Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to eprovenzano Send a message via MSN to eprovenzano
No 12 Volt power from battery, problem solved

I was prepping my Palomino for the season. I installed the battery (fully charged) but was not getting 12 volt into the camper. I plugged into 110 power, and the 12 volt system works as it should. So I began checking fuses. I pulled every 12 volt fuse in the camper, all were good... rechecked the battery to make sure it was connected correctly (white, ground to the negative terminal, red, hot to the positive terminal). The power jack was working (it's connected directly to the battery) so I knew the battery was connected correctly. Since I was there, I pulled the ground connection, sanded the frame and cleaned the wire connector and reconnected.

I grabbed my old tester and started checking volts. The battery had 12.78 volts, but zero at the 12 volt fuse panel. When plugged into 110, the fuse panel had over 13 volts. I even drug the battery into the camper and ran wires from the battery to the fuse panel, and the 12 volt system worked... So I'm now sure the issue was between the battery box and the fuse panel. I knew I needed to trace the wires from the fuse panel to the battery box. I crawl under camper following the wiring from the battery to the fuse panel. I found a self resetting fuse, a rusty crusty self resetting fuse. I ran a temporary wire from the hot (negative) side of the battery to the out side of the self resetting fuse... we have power... So I ran to the auto parts store and picked up a 30 amp self resetting fuse. I swapped it out and now all is well is my world.

If you're sure the battery is connected correctly, and you're not getting power into the 12 volt fuse panel, trace the wires looking for a self resetting fuse. That could be your problem.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #2

One of the first things I did was getting rid of those circuit breakers.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Common issue reported here often.

Glad you found it.

Many have reported putting those re-settable 12v circuit breakers in a weather resistant box or spraying them with a good anti-corrosion film.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to eprovenzano Send a message via MSN to eprovenzano
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

Many have reported putting those re-settable 12v circuit breakers in a weather resistant box or spraying them with a good anti-corrosion film.
I think putting the breaker into something is a good idea. I'm sure I can fab something to keep it out of the weather.

Thanks for the tip
Old 05-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprovenzano View Post
I found a self resetting fuse, a rusty crusty self resetting fuse. I ran a temporary wire from the hot (negative) side of the battery to the out side of the self resetting fuse... we have power... So I ran to the auto parts store and picked up a 30 amp self resetting fuse. I swapped it out and now all is well is my world.

If you're sure the battery is connected correctly, and you're not getting power into the 12 volt fuse panel, trace the wires looking for a self resetting fuse. That could be your problem.
Glad you got it figured out. Many RV's have a manual reset 12 volt DC circuit breaker, which is the problem a lot of times. We even keep a sticky in the FAQ section about it.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...et-154141.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:47 PM   #6

I always keep a spare in my toolbox. I've replaced a couple since we bought our unit in 2012.
oldcomputerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
Old Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
One of the first things I did was getting rid of those circuit breakers.
They are installed to protect the wiring and prevent a fire.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcomputerwiz View Post
I always keep a spare in my toolbox. I've replaced a couple since we bought our unit in 2012.
Think I will due the same
Thx

Tbd
2020 Trailhawk toad
Semper Fi
Pillboxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Yep, a tripped resettable circuit breaker is probably the #1 cause of no 12v power but everything works with shore power.
Most times is from crossing the wires when the battery is being reinstalled.
I've lost track of how many times this happens and how many times a pic of the breaker is posted.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleckDreher View Post
They are installed to protect the wiring and prevent a fire.

LOL. Yes. Which is why I put in a way more reliable breaker away from the elements.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, battery, power