Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #1

New Owner of a 2008 Too 23ss. TV question

I have signed the dotted line on a used in excellent condition 2008 ROO 23ss. My family is totally excited as this is our first camper! I cannot find the specs of the TV antenna anywhere and am asking for some assistance. I know this is right on the edge of the digital antennas and am curious if the one on my unit is an analog or digital. As stations typically do not broadcast analog anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
fvrs7189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. The antenna doesn't really care if its called analog or digital it will work to some degree. Its the turner in the tV that make the difference between analog or digital. one is a broad signal one is narrow. the old Batwing Wineguard will pick up digital TV but when you add a Wineguard wingman you normally can pull in more signals. the biggest item to check is if the signal booster for the antenna works.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new camper.
As to the antenna,some have upgraded and had success. A lot depends on the terrain and the distance to the station's transmitter.
Seems like if you're much more than 50 miles from the station, reception is problematic.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
Site Team

There is no real "digital" tv antenna
You can get a digital signal using a rabbit ears antenna.
It's the tv that makes the difference.
Your antenna is a Wineguard batwing type, the same as I have in my 2007 23SS.
I get great high Def picture from the Wineguard antenna.

Digital TV antennas are one of the great marketing scams.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:05 AM   #5

I have always had TV antennas at my house, DW hates tv in general and has no taste for cable. I live on the second highest hill in my county so I have always pulled in great signals even back in the vhf days, I always bought the biggest vhf rig radio shack carried and used a rotor to get my signals dialed in, whenever they switched over to digital tv (using the uhf bandwidth) I bought a digital tv antenna from antennas direct (the thing was a fraction of the size of my old vhf rig and my rotor quit) hooked it up with a cheap walmart cable and BOOM 22 PERFECT channels! A clear perfect picture like I had never seen before!

All I did was aim it toward Pgh!

Fast forward to now, same digital tv antenna and my last scan netted me 55 free channels. All perfect hd on my 60 inch.

An over the air digital picture is perfect hd, no filters, the nfl games are perfect quality.

When I ordered the antenna, I talked to the owner of antennas direct and he told me his antennas were really enhanced uhf antennas, he has fine tuned them like crazy since and I am temped to buy 3 - 4 section antennas with amps built in and put them up like a trangle, fix my rotor and pull in what ohio is sending also some wv.

I saw the antenna I have in wamart not too long ago, so my brother bought one and I bolted it to the side of his house, (he is my neighbor) he gets the same scan i get, but he likes tv even less than my wife so, he only watches football.

There absolutely is such a thing as an hd tv antenna and they wirk great!
Old 03-09-2017, 03:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
There absolutely is such a thing as an hd tv antenna and they wirk great!
No, there is not. You just happen to have bought a well-designed antenna.
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #7

I put the rabbit ears off a TV we bought in 1989 on our new LCD flat screen and they pull in the over the air digital TV signal just fine. The big difference in analog to digital signals is the digital is kind of all or nothing. So while you might have pulled in an old weak analog signal with some snow that you considered watchable, the new digital signal won't come in at all. Then when it does come in it's beautiful crystal clear.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #8

Basically, if it's a flat screen you have a digital reciever. If a tube tv, you have an analog receiver and will need a digital converter box.
Chunk6649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk6649 View Post
Basically, if it's a flat screen you have a digital reciever. If a tube tv, you have an analog receiver and will need a digital converter box.
Basically, but the antenna on the roof is the same on a 1955 model or a 2017 model, and antenna is an antenna. Buy a new flat panel TV to put inside and it will have all the necessary digital receivers built in. If the camper still has a big honking tube TV in it, it's time to ditch it anyway.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #10

Thanks for all the reply's. I have put a newer HD tv in and the PIC is great! just waiting a few more weeks till time to de-winterize and take out on it's maiden voyage! Thanks again and I am sure I will be asking a bunch more questions.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
Site Team

so you got a HD picture with the regular old stock batwing, right?
you didn't need any new fancy HD antenna?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 04-04-2017, 05:29 AM   #12

Yes that is correct. With the OE antenna, was able to get HD with a newer TV. I had an older SD that did not look nearly as good (obviously). Put this newer HDTV in, and the picture is great! More than good enough for the little TV watching we will do while camping.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #13
Site Team

Thanx.
A lot of people get scammed into buying a new "HD" antenna, to replace the old batwing antenna, because they're told they need a "HD" antenna to get HD picture on their HD tv.

It's the tv that makes the difference, rarely the antenna.

Tags
23ss