Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #21

I know FR has mattress upgrades ( including a Serta mattress) on their accessories web page (now hosted by someone else).

I am not sure how well these would work in your unit, you may need to store them on the dinning table when traveling.

http://forestriver.wildmanstores.com...&Submit=Search

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancythecamper View Post
I greatly appreciate this post I knew I would want to have a really comfy bed. I like good support but my bones need a cushy top! After 2 nites in the same unit / mattress you describe, I intend to invest in a good quality 4" topper ~ whatever I have to do to store it will be worth it. We did use a 2" good quality foam topper but it just wasn't enough for us. The fancy one at Camping World looked wonderful....... we'll see...... I think it's a matter of weight too, if you are lighter weight, the 2" would proly be fine...I do appreciate your thought of having padding for 3 beds. Will you need to use three each time you go out? I expect to use one all the time but would like others available to take with me when needed. Costco and Sams have great pricing.
My camper is being delivered next week. Time is running short so I purchased a couple of mattress toppers for the 233s. I have three beds but will start with two as I am not fully convinced of the quality/comfort of the two toppers I am getting. I will try them out and let that trial be my guide in purchasing number three.

I have a tendency to over research things and researching these foam toppers has been a chore. These toppers seem to come down to size, thickness and foam density. (and type of foam...gel or otherwise)

SIZE
With the Roo bunks you need queen (60x80). I'm wondering how close a fit the toppers will be to the stock mattress stacking one on the other. Others here have mentioned cutting them to fit. Hmmm. Not sure about that.

THICKNESS
I thought about 2" as many here recommended that and even looked at 4" but began to wonder if I went that route if I'd be so high I could kiss the canvas above me when laying on my back. I have settled in on 3". I"m wondering if the stock heated mattress will hold up the foam topper. One of my concerns.

FOAM DENSITY
Most toppers I saw advertised came in 3 lb foam. I saw on Amazon one with a density of 5.3 lb. They compared it to tempurpedic foam. I have decided to get two toppers. One is 4lb and I'm not sure of the other. Its more expensive than the 4 lb but its a gel memory foam. I have read good things about the gel memory foam. We'll see.

I purchased from Costco as they have a very generous return policy. I am trying these two out and this trial will help me determine what kind my third should be. They will be arriving in a couple of days and then I have to "inflate" them. I guess you open up the packaging...unwrap..and let it do its thing for up to a week (air out and harden up). Then its ready for use or so I've read.

Here are my purchases just in case others want to investigate for themselves.
COSTCO
Novaform® 3" Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper (QUEEN)
and
Comfort Revolution Memory Foam Mattress Toppers (QUEEN)

A close runner up was a Serta Mattress Topper 3" thickness and 4 lb density from Overstock.com. In case of my desire to make a change I thought it much easier to pile it into my vehicle for an inperson return/exchange at a Costco rather than pack up and ship back to Overstock.com. I've read that getting these back into the original packing/box can be more difficult than putting toothpaste back into the tube!

I am still keeping the option open of purchasing this from Amazon:
3 Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper - Extra Plush - 5.3-lb Density Mattress - 80D w/ FREE memory foam pillow - 100% refund for 90 days - no questions asked!

I would not purchase this for all three beds as its rather spendy but for the pilot/co-pilot this may be what the doctor ordered but only if the other two are not cutting the mustard.

So now...the waiting and then the inflating.

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancythecamper View Post
After 2 nites in the same unit / mattress you describe, I intend to invest in a good quality 4" topper ~ whatever I have to do to store it will be worth it. We did use a 2" good quality foam topper but it just wasn't enough for us.
Hey Clancy...did you ever get that 4" topper?

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #24
Rodney & Patty

Posting on a few Mattress topics because I think it's worth sharing: Being in the same boat as the rest above, we have suffered with our original mattress in our 15 Salem 5er for longer than we should have. We hated the idea of spending too much on a mattress that we only sleep on 30-40 nights year. Even with the $200 topper it was still terrible for more than a night or two. We decided today to hit up the local mattress stores to see what we could muster. Most of which only had the standard residential sizes available but when we stopped at Imex furniture (New Hartford, NY 315-738-7976) they are an Eclipse Mattress dealer - made in America, NJ plant serves our area. The sales manager, Paul knew that they had nothing but standard sizes and would have nothing that would perfectly replace our Olympic Queen (66x80) so he called the factory directly to see if they could custom make us a mattress. We picked the pocketed innerspring, plush, that we liked from the floor displays and they are custom making us a one of a kind. I was almost afraid to ask the price but it is the same price as the next standard size up - in our case a king. We have went down the road of buying a mail order, rolled up foam mattress and have no desire to go down that path again. I am very heat sensitive and since we camp in warmer weather, I feel like I am melting and am unable to sleep on memory foam. Can't wait for our mattress to come in - it's about a 2 week wait being a special order.

2015 Salem Hemishere 337 BAR
2014 Ram 3500SRW Laramie 6.7 I6
rdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdenslow View Post
Posting on a few Mattress topics because I think it's worth sharing: Being in the same boat as the rest above, we have suffered with our original mattress in our 15 Salem 5er for longer than we should have. We hated the idea of spending too much on a mattress that we only sleep on 30-40 nights year. Even with the $200 topper it was still terrible for more than a night or two. We decided today to hit up the local mattress stores to see what we could muster. Most of which only had the standard residential sizes available but when we stopped at Imex furniture (New Hartford, NY 315-738-7976) they are an Eclipse Mattress dealer - made in America, NJ plant serves our area. The sales manager, Paul knew that they had nothing but standard sizes and would have nothing that would perfectly replace our Olympic Queen (66x80) so he called the factory directly to see if they could custom make us a mattress. We picked the pocketed innerspring, plush, that we liked from the floor displays and they are custom making us a one of a kind. I was almost afraid to ask the price but it is the same price as the next standard size up - in our case a king. We have went down the road of buying a mail order, rolled up foam mattress and have no desire to go down that path again. I am very heat sensitive and since we camp in warmer weather, I feel like I am melting and am unable to sleep on memory foam. Can't wait for our mattress to come in - it's about a 2 week wait being a special order.
Unfortunately, this thread is posted in the Hybrid section.
Hybrid mattresses have to be foldable.
So a standard mattress like yours is useless in a Hybrid TT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:08 PM   #26

We bought a 3" memory foam topper from Costco queen for $140 but realized it was heavy and seemed to want to tear pretty easily. I thought that wouldn't last folding up, and I didn't want to have to store it rolled up somewhere as space is limited. I did put it on our old select comfort bed at home which it was well worth it as it made it feel better then new. Then I bought 2 twin size trifolding 2" thick novaform mats for $50 each from costco. We lay them front to back on top of the factory front queen mattress to actually make it a king. This is on a Solaire 190x and there is a little bench and two tables there that support the end of the pads where our feet are. These mats our encased in canvas to protect them and are light and clip up with the factory straps when folded up. We might buy a couple more to use on the lumpy jacknife or just on the floor for kids, for $50 they seem like a good buy.

This is what they look like but like I said we got them at costco for $50
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...9/product.html
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:33 AM   #27

please tell us the cost
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:17 AM   #28

Hello-

233S

2" Memory Foam purchased from Amazon. Exact listing is Queen sized 2" thick Ultra Premium Visco Elastic Memory Foam mattress topper 79.99

Put right on top, no trimming. It doesn't fit perfectly but it doesn't matter because sheet goes right over no problem, there is no need for trimming.

Store it on the kitchen table, as many others seem to also.

It is comfortable!
Nandev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:51 PM   #29

We use a 4 inch air mattress we got from Walmart for $16.00. We had a pump so it is easy to inflate and doesn't take hardly any room when deflated. We use it underneath the bunk mattress and it works great.
Ben M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:23 PM   #30

We love the mattresses in our 233S, but had a pop-up before that. We bought Walmart air mattresses that we kept on the beds when it was parked, I just bought a cheap pump, inflated it enough to be comfortable, and then deflated it when breaking down. Worked superbly for many years, topped with a down comforter it was heaven!
Cindy Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:02 AM   #31
3boxerss

When we had our hybrid we had 3 inch toppers. DH just laid a 2x4 on it where needed cut and ran one of his exacto knives across the edge of the board as i kneeled on one end of the board to keep it in place. Had to cut it since ours was a queen short and buying a regular sized queen and cutting off the bottom was cheaper . The queen side folded up nicely with not too much bulging but the full sized bed on other side of camper we would have to take it off and roll it up secured with bungee cord and layed on the sofa. .Our last travel trailer we bought a queen sized topper and cut it in half for our bunk beds.

Previous Campers
2017 FR Wildwood 201 BHXL
2001 Traillite Bantam B19
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #32

What are pop-uo gizmos??..new to hybrids
Cmkrohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:35 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmkrohne View Post
What are pop-uo gizmos??..new to hybrids
Google:

https://www.popupgizmos.com/
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:35 PM   #34
Retired Panpsychist

Pine Forest -

FR switched the mattress structure in our 2020 Roo from spring to foam. The switch may have occurred sometime in 2019 also. I certainly wouldn’t call our mattresses “springy”! You may want to check yours out before you go too far with mods.

That being said, we added 3” memory foam toppers and store them (folded in half) on the dinette. We sleep like babies!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s