Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #21

you said it said it was ok in the owners manual. If in doubt go with the manufacturers recommendation that's in your owners manual
Old 06-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #22

Ex-Pert

Remember that an expert is someone who used to be a Pert. The only time I have turned off the propane fridge was on a houseboat I owned and they required it be turned off (as well as a gas water heater) while refueling.

My truck runs diesel. I would like to see a propane fridge located 30 feet behind my truck's fuel door catch my diesel fuel on fire.

The newer fridges will self light the burner if they are blown out. On my old RV fridges you had to light them with a match.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
Old 06-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #23

Mine is always on while travelling. No issues yet. I do turn off before fueling the TV but that also depends on the wind direction. I always fuel up on the farthest outside pump and if it is on the south side with the wind from the south, then no, I don't turn it off. Likewise, if I am on the north side and the wind is from the north, likewise. Everything else I turn the fridge off until I pull away from the area of the pumps.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #24

always ON. Just did a 12 hr trip from PA. No issues
Old 06-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Please provide a link to these experts.
Dan it says retired firefighter EMT on your profile. Just wondering have you ever responded to an accident situation where a vehicle running on propane is leaking propane from somewhere or say a fridge is leaking propane because it was left on?

Just curious because to me that would be scary. I was once stopped close to the front of line in an vehicle collision where the vehicle involved was propane fuelled and they made us move back and would not even let a train go by where the tracks were 100 yards away.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #26
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The experts that manufacture these units advise they can be used while traveling.

Are there 'expert' experts that know something different?
Now in all fairness they experts can not even cut a board straight or not build a quality trailer at times... I'm just kidding.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMarty View Post
Here is the risk.... the flimsy propane lines feeding the stove and fridge run the lower outer edge of the frame. They typically run right above the wheels. When a tire blows, it typically tears apart the area all around the wheel. My buddy just had a blow out last week that caused $3000 in damage to the side and underside of his trailer. If the damage ruptures the propane line, which is feeding unrestricted gas from the tanks because the valve is open to run the fridge, any resulting spark can fuel a fire theat could possibly destroy your entire trailer. I may be in the 1% ...and not one of the "experts"....but the risk is real.
I don't believe anyone questioned your idea of the risks involved. Those of us who have read this forum (daily) for several years have difficulty accepting your personal assessment that "Most experts will advise against leaving the propane on while on the road for safety reasons." Modern propane tanks have "smart" valves which close when propane escapes rapidly. That's why certain members can't get a freshly-installed tank to allow propane flow and we advise them to turn off their valve and turn it back on VERY SLOWLY to keep that auto valve from shutting off flow automatically.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 06-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #28
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Dan it says retired firefighter EMT on your profile. Just wondering have you ever responded to an accident situation where a vehicle running on propane is leaking propane from somewhere or say a fridge is leaking propane because it was left on?

Just curious because to me that would be scary. I was once stopped close to the front of line in an vehicle collision where the vehicle involved was propane fuelled and they made us move back and would not even let a train go by where the tracks were 100 yards away.
I've seen a few RV in minor crashes, one was a class a that caught fire at the gas pump due to an engine issues. Turns out it was full of bullets and they were "shooting" at us until we had to pull back and use remote desk guns (water canons) to put the fire out so we would not get shot.

I might be making this up... But I though the LP regs had a valve or such that kept them from free flowing in the event of a large loss of pressure.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I might be making this up... But I though the LP regs had a valve or such that kept them from free flowing in the event of a large loss of pressure.
See my understanding in post #27 which I added while you were typing.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 06-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #30
Who Dares, Wins

Yep, got me on the MiFi lag at the CG here... Haha!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post

No, did trainings for various flammable situations, motor vehicles, railroad, storage tanks but no actual incidents.
We always carried ERGs(Emergency Response Guidebook) that gave us a lot of info on proper safety guidelines when dealing with fuels like propane, including distances.

When you think about how many vehicles traveling our roads, that use propane, just how rare such incidents are that cause fires.

But you'd be surprised how dangerous hybrid/electric vehicles can be, after they are involved in an accident.
Did a training with Toyota, about how to handle extracting victims out of a Prius. The stored energy in the battery can kill a firefighter, if they aren't careful when cutting into the vehicle.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 06-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #32

Quote:
No, did trainings for various flammable situations, motor vehicles, railroad, storage tanks but no actual incidents.
We always carried ERGs(Emergency Response Guidebook) that gave us a lot of info on proper safety guidelines when dealing with fuels like propane, including distances.

But you'd be surprised how dangerous hybrid/electric vehicles can be, after they are involved in an accident.
Did a training with Toyota, about how to handle extracting victims out of a Prius. The stored energy in the battery can kill a firefighter, if they aren't careful when cutting into the vehicle.
You are spot on. Those orange wires are bright for a reason. I am a ASE master tech and still want nothing to do with them.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #33

Quote:

Most experts will advise against leaving the propane on while on the road for safety reasons.
What qualifies these people as "experts" and has anyone seen their credentials?

Even when it comes to fueling the coach or two vehicle, diesel doesn't care if it's on or not. If it's gasoline, the vapors flow along the ground and don't rise high enough to reach the refrigerator pilot. Look at building codes and see how high above the floor they require a gas water heater in your garage. If it's above 18" it's not considered to be an ignition source for gasoline (unless you were to have a huge spill with the door closed.

Don't believe me? Stand back some time and look at the fumes coming out of the fill spout on your gas powered vehicle (except for areas the "elephant's trunk" type gas nozzles are required). You'll see the ripple in the air where the heavier than air fumes go straight to the ground.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 06-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Here is the risk.... the flimsy propane lines feeding the stove and fridge run the lower outer edge of the frame. They typically run right above the wheels. When a tire blows, it typically tears apart the area all around the wheel. My buddy just had a blow out last week that caused $3000 in damage to the side and underside of his trailer. If the damage ruptures the propane line, which is feeding unrestricted gas from the tanks because the valve is open to run the fridge, any resulting spark can fuel a fire theat could possibly destroy your entire trailer. I may be in the 1% ...and not one of the "experts"....but the risk is real.

Most pigtails have rapid loss shut offs built in . that small ball and spring , many people seem to have issues with them when they turn on the tank .
Old 06-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #35

Refrigerator on while towing?

Hello Everyone, New to this forum & have been camping only three years.

In reference to Towing with Propane On or Off to keep food in frig cold.

My old travel trailer frig was able to work three ways. AC, DC, or Propane.
My new TT has an inverter to switch DC to AC for a residential frig.

Am I missing something?
No one mentions RV Frig running on DC. WHY???
Old 06-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
Hello Everyone, New to this forum & have been camping only three years.

In reference to Towing with Propane On or Off to keep food in frig cold.

My old travel trailer frig was able to work three ways. AC, DC, or Propane.
My new TT has an inverter to switch DC to AC for a residential frig.

Am I missing something?
Most RV fridges now in the larger units are gas/120/ only . the small rv
s ie truck mounted camper will still have the three way fridges
Old 06-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
Because unless you also have a charging system running like in a MH, it takes a lot of battery storage capacity to keep the refrigerator running.

The 3-way refrigerators are most likely a lot more expensive than just 120V/propane units.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 06-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
Remember that an expert is someone who used to be a Pert. The only time I have turned off the propane fridge was on a houseboat I owned and they required it be turned off (as well as a gas water heater) while refueling.

My truck runs diesel. I would like to see a propane fridge located 30 feet behind my truck's fuel door catch my diesel fuel on fire.

The newer fridges will self light the burner if they are blown out. On my old RV fridges you had to light them with a match.
X is defined as a foreign substance, spurt is a drip of water under pressure.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #39
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:

When you think about how many vehicles traveling our roads, that use propane, just how rare such incidents are that cause fires.

Yeah wait until you mess with a tesla.. Scary. Had a serious crash involving one and the fd spent quite a time reading their response book to make sure they did not cut in the wrong spot. Things had batteries in the floors, rockers panels.. Insane.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-10-2018, 06:21 PM   #40

Fridge power source

You can run your 2 way fridge with an inverte so it will run on 120 volts AC when on the road.
With adding one extra type 27 battery, you can run your fridge for 4 to 5 hours.

If you know how it hurt to get burn, wow!! I do !
I will never take a chance ( even 1%) to do that to somme body else!
THINK!
Closed Thread

Tags
refrigerator, towing