Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
When traveling through NH we asked a motel owner if we could set up in the back parking lot. They were more then happy to allow us. They did ask that we use the restaurant for breakfast. We used it for dinner and breakfast. The owners took us to the back and showed us where to park. They even gave us a parking spot that had 15 amp hydro.
Do you get (Shocked) when there is Electric running in the Water hose? Youroo!! We were able to (Turtle) on short stops with our Roo,but there were only (2) of us!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #22

Here is a pretty helpful site with details on free overnight parking places:

http://www.overnightrvparking.com

With our 23IKSS we need to deploy one slide in order to get back to the bathroom. I prefer to deploy the couch/dinette slide and will find an area to park where there is grass or a curb on that side so the slide isn't sticking out in the way. Depending on the trip there are usually four or five of us traveling plus the dog. I will deploy the front bunk for my wife, the fur ball and me, and the kids will use the air bed and dinette if needed. Deploying the front bunk can be done without unhitching from our TV, and doesn't increase our overall footprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #23
Engineer of Crazy Train

I am happy to be hearing from people that do it. Thank you DK for your input.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
It was a long weekend and all the CG in the area were full plus the motel had no vacancies. They were great people forgot the name of the small village but was near the Santa Village.

You mean the Santa's Village in Bracebridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Do you get (Shocked) when there is Electric running in the Water hose? Youroo!! We were able to (Turtle) on short stops with our Roo,but there were only (2) of us!

Around here hydro = electricity, since we get our power from hydroelectric generation at Niagara Falls. Some people don't even remember that the term 'hydro' actually refers to water.

The electric company that supplies our house is even called 'Hydro One'.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:39 PM   #25

Quote:
It was a long weekend and all the CG in the area were full plus the motel had no vacancies. They were great people forgot the name of the small village but was near the Santa Village.
Sounds like you were in Bethlehem.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:25 AM   #26

Upgraded from a PUP to a Hybrid last October, so for us, at least, setting up our Roo is a quick and easy... even for just an overnight. Speaking of overnights, I have heard that outdoor stores like Bass Pro, Cabela's and others actually welcome overnighters at their facilities. Maybe that might work in your plans, especially versus a Wally-World.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I am happy to be hearing from people that do it. Thank you DK for your input.
You're welcome! One wrinkle I found the first time we camped in a parking lot - without an electric hookup, none of the power outlets in the camper worked. I knew that ahead of time, but had not thought about blowing up the air bed. There is a battery power pump that comes with the air bed, but knucklehead me never purchased batteries for it because we'd never used it. Luckily a gas station nearby had some batteries.

Since then, I purchased one of those inverters that plugs into the cigarette lighter port in the entertainment console. That way we will always have at least one 115v outlet.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 01-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #28
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
You're welcome! One wrinkle I found the first time we camped in a parking lot - without an electric hookup, none of the power outlets in the camper worked. I knew that ahead of time, but had not thought about blowing up the air bed. There is a battery power pump that comes with the air bed, but knucklehead me never purchased batteries for it because we'd never used it. Luckily a gas station nearby had some batteries.

Since then, I purchased one of those inverters that plugs into the cigarette lighter port in the entertainment console. That way we will always have at least one 115v outlet.
Good point. We have an Aerobed that literally fell off a train (Box of 4 on the ground just outside the yard. Someone must have broken into a shipping container and it fell out.) We will have to come up with plan B for that.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #29

Has anyone joined that "overnight RV parking" website? If so, is it worth it?

Bonnie
Richbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #30
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbon View Post

Bonnie
I belong to the WalmartRVing group on Yahoo Groups. I find it beneficial to read how folks are doing it.

But truthfully, I just purchased the Allstays RV & Camp app. Pained me to spend $10 but we used it extensively to/from Key West back in December. I honestly wished I had ponied up the money 2 years ago.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbon View Post

Bonnie
I did signup before our first long trip last summer. The cost was less than one night in a typical campground, so I figured it was worth it. We stopped overnight at a Cracker Barrel on the way from SC to NJ, and at a Gander Mtn. on the way back home. They have a lot of info on their site, and I think it already paid for itself. If you provide feedback on the places you stay, they will usually add a month to your subscription.

One of the most helpful things is that even though certain companies like WalMart, Cracker Barrel, Cabelas, etc. may allow overnight parking, some towns do not allow it, and the town laws will trump any corporate policy.

The only thing I wish was that the site had a mobile app for doing lookups. Right now, the only way to access the site is with a browser and it isn't super mobile friendly when using a phone. But from a laptop or tablet it is ok. The developer is working on a mobile app, so once that is available, it will be terrific.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 01-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
just be careful how much you use that inverter, especially if you have only one battery on your trailer and no generator to recharge it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
just be careful how much you use that inverter, especially if you have only one battery on your trailer and no generator to recharge it.
Good point. Fortunately, the only time we are off the grid is when we are traveling from point A to point B and we have to stop overnight in a parking lot.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 01-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #34
Always Learning

Quote:
The only thing I wish was that the site had a mobile app for doing lookups. Right now, the only way to access the site is with a browser and it isn't super mobile friendly when using a phone. But from a laptop or tablet it is ok. The developer is working on a mobile app, so once that is available, it will be terrific.
It might be worth your while to try the Allstays Camp & RV app. $10 is hard to swallow, but it seems to reflect similar information.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It might be worth your while to try the Allstays Camp & RV app. $10 is hard to swallow, but it seems to reflect similar information.
Got that one too. I'm an IT guy so I always have a backup.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 01-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

So is the Allstays really all? (Why do I get the feeling of déjà-vu on this question?).

We don't do road trips so I don't really need to have information on the fly. But I am often frustrated that sites like rvparkreviews and good sams only have like 1/3 of the known parks in the area. $10 might be worth it if I could actually have a comprehensive database of parks I can go to.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #37
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
So is the Allstays really all? (Why do I get the feeling of déjà-vu on this question?).

We don't do road trips so I don't really need to have information on the fly. But I am often frustrated that sites like rvparkreviews and good sams only have like 1/3 of the known parks in the area. $10 might be worth it if I could actually have a comprehensive database of parks I can go to.
It's been really impressive for the bit that we used it. I can take some screenshots of problems areas that you know of if it helps you decide.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's been really impressive for the bit that we used it. I can take some screenshots of problems areas that you know of if it helps you decide.

PM sent.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:12 AM   #39

My parents always overnight in Wally World when they do their trips from Vermont to Florida and back (or on their many other road trips). They have never had a problem. I have an Rpod expandable, which I can turtle in if necessary (my granddaughters and I have done this, they are 2 and 4)... but I have a really comfy bunk that I usually sleep in. I also have never had an issue with Wally World. It is good manners to call ahead just so someone knows you're out there, I've found we're less likely to be bothered.
Michboch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid