Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #1

Moisture under mattresses

Ok folks - looking to the experienced here ... just back from a great week out with our Surveyor 221ST - we are struggling with how people with hybrid trailers deal with the moisture / condensation that seems to be a fact of life? Any tricks and tips to make it less of a hassle ?
ScottGillingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
Site Team

I tried a variety of things.
The best was putting an old wool blanket under the mattress.
The allowed for a thermal barrier and some air movement.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
Summer2Go

How about creating a fleece fabric piece to cover the bottom of the mattress. Not the warmth of wool.
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions -heading out again in a couple of weeks - will definitely try[emoji106]
ScottGillingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGillingham View Post
Ok folks - looking to the experienced here ... just back from a great week out with our Surveyor 221ST - we are struggling with how people with hybrid trailers deal with the moisture / condensation that seems to be a fact of life? Any tricks and tips to make it less of a hassle ?

I live in Canada and I've learned the hard way from experience that you must leave a crack open at the corner of at least one of your flaps. Also, leave a minimal crack open on your max air fan and run it on low. This will keep the air moving. Happy camping
Rooikss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
Site Team

The issue with the mattress is the moisture from your body goes through the mattress and condenses on the cold surface of the bunk end. To prevent this, I have used two self inflating sleeping bag pads ( thin air mattress that self fills with air) or a sheet of foam wall insulation under the mattress. You just need to keep what ever contacts the bottom of the mattress warm. In addition, when it is real cold outside, place a pool noodle between the mattress and the walls to allow circulation.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooikss View Post
I live in Canada and I've learned the hard way from experience that you must leave a crack open at the corner of at least one of your flaps. Also, leave a minimal crack open on your max air fan and run it on low. This will keep the air moving. Happy camping
It's tough to beat the condensation, particularly if there are more than 2 people in the trailer.

I do the same leave a window or flap open, even on Thanksgiving weekend. I'm usually the first one up in the morning and i'll turn on the Fantastic fan for a few minutes as well to help circulate air.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote