Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
CampeRooo

Question about the outside finish

Hello,

I have a question about the finish on the skin of my Roo. I power washed my Roo a while back to get all the Iowa weather off of it and it came out really nice and clean. However, i am noticing that i am able to see some of the fiberglass texture showing through. I have read that there's some kind of gelcoat on the outside of it to protect the fiberglass, but i'm not sure if that's what has worn off or if it just needs a good waxing/polishing. Just seeing what everyone would suggest to make it look smooth and like brand new again. Is there a gelcoat product that can be reapplied or is it a matter of protecting the original gelcoat and now im just stuck with waxing it to keep the fiberglass protected? Not sure what to do...

Thanks
Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #2

I had the same issue on the door skin of our Fleetwood motorhome. I don't really know what causes this. I don't really know how to fix it either sorry to say but If it were me I would contact a local shop that specializes in fiberglass repair, maybe a boat shop or the like. I would think they would have the answer.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
CampeRooo

Ok. Yea, thats what i was thinkin too, maybe finding a shop that specializes in spraying on protective coatings and see what they'd charge...then find out what they use and have my buddy with a paint booth do it for me for the low low price of a case of beer.

I guess i'm a little concerned about it because i've seen what the hot sun can do to boats out here and I certainly don't want to see the trailer end up like that.

thank you

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #4

I had the same problem with an Award TT. the guy I bought it from had it at a seasonal site. the door side of the trailer faced the south and that whole side of the trailer looked worse than yours in a couple of spots. the backside still looked like new. I just kept it clean and never really worried about it. I suppose after a good cleaning a couple of coats of clear coat would seal off the fibers. like was said above, find a bodyshop and see what they say.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #5

I have a Cardinal Fifth Wheel and tried to wash/de-streak/polish this week but had some issues. First off, I was using a liquid polish that is supposed to dry quickly to a haze, then you wipe it off. Well, it left terrible streaks...and it was in the shade and wiped off within 2 minutes, or as soon as it was dry. I put it on again in other places, and it did fine. Tried another spot and it was streaky.

Meanwhile, my friend was working on the front with a product called ICE. It was horrible. We had to go over and over it and it still looks pretty bad.

My RV is only 4 years old and has been well cared for...for the most part it is shiny, but starting to feel and look a bit dull. I'm not sure what to do. There are hints of black streaking still on the front lower part that I can't seem to touch. Also, the bottom 'skirt' area, I guess you'd call it, is sort of gold, and it has streaks that I can't get off either...any ideas?

And what's with all the rusty screws? Aren't they supposed to be weather tested or something?? I had to take a bunch of them out and spray them with Rustoleum.

And, how do you get the mold off of the plastic door supports and the door catches? I have tried so many products that I could open a store...nothing seems to do the trick.

Any help will be appreciated.

Pam
pbiagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiagi View Post
I have a Cardinal Fifth Wheel and tried to wash/de-streak/polish this week but had some issues. First off, I was using a liquid polish that is supposed to dry quickly to a haze, then you wipe it off. Well, it left terrible streaks...and it was in the shade and wiped off within 2 minutes, or as soon as it was dry. I put it on again in other places, and it did fine. Tried another spot and it was streaky.

Meanwhile, my friend was working on the front with a product called ICE. It was horrible. We had to go over and over it and it still looks pretty bad.

My RV is only 4 years old and has been well cared for...for the most part it is shiny, but starting to feel and look a bit dull. I'm not sure what to do. There are hints of black streaking still on the front lower part that I can't seem to touch. Also, the bottom 'skirt' area, I guess you'd call it, is sort of gold, and it has streaks that I can't get off either...any ideas?

And what's with all the rusty screws? Aren't they supposed to be weather tested or something?? I had to take a bunch of them out and spray them with Rustoleum.

And, how do you get the mold off of the plastic door supports and the door catches? I have tried so many products that I could open a store...nothing seems to do the trick.

Any help will be appreciated.

Pam
Clorox Clean-up...comes in a spray bottle, will clean the black streaks and any mold you might have.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #7
Commercial Member

What is pictured above is not a gel coat finish, it is a Filon finish.

It should have looked "strandy" like that from new.... You won't eat away at gel coat with just cleaning it.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:30 AM   #8

I agree with 2008 Wildcat. I have owned three trailers with the Filon exterior and they all looked like that. They don't have a gelcoat like a boat.
maxumbob is offline   Reply With Quote