Old 12-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #1

Looking to purchase a hybrid...thoughts?

Hi friends! I'm curious...are there any makes/models you'd stay away from because of poor construction? I'm looking at Palomino, Jayco, KZ, coleman. I understand each will need to be maintained. But are there any glaring things wrong with any of these? Thanks so much!

Odachowski12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odachowski12 View Post
Hi friends! I'm curious...are there any makes/models you'd stay away from because of poor construction? I'm looking at Palomino, Jayco, KZ, coleman. I understand each will need to be maintained. But are there any glaring things wrong with any of these? Thanks so much!
Only one of those is a FR brand. We do have owners of other brands here but I don't know how much info you'll get on the others.

Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #3

We have a Coachman Clipper 15RB, 2015 model built in 2014.
No glaring problems, mostly minor to me stuff, which could be a roaring disaster to others.
Left side brakes did not even come on. Easy for me to fix and a good reason to lube the hubs correctly.
Radio had no reception. I opened up the compartment and cleaned out all the debris and removed about thirty feet if excess wire and plugged in the antenna.
C rated tires were almost at the weight limit and had a 62mph speed rating.
These things could be a train wreck for someone not very mechanically inclined.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:33 AM   #4

I have a 2016 23ss and no problems only the water tank brackets

Jayco I never liked the floor set up

1 you have to climb over the dinette to get in the front bunk and

2 the stove and burner's was right next to the couch and I was looking at the chances of someone getting burned , to me that was hazard
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #5

I'm not aware of anything out of the ordinary with any of the brands you mention...Find a model and floor plan you like that is within you tow vehicle weight limits... Another important factor in your decision is, if you're not handy, what's brands are available from a local dealer that you trust.
Equalizer WDH
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
I have a 2016 23ss and no problems only the water tank brackets

Jayco I never liked the floor set up

1 you have to climb over the dinette to get in the front bunk and

2 the stove and burner's was right next to the couch and I was looking at the chances of someone getting burned , to me that was hazard
Exactly the same here. No issues with our 2012 23SS. When we were shopping, we looked at Jayco as we had a Jayco pop-up. However, we didn't like the floor plans, fit and finish or having to climb over a dinette to enter the bunk.

No regrets with the ROO.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #7

2009 23SS and no issues to speak of. We loved the floor plan for just the two of us.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #8

We have a 23kss and previously owned a Roo19. Both units have been good
Old 12-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Pretty much all of the different brands put out the same quality of units as far as manufacturing quality control is concerned.

First off...dry weight doesn't mean squat!

How much it weighs when loaded means everything!

Make sure you buy within the real tow ratings of the vehicle you plan to tow it with...and not the max tow weight rating it says it is capable of pulling!

Those are two totally different numbers that often get confused (and ignored) by many around here!

Just pick out the trailer you like...make sure that the dealer does a complete PDI (typically 3-4 hours long) to show you how (and if) everything in it works and to find and fix any issues BEFORE you sign any paperwork or they hook it up to your tow vehicle.

And...most important...

DON'T plan a cross country trip of a lifetime for the very first campout with it!

Do the first two or three locally to make sure there aren't any hidden issues that might pop up to ruin that trip of a lifetime!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #10

2019 Rockwood Roo 233S

We purchased our ROO 233S last spring and took it on 9 trips this year. It has a ton of space with 3 pop out and a slide out. We looked at several other manufacturers with similar layouts and the build quality was what sold us. Yes some are going to have issues but from what we have seen we are happy. Totally recommend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mod81686.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	193308   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180812_161126.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	193309   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180622_161249.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	193310  
Old 12-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #11

Howdy, We bought a 23BDS Roo this year, (2018) . So far no problems. My wife and I used it a few times this year, Bought it for the murphy bed for us and rear hybrid bed for the Grandson. Traded down from a 34' TT. All works as advertised. Good luck w/your purchase
Old 12-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #12

hybrid models within makes and the changes made every year, and sometimes within a model year makes it tough to say any particular make/model/year HAS or does NOT have problems...

Find a model maybe on a dealer lot OR in one of the many RV shows/sales that will be appearing throughout the winter/spring seasons. Then do research on that specific make/model comparing a recent year, either here for FR products or another forum.

