one in the regulator but there is also one in the large screw on end of the hose.

That was the reason for switching to that type of connection instead of the left handed threads of yesteryear.

BTW, I still have some hoses with the left handed threads and no safety valve.
Not all ACME nuts/tank/bottle connectors are created equal. Most (probably all) that you find on newer RVs have two safety devices — one thermal disconnect that will melt when it gets hot enough and prevent fire from entering the tank/bottle, plus a flow limiting device that will reduce the flow in an excess-flow situation. However some of these connectors only have one of these two safety devices or they have no safety device at all. The only “special” part common to all of the ACME threaded connectors is, they have a nipple at the end to depress the plunger in the OPD to allow gas to exit the tank/bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel.mullins4 View Post
Stop is in the tank, let’s say someone opens the tank valve with no connection, the flow will stop, test it your self, federal requirement, do it, and then post your result
The flow limiter is not in the tank/bottle. It is not part of the OPD. The OPD’s only purpose is to limit the level of propane filled into a tank/bottle.

About OPD valves:
https://www.propane101.com/opdcylindervalves.htm

I have torches that consume over 500.000 BTUH that I connect to 20# and 30# bottles using the green Acme threaded connectors that can blow a flame over six feet long. Needless to say, there are no flow limiters in the way of this propane and there are no regulators on the lines — just full-blast propane at about 150psi to 200psi, depending on what the ambient temperature is where I am working with them.

If there is a flow limiter, it is either built into the ACME connector or into the smaller (like on RVs and house meter racks) appliance-type regulators.

Bruce