My 2014 Shamrock 183, a budget hybrid with three tips outs has been great for going on 5 years.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #13

Our previous trailer was a Dutchman Kodiak Hybrid. We loved it, but traded it in for a FR, Rockwood 2304KS. Both about the same foot print, but the pop out gave us more room.

Only 2 complaints about the Hybrid...
1, A largen hail stone from a storm in Arkansan pierced the canvas. Act of God and, realistically, we sustained less damage than MANY other campers.
2, Sleaping in a hybrid is the equivilant to tent camping, or sleeping outside. Many camp grounds are located right next to RR tracks. Our hard sided trailer is significantly quieter.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #14

As far as I know, most to all manufacturers / lines are built with workers who get paid based on how many units they push out the door in a day. There is nowhere near the standardization, quality control, tool support that go into making cars and trucks. The line that built my trailer has rigs moving every 15 minutes. Watching work on a tour, workers were RUNNING to get all the steps done at several stations. It looked like you had to be under 40 to handle the pace. Contrast that to any video of the workers on the major car/truck lines, steady deliberate pace, not slacking but also not running. So, expect to have issues. If you end up in the average to lucky grouping, your issues will be few and minor. To get the quality level we see in cars and trucks, the prices would be substantially higher.

With that said, I'm happy with my trailer.

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #15

HTT

Loved our Rockwood Roo 23SS! Flagstaff Shamrocks are identical, even have a floor plan now with a fireplace! Jayco Jay Feathers have some great floor plans too.
justjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odachowski12 View Post
Jayco and Rockwood are the 2 brands out of what you mentioned that I would consider. The Jayco x22n and x23e are the two models that stand out for me as they are on the bigger side. I owned a Jayco 19H and it is solidly built and reliable. That said, I just purchased a Roo 235 this week because of the outdoor kitchen and interior layout that will be more functional for how I want to camp. Each brand seems to have their strengths. Rockwood seems to put higher end features in standard and attention to framing and solid construction.

If you love tent camping but want the modern amenities and creature comforts then a hybrid is for you! Sleeping under a tent just feels like camping to me and while we could have switched to a hardside, we decided to buy a new hybrid instead. We love opening the tent ends and getting a breeze and hearing the waves on the lake.
kennibc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #17

We've had no problems with our 2014 233s. We love it to this day, only wish we could take it out more often! Only problem we've had so far is we had to get the electric tongue jack replaced, but it wasn't an issue with the trailer's construction. What really sold us is how roomy these hybrids are. We only have 2 kids, but a ton of cousins around the same ages who we love bringing along with us. Never a lack of space!

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
We have a Coachman Clipper 15RB, 2015 model built in 2014.
No glaring problems, mostly minor to me stuff, which could be a roaring disaster to others.
Left side brakes did not even come on. Easy for me to fix and a good reason to lube the hubs correctly.
Radio had no reception. I opened up the compartment and cleaned out all the debris and removed about thirty feet if excess wire and plugged in the antenna.
C rated tires were almost at the weight limit and had a 62mph speed rating.
These things could be a train wreck for someone not very mechanically inclined.
You are right, these would be a deal breaker and disaster for me, as i can barely find the right end of the wrench
Leningradka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin-1 View Post
We purchased our ROO 233S last spring and took it on 9 trips this year. It has a ton of space with 3 pop out and a slide out. We looked at several other manufacturers with similar layouts and the build quality was what sold us. Yes some are going to have issues but from what we have seen we are happy. Totally recommend.
In your pictures, I saw bikes. How do you carry them? Just pile them inside? (off topic, sorry)
Old 05-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennibc View Post
Jayco and Rockwood are the 2 brands out of what you mentioned that I would consider. The Jayco x22n and x23e are the two models that stand out for me as they are on the bigger side. I owned a Jayco 19H and it is solidly built and reliable. That said, I just purchased a Roo 235 this week because of the outdoor kitchen and interior layout that will be more functional for how I want to camp. Each brand seems to have their strengths. Rockwood seems to put higher end features in standard and attention to framing and solid construction.
Do you feel that Jayco brand is built as well as FR/Shamrock? TIA

Tags
hybrid